Where's a good place to go for coffee in Syd?

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
Mollie

Where's a good place to go for coffee in Syd?

Post by Mollie »

I've noticed a lot of changes in Syd recently.
Where's a good place for coffee?
Mollie

Re: Where's a good place to go for coffee in Syd?

Post by Mollie »

Ok, this post got 70 hits so far, and not one single suggestion!!

I know the Blue Mountain is good and the Dolphin, but where else do people go?

Any family friendly places that don't mind a buggy or 2?
michael

Post by michael »

The other coffee shop in Sydenham is Kente, but if you ask for my recommendations then you might want to consider a visit to Forest Hill which has a wide range of coffee shops. My preference for coffee or lunch is The Teapot, but there is also Montage - with a children's play room, From the Forest which is a little small but very nice, St Davids which is reputed to have the best coffee (Square Mile). You can also get coffee at Aga's deli, The Hill, Canvas and Cream, All Inn One, The Gym Cafe, and the cafe at the swimming pool, Horniman Museum, and the Horniman Triangle Play park. All of these are good places to go for a coffee and all are family friendly.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
HCamp

Post by HCamp »

Venture a little further afield to Parish Lane and the beautiful Alexandra Nurseries (opposite railway bridge). Delicious cakes and superb plants &flowers as well as lots of community activities. It's become a real hub of the area.

Mollie

Post by Mollie »

thanks for the suggestions, any more ideas???
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

The best coffee is On the Hoof at the station. Monmouth coffee and seats outside when the sun is shining!

hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Blue Mountain Cafe and Sugahill are the best of a bad bunch.

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

With kids there isn't anywhere really in Sydenham. The best is probably Sugahill who do amazing hot chocolate and panini's but it's a little small. I personally like the Blue Mountain but I wouldn't call if family friendly, only a cafe that had families going to it. I think there is massive opportunity for a family friendly cafe and/or pub in Sydenham, but many groan at the suggestion.

Forest Hill is the place to go. They seem to be amore enlightened bunch up there! Try the Montage (it has a kids playroom which is fantastic and inspired). The Teapot and Canvas and Cream are also good. St Davids is nice, but it's not really for kids as it's too small, but it is lovely.

Nearby there are some great child friendly pubs. Try the Paxton in Gypsy Hill, they have a kids playground in the garden.

If you want to venture further a field, it's worth going to Coolings GArden Centre just outside of Bromley. They have nice stuff for kids and a woodland walk which is greatl
Maria

Post by Maria »

No, I agree about Blue Mountain café Lee; I took a little 3 year old there who ordered the child portion of scrambled eggs on toast and it came, completely cold, on an adult size plate with full adult size metal fork and knife. Have not been back, of course.

Absolutely cannot wait for the fabulous (it will be!) café in Mayo Park...

Mind Trattoria Raphaele (spllng?) is great for kids actually: the same 3 year old got to make her own pizza and was taken to learn how one makes a baby cappuccino. They can't do enough for you and are fantastic with the kids themselves. A great place to support.
Mollie

Post by Mollie »

So there's a gap in the market! Anyone want to start a family friendly venue in Syd?

Are there any plans underway for something like a family-friendly coffee shop/pub?
One where you actually feel welcome and there's enough room for your buggy/doublebuggy and a place where you can change a baby's nappy with room to do so, and a place that is ok with babies wanting to feed, etc etc.

Why do we need to travel out of area for a space for little ones?

When I think of the number of times I go to Dulwich Park just because it has a café and toilet and a few children's books on offer (plus the amazing park and swings and bikes......), why can't we have more venues suitable for families on our patch?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Trattoria is great for Kids Maria, our Thomas had his 1st birthday party there last year and it was fantastic. Raff makes the most amazing cakes too.

There are loads of families here.

There is a brilliant place in Beckenham with a dedicated childrens room: http://delinene.com/?attachment_id=185 Who would go to this place if there was something similar in Sydenham?

There are so many nurseries, playgroups, schools and families who go to the Library etc, it's seems crazy that something like this hasn't opened here. We will help design it for free if anyone wants to open one in Sydenham.

Cul De Sac in West Norwood is another great family friendly cafe.
Mollie

Post by Mollie »

Brilliant offer from Leenewham to design a family friendly venue in Sydenham for free...... anyone going to take that up?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Kente by far the best

Corner of Venner Road and Sydenham Road.

Coffee and service great and lots of courtesy news papers.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Mollie wrote:I've noticed a lot of changes in Syd recently.
Where's a good place for coffee?
I've heard that Eagle makes a nice cup! :lol:
Bring your own Hobnobs though..

only joking.. :wink: Eagle does know Sydenham very well - so probably Kente Venner / Syd road!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

We just came back from the delinene. http://delinene.com/?attachment_id=185 in Beckenham. It is brilliant. Great tapas, nice deli food, great place to stay a while, and a brilliant and large children's play area. Baby changing too in nice, clean modern toilets!

Somewhere like that in Sydenham would definitely do well, the ice cream shop (I keep forgetting the name) would be a brilliant place for this as it has so much space out the back, but they have made is even more difficult to get buggies down the back now!
Mollie

Post by Mollie »

So is there anyone out there willing to get a pop-up family friendly coffee shop going in Sydenham?

If there is a business in the High St which has space maybe it could be something they would try for a month to see whether it 'takes'.

The Beckenham one has the coffee shop at the front and the children's area at the rear, it looks like a small play area (not soft play), with books, toys, small chairs and a table etc. Not rocket science, but could make all the difference to those with young children who just want to get out of the house and walk to a friendly place to meet others.

Anyone interested, or know someone who may be???
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Sydenham is crying out for somewhere like that. Cafe Prov in Herne Hill is a great example of how you can have a child-friendly cafe whilst still attracting people without kids. Big box of toys in one corner means families congregate there. Good kids menu. Puts the Dolphin to shame, feel so unwelcome there.

Poor Cherry & Ice, they can't get it right Lee! However I like the place and yes, they do have a lot of space out back.

Mollie

Post by Mollie »

So who wants to approach them to see if they are interested? Lee???
Maybe a bit of a rearrangement of the seats could open the space up.....maybe just for a trial month, then they could see if it would work and bring in extra families?
No harm in asking....and taking in a photo of the Beck/Herne Hill examples to get ideas going...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's best if someone else apporaches them for many different reasons.

Mollie

Post by Mollie »

ok, I'll pop in this week!