Change of use 98 Kirkdale ( Behind the Boxes) to takeaway

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
cassmac

Change of use 98 Kirkdale ( Behind the Boxes) to takeaway

Post by cassmac »

A very sad proposal - the change of use for 98 Kirkdale ( Behind the Boxes) to hot food takeaway use.
This is the last thing Kirkdale needs is another takeaway place, I thought the whole point of the Mary Portas scheme was to make high streets interesting again , not full of betting shops and takeaway food places.
Proposals include changing the front of the shop with new signage.

I love this shop and I love what it makes of this stretch of Kirkdale, we need more shops like this ( not takeaways) , we are lucky to have had Syds vintage move next door to Behind the Boxes, When I moved here from Crystal Palace I had a feeling this meant other interesting shops would be attracted to the area and High Streets were coming back to life not closing to make way for more horrible cheap chicken shops.
Im not sure if other people can object or if it is just neighbours to the property , I know Behind The Boxes may not want to be here forever but surely there could be a better use and better respect for a beautiful shop front with clock and ironwork instead of some monstrous illuminated sign selling poor quality food within 100yds of a primary school ?
Chris Best

Re: Change of use 98 Kirkdale ( Behind the Boxes) to takeawa

Post by Chris Best »

Yes anyone can object and Lewisham Council have a policy to refuse change of use to A5 takeaways within 400 metres of a school. As the councillor representing Sydenham ward I will object to the planning application and will speak to the Forest Hill ward Councillors as this part of Kirkdale is in their ward.

The problem with betting shops is that they have an A2 use class and there is a relaxation on use classes in A3 up to A1. I objected to Paddy Power moving into the Wimpy which had an A3 but the Council had no legal reason to refuse the gaming licence and could no nothing on moving from A3 to A2 use. The Government really need to strengthen the legislation and move betting shops to a use class of their own - Sui generis.

Most changes to any shop front also require planning permission and therefore another opportunity to look at proposed changes. Unfortunately some traders do not follow the correct procedure and just rip out existing shop fronts. Planning Enforcement team have additional work to follow this up.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

What a shame if the original (and current) shop frontage is destroyed and replaced by a plastic modern hideous signage.
Most takeaways (not all) would rather have a brash ott signage to attract people rather than an aesthetically pleasing signage that would suit the Victorian building.
Very sad. That whole area of SE26 has gone down hill so much in the last few years. So much for any ripple affect from Dulwich or Forest Hill (literally a mile or two max as the crow flies). Our history is being destroyed.
The 'annoying' thing is, the housing stock and architecture (in general) in this area is lovely and well kept, and yet the shopping areas are turning worse by the year.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I liked the shop too, it would be a great shame if the shop front is ripped out. Enforcement is pretty non-existent, unfortunately planning doesn't work very well for shop fronts and high streets, there simply aren't enough staff to police enforcement and planning takes too long, is too complicated and as such many shops don't bother with it.

The problem is this part of Sydenham gets no footfall. I knew this place was going to shut, which is a shame, especially for Syds vintage next door which I'd guess will go the same way.

It's a real shame that it's going to be a takeaway. The government need to change the classification ruling, and quick. It was a big mistake to change this to allow more betting shops etc.

Bad news for Kirkdale. With places like this, they actually make great creative spaces and offices. I'd rather they go this way than become a takeaway or unused retail. Offices mean people, jobs, daytime footfall, lunch, cafes and shop that can still be shops. Mixing things up can be good for high streets.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

The Government , quite correctly , goes on about obesity , especially among the young. Then allows yet another take away.

What a disgrace,
parker

Post by parker »

I'd love for it to be a good coffee shop like The Small Batch Coffee Company but then I think hell would freeze over before that happening.
elle

Post by elle »

Oh no this is awful news. Such a lovely looking shop, we'd be so sad to see it go :(
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Where is the shop? I looked on street view but can't see it.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Annie. wrote:Where is the shop? I looked on street view but can't see it.
Hi Annie
It's about three doors down from the corner of Fransfield Grove. I believe they mostly hire stuff out as set and dressing props. Certainly every time I've tried to buy anything, I've been told it's not for sale.

part of Lewisham's new Local Development Management Plan will put restrictions on the number of new takeaways within 400 metres of a school.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Thanks Mary :D
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Hopefully council will refuse as there are already a number of takeaways very close by and this is, as one member rightly said, probably about 100m from the school.
It's not that I'm against takeaways per se but it just seems as if 1. There are plenty already in the area, 2. It's not likely to have a positive impact on the area in terms of footfall of social/coin unity interaction and 3. It is a bit of a kick in the face and massive backward step of the "Kirkdale Village" / See3 regeneration scheme.

Guess I'm pipe dreaming but what Kirkdale seems to need by a few people's admission is an increase in footfall which is unlikely to happen without either particularly nice shops/restaurants/bars that aren't common in Sydenham (?doable though Forest Hill have a few more and maybe not much draw from that side) or (here comes big pipe dream) something that would bring people from all over nearby including FH examples being a small independent theatre or cinema.

There's my two cents so to speak!

Jon
parker

Post by parker »

I don't think Kirkdale is a village. More like a shanty town. Emmerdale is a village however.
harrym

Post by harrym »

This is such sad news. The shop frontage is one of the last few beautiful things in Kirkdale. And the shop adds real character to an incredibly depressing roundabout. We desperately need to encourage in creative businesses to the area to help it flourish before it's charm is lost forever. Presumably the SEE3 Kirkdale improvements action group know about this and will fight it? I'd be happy to get involved and help in any way too. One lost shop may seem insignificant to many but its impact, if a fast food shop with an ugly neon facade replaces its historical architecture, in this location would be huge. Poor Syd's must be worried. One step forward, two steps back...
cassmac

Post by cassmac »

Please can everyone object to the planning application ! I did it online it was very quick to do and today is the last day for objections ! I am worried everyone who lives along here as got back to work and forgotten to send off objections which would be a real shame, I am hoping the school on Fransfield Grove will object too. Its nice to see other people agreeing that change of use would be a bad thing to happen! Thanks
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Just send Lewisham council both a "comment" and a "complaint" which included some choice cuts from the forum thread and a link to the full discussion aswell. Here's hoping...
michael

Post by michael »

Apparently this application has been withdrawn:
http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... CAPR_71964
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Fantastic news by all accounts I believe :) - Don't think there was a single poster who felt that a benefit would be a good addition/benefit the locale. Excellent stuff.

Jon
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

This is excellent news. Does anyone know whether the store is closing down still. That would be a real shame. I have bought some great things from there