NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

Post by leenewham »

There is a thread like this on Virtual Norwood which is interesting which is pinned (hint hint admin).

Any shop opening or closing is posted in there. It's an interesting record and notice board for what's happening in the high street. It also records what's going on with signage etc.
leenewham

Re: NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

Post by leenewham »

There is a new hairdressers next to the Car wash place. Apparently it's called Square Mile Estate Agents as they haven't bothered to change the sign from the previous business.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Garam Masala down in 'Basra Row' is now Pistachio.
It looks the same, still has Gm graphics in the window but has a new sign above the door. Not sure if it has new owners. We might give it a try sometime.
shell1

Post by shell1 »

I tried "Pistachio" (formerly Garam Masala) last night, ordered a takeaway. Lamb jalfrezi tasted good- well spiced, very pleasant but I found the the onion bhajis too flat and dry. Aubergine bhaji was lovely. See what you think?
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

leenewham wrote:There is a thread like this on Virtual Norwood which is interesting which is pinned (hint hint admin).

Any shop opening or closing is posted in there. It's an interesting record and notice board for what's happening in the high street. It also records what's going on with signage etc.
Thanks for the VN mention :) It is a useful way of keeping track of what's going on (or off!).
mikej

Post by mikej »

Good idea Lee. We should have this on this forum too.
simon

Post by simon »

Home Collection :|
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Ah, yes Simon, I forgot about these guys.

I've been past this a few times but nothing about it entices me to go in (unlike 140 interiors).
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

cassandra is closing (I saw the to let sign sign). It's not a bad looking shop, one of the better ones although we never went back after one visit, my wife thought the selection was very strange with only a few (sometimes extreme) sizes for sale.

Now it's going to be another Charity shop.

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/posting.ph ... f=1&t=7580

I've nothing against charity shops. I regularly donate to Scope. But aren't there enough now?

What do traders here think? We seem to be suffering from poor quality, ugly or oversized developments and Sydenham road is starting to look like a poor mans Penge.

If Antic are reading this, please reply to my last email. You can make a big difference in the way Sydenham Road is perceived.
rspca

Post by rspca »

There are never enough charity shops.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

RSPCA, do you mean that there aren't enough people giving to charity or that all high streets should have far more charity shops?

If they looked like an asset to a high street like Oxfam, Trad or the Mary Portas shops do, then I'd possibly agree. But the ones we have are mostly a scrappy looking bunch and not in the best interests for the regeneration for the high street and the current traders.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

leenewham wrote: If Antic are reading this, please reply to my last email. You can make a big difference in the way Sydenham Road is perceived.
Just tweeted Antic for you.

Are you on Twitter?

G-Man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Yes, well, as my company I am. @goodpeopletweet
Micromel

Post by Micromel »

New soup and spuds trolley outside the costcutter/ woodman on Kirkdale. I haven't tried it yet but the man who runs it is very friendly.

Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

rspca wrote:There are never enough charity shops.

Of course you can. A high street needs a good mix of shops/services - not just an abundance of one.
Micromel

Post by Micromel »

New UPVC window shop on the roundabout Kirkdale / Dartmouth Road. Exterior looks quite smart.

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The Flower Studio has moved from next to Lidl to next to Desire/Costcutter.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Tastebuds has opened in Lower Sydenham.

I presume it's a Caribbean food takeaway (it doesn't actually say which is one of the only times I'd say they haven't put enough information on their sign!).
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

leenewham wrote:Tastebuds has opened in Lower Sydenham.

I presume it's a Caribbean food takeaway (it doesn't actually say which is one of the only times I'd say they haven't put enough information on their sign!).
Us G's thought that. Looked very busy on the opeing night though, lots of families hanging about, kids with Balloons and stuff. Defo going to give it a try. Love a bit of homecooked Caribbean food.

G-Man
chrism

Post by chrism »

I walked by the old Premier Snack bar this evening and there were shopfitters working away. Anyone have any idea what's opening up there? At the moment it looks light and neutral.

It can't be a hair salon, surely, since it's right next door to one...

Chris M.