Garage at the top of Newlands Park gone?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Doubles

Garage at the top of Newlands Park gone?

Post by Doubles »

Firstly I have searched but no one seems to have mentioned it but please point me in the direction of the thread if i've missed it. The MOT/Garage at the top of Newlands Park Road opposite the turning to Homecroft and next to the Lifechange Ministry International (keep meaning to pop in there) seems to have had all of its signage removed. Has it gone out of business, perhaps being refurbished (I did see someone rebuilding part of a wall in the car park), land up for sale, or (almost certainly) a Waitrose M&S combined superstore?
danmarwil

Re: Garage at the top of Newlands Park gone?

Post by danmarwil »

There's this thread about Volkspares...

https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... es#p164641

Initially stating the garage has closed & the site will become 40 flats, then a more recent post stating it will be reopening.
Spark plug

Post by Spark plug »

The new ramps are in place and the new owner will be renaming the garage with the new signage going up soon.After a long period under previous owners the inside needed a lot of work doing to it.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

I was concerned when Volkspares closed but now the site is being tidied up, it looks like this is a positive change.
Its a great size and location for a proper garage.
I hope it looks super smart when finished.

I wonder what the full story was here?
Was it considered a "contaminated site" for residential from a rebuild perspective and then flipped on?
Spark plug

Post by Spark plug »

The owners of the site have been there since the 70's,the original Volkspares business owner's wife I believe.The business only was sold in 2004,going bust in 2017.The site owners have relet the premises to a new chap who will reopen as Sydenham Auto Services.
The rumour about flats was just that,a rumour.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

That's great - I was a happy Volkspares customer and wish the new business every success.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

When does the garage open?
I thought perhaps it already had but spotted more rubble outside today.
Becrob

Post by Becrob »

It has been open a while - the reviews from a neighbour were not good at all though (she used Volkespares previously too).