New bakers to open in Kirkdale

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sherlomi

New bakers to open in Kirkdale

Post by sherlomi »

Evidentally a new "French" bakery is due to open in Kirkdale opposite
Tescos Express presumably where the IBS (unfortunate name) Bakery
used to be.
parker

Re: New bakers to open in Kirkdale

Post by parker »

sherlomi wrote:Evidentally a new "French" bakery is due to open in Kirkdale opposite
Tescos Express presumably where the IBS (unfortunate name) Bakery
used to be.
Can’t be, that’s where Waffle Station is now. Thanks for the heads up of a new bakery in the area though.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

parker wrote:Waffle Station
Wait... wut?

OMG

sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Apologies, apologies, apologies. I seem to have been reading an advertisement on a
website from 2013. Evidentally there was a French bakery called La Bonne but at the
same address as IBS bakery??? Go on laugh at me why dont you!
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

sherlomi wrote:Apologies, apologies, apologies. I seem to have been reading an advertisement on a
website from 2013. Evidentally there was a French bakery called La Bonne but at the
same address as IBS bakery??? Go on laugh at me why dont you!
I don't like to laugh at people, is a facepalm okay? :)

sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Love it!! You are a breath of fresh fair on this forum - go on, now give us an image of
you as a breath of fresh air!!
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

sherlomi wrote:Love it!! You are a breath of fresh fair on this forum - go on, now give us an image of
you as a breath of fresh air!!
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

I thought that was a bit odd/familiar. When IBS shut down, there was talk of another baker coming in and also I think 161 food and drink were considering taking it over as a bakery for their produce (as little to no kitchen really unless they Harv. Made changes in the months since last went) as well as a stand alone take out bakery.

Waffle station do lovely milkshakes and very friendly personnel. Not got round to trying the food yet!
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

Alright Parker1970 - now give us an image of three labradors sitting outside
a cafe in Montmartre but one really does not want to be there because he hasnt
the euros to cover his share of the bill and should he say hes lost his wallet
or pretend to collapse with illness - go on - do it, it is Christmas
appletree

Post by appletree »

Damn. I was really looking forward to a new bakery.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Me too . I really wish The Cake Store would branch out a bit . No problem with their pasties , Croissants( these are really good actually - so I KNOW they can do it !), sandwiches and some of their cakes but I really never buy bread there .
It doesn't have to be fancy shmancy but it could be so much better in that department .
Surely they are big enough to take a punt on a few new lines ?

A very good evening
Nigel
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Nigel wrote:
No problem with their pasties ,
I decided not to engage with Nigel and his more outrageous views on these fora, but his remark about the Cake Store's pasties cannot go unchallenged. As a proud west-countryman who spent much of his childhood in Cornwall and Devon, I can confidently assert that the greasy pocket of grey sludge that passes for a Cornish pasty in that emporium would never be countenanced west of the Tamar. The one I bought there even contained chunks of carrot! (The inclusion of carrots in Cornish pasties was a significant cause of the Cornish rebellion of 1549, along with the introduction of Cranmer's Prayer Book)

However, I agree about the bread, and the lack of a decent bakery on our otherwise fine and diverse High Street is a major disappointment. The health food shop sells decent whole-meal and excellent sour dough bread, though expensive. Of course one can always make one's own. A bread making machine is a worthwhile investment and takes all the effort out of the process. Charge the thing up with ingredients last thing at night and you are greeted in the morning with a lovely smell of fresh-baked bread and a very acceptable loaf of whole-meal. Make a pot of coffee as well, and let the smell, and the sense of well-being it engenders, wash over you!
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Personally I am a fan of the bread in The Cake Store. The baguettes are not great, but the farmhouse, I believe, is a triumph.
I think they could do with some sourdough to fit in with the 'new old' world of high qual ingredients, and probably some ciabatta or focaccia etc, but when I have asked them in the past why they don't, they claim they rarely sell it, and the decent selection of white and brown generally sells out every day.
simon

Post by simon »

I agree Syd. Their GI Bread is superb too.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

I went to the lovely French Bakery in Lordship Lane yesterday.
Wish we had something to like that in Upper Syd, particularly to add to the Cobbs Corner bit.
They do all the pastries. Artisan breads, gorgeous cakes and have an eat in service like Patisserie Valerie.
Huge variety of stuff and very busy.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Spartacus
Petty regionalism has prompted you to speak rashly and extravagantly , again .
I didn't refer to their "Cornish pasties" but "their pasties ".
I know the difference , having made my own Cornish pasties with beef skirt from Billings , potato , swede and onions .

Perhaps I was a bit hard on Cake Store but I do think they are wasting a great opportunity to turn out some better breads - geared up as they are with bakers, ovens and big kitchens .

I quite enjoy their sausage rolls too - the trick is to buy one and then keep it in the bag until home when then the temperature is perfect for eating . Speaking honestly I usually cave in and burn the roof of my mouth by eating it 20 seconds after leaving the shop .

A very good morning
Nigel
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Nigel wrote:
Petty regionalism has prompted you to speak rashly and extravagantly , again .
I didn't refer to their "Cornish pasties" but "their pasties ".
I know the difference , having made my own Cornish pasties with beef skirt from Billings , potato , swede and onions .

Perhaps I was a bit hard on Cake Store but I do think they are wasting a great opportunity to turn out some better breads - geared up as they are with bakers, ovens and big kitchens .

I quite enjoy their sausage rolls too - the trick is to buy one and then keep it in the bag until home when then the temperature is perfect for eating . Speaking honestly I usually cave in and burn the roof of my mouth by eating it 20 seconds after leaving the shop .

So it's not only your mind you're happy to pollute with toxic rubbish then?

I was referring to the item marketed as a "Cornish" pasty by the Cake Store. I imagine the other comestable referred to as a pasty is even more disgusting as it's much cheaper, but I haven't tried one. It's perfectly possible for a pasty made in Cornwall to be disgusting, Ginsters being a good example, though most of their production is exported to less enlightened regions of the kingdom.