The solution for High Streets like Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

The solution for High Streets like Sydenham

Post by Tim Lund »

I was speaking earlier this week to someone who runs a successful central Sydenham business, who said that 'of course, the problem with Sydenham is too many small landlords'. This is something which has been touched on on various threads on this Forum, for example this response of mine to Lee in the KFC in Savacentre grounds? thread
there has to be some effective coordination of the letting policies of Sydenham Road commercial landlords. This would require one landlord, or a small enough group to be able to act cohesively, owning enough properties in a block in the better part of Sydenham Road - e.g. near the station where the footfall is best - and planning a mix of tenant types which will maximise their long term returns.
But yesterday I was struck by a parallel with something generally understood in 'development economics', e.g. the need for land reform. The problem there is generally that agricultural land is either divided up into holdings which mean that farmers can't benefit from economies of scale, or that the benefits of any improvements they make are just creamed off by the landlords, or that the landlords live somewhere else, and aren't in a position to see how they could benefit from doing things better.

The situation on Sydenham Road is very similar, except that we are concerned about people being able to make a living out of retail premises here rather than farming. If we had larger units, of neighbouring units which could be combined, there would be more scope for investment. We probably have a lot of freeholders who are just in it for the fixed freehold income, protected by upward only rent reviews, with the kicker of speculative gains if the premises get so run down that the Council will agree it change of use to residential. They probably have a portfolio of such investments, across different High Streets, diversified to reduce their overall risk. I'm not sure about this - it's why, to find out, it would be good to develop the local database I suggested in this thread, using information in the public domain thanks to the Land Registry.

But we cannot solve this on our own. We need a national - or maybe better London-wide - commercial freehold reform - in which existing commercial landlords are offered a deal which will leave both them and High Streets such as Sydenham Road better off. The value added would come from consolidating holdings geographically, so that we also had landlords who could invest as do the Grosvenor and Howard de Walden estates. Some existing commercial landlords would welcome being put in this position themselves and others would be happy enough to become shareholders in property companies which had these new concentrated holdings. Others would not, but the added value others who did could achieve would mean they could be bought out at attractive premiums.

Should we be alarmed at the idea of much stronger private sector landlords? Not really - they will have an incentive to impose the sort of good regulation Lee, I and I'm sure most other people would like to see on Sydenham Road, and will be able to do it more flexibly. They would still be subject to Local Authority regulation, and probably much more professional in how they respond to it than lots of small landlords who will just ignore the Council as longs as they can - which sometimes seems forever, given the lack of enforcement officers.
Tim Lund

Re: The solution for High Streets like Sydenham

Post by Tim Lund »

There's just been an item on the Today programme highly relevant to this. It's not detailed on their running order for today (yet?), but there was a speaker from a new industry-wide group, the Distressed Retail Property Taskforce, which sound like the sort of initiative which could help progress happen on this sort of thing.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Regarding your first post, it depends whether the developer/landlord has any regard/respect/gives a **** for the area.

If they don't then it's probably worse than the current state of affairs.I don't think it's the main problem either. Lots of areas have the same landlord situation as here and have really interesting high streets that really are 'vibrant' (the most overused word in connection to high streets, especially by politicians, they use it instead of 'shabby' or 'second rate' or 'full of places to get your nails and hair done').
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

leenewham wrote:Regarding your first post, it depends whether the developer/landlord has any regard/respect/gives a **** for the area.)
The whole point is to change the ground rules so that developer/landlord is more likely to have ''any regard/respect/give a **** for the area'.

It is not really likely that any landlord or developer doesn't care about an area, since they are the ones who will benefit most financially from its improvement - it's just that they will often look at a High Street and think - "only so much of this has a future for retail, so let's try to get the rest redeveloped in some way or other" - which currently means residential. You might think this amounts to not having any regard for an area, but many perfectly reasonable landlords will disagree, and I don't think, given that we have to deal with them, that it's very helpful to use this sort of language, even if it seems justifiable in some cases and circumstances.
leenewham wrote:If they don't then it's probably worse than the current state of affairs.
Why? Do you have any evidence?
leenewham wrote:I don't think it's the main problem either. Lots of areas have the same landlord situation as here and have really interesting high streets .
It's certainly not the only problem, but we need more evidence to say whether it is the main problem. I suspect that, in the short run, it's the individuals involved who make the greatest difference, for good or ill. I'd agree that there are more successful High Streets - Lordship Lane, Forest Hill, Crystal Palace are nearby examples - where as far as I know, the commercial freehold owership is similarly fragmented, but it would be worth checking this, and knowing more about the individuals involved.

In the longer run, I think the more purely economic factors become more important, but not necessarily to trump the current efforts of individuals. In any case, I think it's worth understanding this background, and worth questioning your suggestion that more concentrated ownership could make matters worse. There's always a risk of things going wrong, but can you help quantify the risk in this case?