Elderly Jamaican Man Who Used to Live in Sydenham Hill Woods

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
sherlomi

Elderly Jamaican Man Who Used to Live in Sydenham Hill Woods

Post by sherlomi »

Does anyone remember the elderly Jamaican man who used to live in Sydenham Hill Woods. He lived in
a building inside the woods that backed on to Sydenham Hill. He was extemely polite and seemed to be very
well organised. He grew lots of vegetables around the dwelling and everything seemed very orderly. I would like
to know what the building was originally. I think in the end the authorities must have stepped in because I believe
he eventually ended up in Mais House which I thought was considerate of them as he must have loved the woods
and Mais House is just opposite. He must be dead now as I'm going back some years but I'd love to know more.
Michael Viner

Re: Elderly Jamaican Man Who Used to Live in Sydenham Hill W

Post by Michael Viner »

Sherlomi-yes,I remember him very well,too,The building our friend lived in was an out building-a laundry block,I believe- of the large Victiorian villa 'Beechgrove', 111 Sydenham Hill,which stood there and was sadly demolished in the 1980's.You'll find out more about the fascinating history of this house,with it's link to royalty and a famous film of a year or two back(as well as it's fleeting use in a 70's TV series) elsewhere on this forum-just type in 'Beechgrove' in 'Search'.