NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
G-Man

Re: NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

Post by G-Man »

Looks good. Personally a limited menu is a goods thing in my book. Do a few things and do them well. Nice variation on dishes too. Can't wait to see the weekend brunch menu.

With this, 161, the cafe in Mayow Park and the bar that is set to open next to the DIY shop I think we're really seeing a turning point on Sydenham's foodie and boozie offerings.

Fab stuff.

G-Man
On the Hoof

Post by On the Hoof »

Many thanks for your interest and kind comments. We will keep the menu fairly short but change it on regular basis and there will be daily specials as well. Hope to see you at 23 Sydenham Rd on Thursday.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

On the Hoof wrote:Many thanks for your interest and kind comments. We will keep the menu fairly short but change it on regular basis and there will be daily specials as well. Hope to see you at 23 Sydenham Rd on Thursday.
Unfortunately it won't be Thursday :( But we will be up to try the food in the coming weeks :)
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Was later in to work this morning. Looked like new signage being installed at the On the Hoof Bistro. Was just plain board going up as I went past so no comment on it yet...
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Someone above mentioned about the proposed wine bar next to Sydenham DIY.... is it my imagination, or has progress on the build rather slowed (stopped?) recently?? I hope it won't emulate the situation across the road (the stagnation of the progress on the Greyhound)!
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Apologies if I've missed a post but is there actually a new wine bar coming? Is it that new build to the left of the DIY or is it going somewhere else?
paultee76

Post by paultee76 »

And in all the excitement of the new openings (On The Hoof and new cafe) we forgot all about the new mobile phone shack that has been carved out of the corner of the Costcutter up by Newlands Park.

Before you enjoy a delicious meal why not take some time to have your phone unlocked, buy a Lyca sim or treat that special someone in your life to a cheap phone cover.

Clearly with the odd Mobile / Luggage / Shop shop and the mobile shack up by the station someone decided the market was not saturated enough and went for it with exactly the same proposition, genius.

:roll:
Pally

Post by Pally »

Paullee76 - that gave me a good laugh. Beautifully put!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Except they wouldn't stand there all day if they weren't doing business. The cheapest way of buying a phone is from eBay. Will you actually get it? Will it be what it says and work OK? Big risk. Buy one from a vendor at least you can see it working!
mosy

Post by mosy »

A real genius move would be to open a shop that Sydenham Road doesn't have for everyday needs. Now there's the $64,000 question. I suspect that's a problem Kirkdale empty shops are faced with if everything's already there (together with Forest Hill shops and restos other side of the station) that'll take in repeated daily money.

I guess it would have to be niche if day-to-day needs are agreed to be covered - so what do people suggest? I.e. the sort you'd put your own money behind hoping people wouldn't order online or go further afield. Open question.

Edit PS: The retail outlets adjacent to the Greyhound and flats development stand vacant - anyone know if lettings are held up by Grehyhound negotiations? The yon side of FH station looks to be doing OK by comparison.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Just for the record, RIP Alvina Clothing store, welcome to another estate agent :)

robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

At least it's not an empty unit. Nothing more depressing than a high street full of empty units. Speaking of which why has nothing been done with the "amusements" beside Lidl?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Some new-ish businesses to welcome to Sydenham.

• The Fat Indian in Lower Sydenham opposite Home Park seems to have good reviews online (it's been open a while now) and looks good inside.

• Sammy's Cafe has closed (I liked the guys who were there previously for my 'English Coffee & Bacon Sandwich', but Sammy's wasn't anywhere near as good so I stopped going, which was good for my belly). It's now a fish and chip shop that also does burgers/kebabs etc (can't remember the name despite going past there every day, it's a bit generic 'fish bar' type thing unfortunately and they have kept the old sammy's awning which is confusing). Worth trying though.

• Soon in Kirkdale will be the sister shop to the wonderful Maddisons in West Norwood. Mabels Five & Dime is opening soon at 100 Kirkdale. For those who Twitter: https://twitter.com/mabels5anddime I'm quite excited about this one!

• I'm also excited about Late Knights coming to the Shop Revolution Marketplace. More on that here: https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14027

• A new Pawnbrokers has taken over the old one. Not excited about that one.

I'm sometimes contacted by local businesses that are opening up, a few new ones are in the pipeline by the looks of it, although some depend on planning.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

robbieduncan wrote:At least it's not an empty unit. Nothing more depressing than a high street full of empty units. Speaking of which why has nothing been done with the "amusements" beside Lidl?
There were workmen in it this past weekend
Pally

Post by Pally »

mosy wrote:A real genius move would be to open a shop that Sydenham Road doesn't have for everyday needs. Now there's the $64,000 question. I suspect that's a problem Kirkdale empty shops are faced with if everything's already there (together with Forest Hill shops and restos other side of the station) that'll take in repeated daily money.

I guess it would have to be niche if day-to-day needs are agreed to be covered - so what do people suggest? I.e. the sort you'd put your own money behind hoping people wouldn't order online or go further afield. Open question.

Edit PS: The retail outlets adjacent to the Greyhound and flats development stand vacant - anyone know if lettings are held up by Grehyhound negotiations? The yon side of FH station looks to be doing OK by comparison.
Deli/ Cheese shop .....Billings does a very small version because there is no equivalent!
cannidote

Post by cannidote »

Its nice to look back on this thread and see all the changes in the area