NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
G-Man

Re: NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

Post by G-Man »

Oh my god Tim and Lee.

I swear some of these businesses have laundrettes out the back, washing something other than clothes.

Awful.

And yes next to the bookshop will be flats and a bar/restaurant, according to reliable sources. Hopefully something with vision!

G-man
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

G-Man wrote:Oh my god Tim and Lee.

I swear some of these businesses have laundrettes out the back, washing something other than clothes.

Awful.

And yes next to the bookshop will be flats and a bar/restaurant, according to reliable sources. Hopefully something with vision!

G-man
As you may have observed, for once I was left speechless :)
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

That's just such an awful sign, where are Lewisham on this? Surely they can have a say in how it looks?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree.

Gives impression of being a shanty town.
coll

Post by coll »

Sydenham seems to take one-half a step forward and fourteen or fifteen VERY large steps backwards. Yesterday I went into Mayow Park and saw how nice the new cafe is looking. I then turned the corner and saw bench after bench of abandoned beer cans and food containers. I walked past the tennis courts and there were two guys waiting to get on for a game of tennis. They were throwing their beer cans and sandwich wrappers directly on the ground in front of them. I kept wondering how a 'trendy' cafe is going to survive if they aren't selling cheap beer, larger or takeaway.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Shame, this is what I keep saying, an area can look good only if the people it it give a damn.
:?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

When the cafe opens, there will, I think, be an influx of new users to the park. People who behave badly don't often like an audience, especially a vocal audience that might (and should) tell them off. Time and again, studies have shown that the more a public space is used, by a wide variety of different users, the more anti-social behaviour tends to tail off. It won't happen overnight, and it will still happen sometimes. But in general Mayow Park is already a much nicer place than it was some ten years ago when I took my kids to play there.
Mayow Park

Post by Mayow Park »

Thanks, Rachael.

There's a community picnic coming up - Sunday August 31st - organised by our two cricket clubs, with the support of the Friends of Mayow Park, about which we'll be posting more information in due course - or keep an eye on our Facebook page.

The cricketers will be running some 'Kwik cricket' for kids, suitable for ages up to 11.

And in case anyone thinks we're only interested in cricket - we're also reaching out to groups who run football there.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

We love Mayow Park. I'm very excited by the cafe. It will complete the park (the ideas I've heard for the old bowling green are exciting too).
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I to welcome the renaissance of good old Mayow Park.

I recall school sports days there whilst at St Bart's . Good old egg and spoon and sack race organised by Mr Timms and Miss Coggin . That was 56/60.

I am surprised the bowling green no longer to be used for bowls. This used to be a very active club and wondering what happened to them and why the bowls will be no more.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Any news on the Mayow Park Cafe? Sign still says opening in July but the exterior doesn't make this look likely...
Belle

Post by Belle »

I heard it'll now be opening 11th August.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It looks amazing inside. It's been done really well. Good job by the signage company (Butler Dsigns I believe).

The owners are going places I think.
Mayow Park

Post by Mayow Park »

I'm told that opening 11th August is Laura & Jess's intention, but I guess that's not 100% confirmation.

What is confirmed, however, is the official opening, Sunday August 31st, by Sydenham's new councillor, Rachel Onikosi, with the ribbon cutting by Perry Vale Councillor, Susan Wise.

Mayow Park's two cricket teams are also organising a community picnic that day, at which cricketers will be introducing youngsters to the game with a version, originally from Australia, called Kwik Cricket. All welcome. I'm just working on adding a strap to the flyer mentioned the official café opening.

and here's the version with the addition. O for the design skills of a Lee Newham!

G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Ooo exciting things...

CLIFTON AQUATICS
It started with a fish...

Oh what vision. I hope they're successful.

But I have to say, with the outside railings looking set for outside seating I was hoping for something else.

Just been to Peckham where some amazing things are happening then see this on my walk down Sydenham Road. Along with the odd sports shop with a massive mobile advert on the window.

Cripes

G-Man
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

The odd fish aquatics thing? I'm indifferent. Seems pretty niche to me. Slightly random exotic fish emporium. But that sports thing on the high street looks absolutely sh*t. Awful signage and somebody should have been able to put their foot down and said it's got to look better than that. What the hell is a sports academy anyway?

We need that proposed wine bar next to Syd DIY to hurry up and get built. And other shops/cafes nearby to up the ante and make their shop fronts look better to 'isolate' and expose the crap ones.

On a brighter note the Mayow Park cafe is opening on Monday (allegedly) and it looks really nice inside - and will be a fabulous addition to what is already a lovely (and very un-rough) park. I love a grabbing a cappucino (from Kente - bless him - such a nice little cafe that secretly could do with a better signage - can't we all chip in a get him a better one?) and a paper and sitting in the park, watching the cricket and the passers by with their families/newspapers/tennis rackets/cans of special brew. Delete as appropriate.

I'm babbling.

So good luck to them - and On The Hoof. We desperately need these new additions to put the other crap shops to shame.

Lastly - I always think it's telling, the shops that don't bother to come onto the forum. They all seem happy to exist in 1987. And look like it too.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Agree with what you're saying Sydenhamboy. I think it will be great when these places open. Hopefully make people understand that there is a need for more food establishments and pubs. I think the place next to the DIY shop will do a roaring trade, if done properly. And 161 seems to be doing well so let's have more. Then, when we have the Greyhound a real change will happen. People have to face, that nicer places to drink and eat equals a better high street. It's what happened in East Dulwich, it's what's happening in Peckham.

I still hope we keep places like Musty's though, and some of the other shops that are run well and that rents don't soar and Sydenham becomes too gentrified.

G-Man
Pally

Post by Pally »

Nice places to eat and drink do make a high street better ...and so do some nice shops like Billings, Health Shop, Fresh and Fruity, Polish /Spanish Deli, Slatters as was and even the Coop, in terms of convenience. There was a lovely shop selling painted old furniture in a SEE shop by the station for a while but it closed as too expensive to maintain I think. All these shops add to an interesting variety that makes a good high street.
Mayow Park

Post by Mayow Park »

Opening in just 39 minutes!
Mayow Park

Post by Mayow Park »

Just overheard ... "I'll come back when it's less busy!"