NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
marymck

Re: NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

Post by marymck »

I think it's a real shame. Fabio tried really hard and is a thoroughly decent man. It was nice to have authentic Italian food, rather than standardised chain menus.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Noticed the shop with the yellow front near Co-op is being re-fitted. Guys carrying in what looked like rather heavy boxes with Chinese or Japanese scripture on them. I got excited about food but then thought, hmmm both countries produce loads of electrical equipment.

Anyway - any ideas?

G-Man
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

marymck wrote:I think it's a real shame. Fabio tried really hard and is a thoroughly decent man. It was nice to have authentic Italian food, rather than standardised chain menus.

I think it's a shame too - the food had great potential. But they did so much wrong in other ways. There is no point in cooking great food if you can't get people through the door, or get the atmosphere wrong so that they don't want to come back. The right restaurant WILL succeed in that space. But it needs someone who is truly a restaurateur, not just a good cook, to overcome the challenges of a blighted history and an ugly building. The Sylvan Post is in one of the ugliest buildings in Forest Hill, and look how successful that is.

pip

Post by pip »

If it was still an ice cream parlour it wouldnt have closed down this week!
Loobus

Post by Loobus »

My family and I ate there a few times and we really liked it. It was a family friendly place, reasonable space for pushchairs, high chairs available and we found the staff really went out of their way to welcome us and our baby. We always enjoyed the food and wine. It's a shame, as I personally don't think there's a similar family friendly alternative very close by... :(

G-Man

Post by G-Man »

G-Man wrote:Noticed the shop with the yellow front near Co-op is being re-fitted. Guys carrying in what looked like rather heavy boxes with Chinese or Japanese scripture on them. I got excited about food but then thought, hmmm both countries produce loads of electrical equipment.
The shop I mentioned here was originally called Paulros.

Also, any news on when the new restaurant is opening opposite Kirkdale Books?

G-Man
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

I never understood why they opened an italian so close to Trattoria Raffaele!! Surely it would have made more sense to offer a different type of cuisine to differentiate from the successful, established restaurant 4 doors up the street!!

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

In the course of researching the background economics of our High Street, I noticed that 250 Kirkdale - Sugahill - is to let on the Estates Gazette web site. Anyone know any more?
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Another one bites the dust?

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Annie. wrote:Another one bites the dust?

Not always safe to jump to conclusions here - there was a mention of Trat Raff on some web site a while back which seemed to say he was leaving Sydenham, but it wasn't quite what it seemed. Can't remember the details now.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

You put the question onto the forum Tim, the advert you showed was quite clear, unless it was dated a few years ago?

JulietP

Post by JulietP »

It's a shame - but personally I find Sugahill's hours quite restrictive - I've often fancied a coffee on my way home from work, but they're always closed by then.

Perhaps a potential sushi site?

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Annie. wrote:You put the question onto the forum Tim, the advert you showed was quite clear, unless it was dated a few years ago?

Agreed that's what it looks like, but I looked for a date and couldn't find one, so expressed that bit of caution.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Not sure they can compete with Kente , which gives a great service and fine coffee.

I agree I have found them closed at unexpected times.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There is more than enough room for a few cafes (as shown by Forest Hill). Sugahill are great, brilliant panini's, hot chocolate to die for, child friendly etc. Chris and Yasmin are lovely. They can compete with Kente and any other cafe in Sydenham.

I hope this is a landlord testing the water.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Candessa is now Sue Ryder. So we have another charity shop which shuts at 5.

Namaste has redone their exterior, which looks better, although the colour takes a bit of getting used to. Next door, the Chinese place has painted their shop to match.
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Namaste looks great, inside and out!

I agree all these charity shops would do well to open a bit later than 5 to pick up on the commuters passing on their way home.

marymck

Post by marymck »

I assume they're staffed by volunteers, who perhaps don't want to give up their evenings. But I agree, it is a lost opportunity.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Suzee wrote:Namaste looks great, inside and out!

I agree all these charity shops would do well to open a bit later than 5 to pick up on the commuters passing on their way home.
I think Namaste's new interior and exterior is fantastic, love the colours (Lee), the High Street needs some colour. I think other shops should take note of what they've done. Not that the shop ever looked bad but now it looks great.

G-Man
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

A new ethnic supermarket taking over from MD Furnishings