NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

Post by Eagle »

Used to be , and hopefully still is , an excellent carpet shop on Perry Vale
poppy

Post by poppy »

Is ABC carpets still there. It used to be down past Lidl set back a bit in Georgian terrace. They have been v. good when we've used them.

And I think House of Linens does carpets under the new ownership.

P
pip

Post by pip »

Hi Poppy, In answer to your Question ABC Carpets is now MW Flooring.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I assume everyone must have carpets so where are they buying them. Hopefully not through i commerce , which is destroying local jobs.
We need to keep the good burghers of Kidderminster and Axminster in work.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I have a few bits of carpet remaining but they will soon go to be replaced with floorboards. I will be after a carpet runner at some point though but nowhere here has much of a selection.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

*cough* Carpet shop on Lordship Lane has a great selection of runners *cough*
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

scarpetta wrote:FYI, the Home Collection shop is now closing down.
Is that the one that used to be the Arabic shop with lots of Baklava and shisha's, and had the horrible phone kiosk added? Anyway, not surprised if it is closing, looked horrible from the outside and looking in it hardly looked inviting. Lets hope something nice opens there now.

Cheers

G-Man
scarpetta

Post by scarpetta »

yes that is the one. I wish and sorry (140 Interior I don't mean to cause any offense!) that the beautiful 140 interior shop would be able to move into a more prominent position on the high street. It's a stunning shop with great pieces of furniture and gift items, I am just concerned that it doesn't get a great footfall. We often talk about our grotty high street this shop is a gem but appears forgotten due to its location....
poppy

Post by poppy »

Agree Scarpetta. Quality businesses need to cluster and then hopefully their success will spread along the high street.

140 don't even seem to have a proper website which is shame and missed marketing tool I think!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Any news on Namaste (a few doors down from Trattoria)? This had a temporary banner for about 4 years plus (the second night we were here in Sydenham we ordered a takeaway from them because the logo looked good, but unfortunately it wasn't that great.

It's not a rather odd red colour and has some decked planters out of the front. Any idea what it's going to be?
simon

Post by simon »

Carzone is apparently going to be a branch of Boilers R Us.
Wonder what they will sell?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Is it a sub brand of Toys R Us?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The old greengrocers and then failed barbers (hardly surprising as there are too many of them!) next to the Greyhound is finally getting it's new shop front and fit out.

It has a rather horrible poo-brown roller shutter, which is awful, but a new wooden shop front which may be ok once finished.

Apparently it's going to be a Turkish Restaurant, but it seems amazingly small inside which seems different to the original plans I saw and it looks like the interior is going to be a bit naff and cheap from a first glance, which is a shame.

Can anyone shed some light on this place?
pip

Post by pip »

It looks like Tannos the Launderette down by scope is the latest casualty as the shutters have been down for months now.
marymck

Post by marymck »

And is the la bonne bakery at the top of kirkdale ever open? I'm forever trotting hopefully down the hill, full of hope, only to trudge back up with some sad Tesco substitute.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
pip

Post by pip »

Another one bites the dust. Signs in the window at Massaniellas italian restaurant read,

Closed down.
parklife

Post by parklife »

Is that the italien next to the golden lion ?
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

pip wrote:Another one bites the dust. Signs in the window at Massaniellas italian restaurant read,

Closed down.
Sad. But to use Lee's stand, they really didn't seem to care about the appearance of the outside with those tatty awnings. One reason why I never went in. Shame though as they always looked busyish, or was that just the tables at the front.

What will it be next in what has been a fairly doomed restaurant...one would hope a Turkish Restaurant as that might actually work.

G-Man
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I went once and really didn't like it. It was full of friends and family of the owners and it felt a bit like sitting on the edges of a large private party.

Is it a good site for our prospective sushi chef?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I have to agree with G-man. We went once, huge menu, amazing pizza bases, the pizza toppings didn't really live up to the bases and the atmosphere wasn't great, bu tit was when it had first opened and it felt like we were invading a family gatherings too.

I started on a What If on this many moons ago, but was stuck on how to improve it, visually. It is such a bland, dull building it's difficult to work with.

I'm too busy to look at it right now, anyone else have any ideas?

Here is an image from when it was the Spanish (or was it Mexican) place:

Dirty walls, awful signage, ugly building, prison like grills on the wall, very hard, no landscaping, incredibly busy with lots of messages all competing against one another on the naff awnings.