Sparticus out of order.

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
Eagle

Sparticus out of order.

Post by Eagle »

Is it legal for Sparticus to refer to a section of the British Population as lower than vermin.

I am sure if I had done it I would have been censored and attacked , probably quite correctly.

Surely one has to be careful in a legal point of view which some matters.
Rachael

Re: Sparticus out of order.

Post by Rachael »

Dunno, but I'm sure it perfectly legal for him to quote Nye Bevan saying it, which is in fact what he did.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

So Rachel

If AB said it is that an excuse? I am not sure he actually did.

If I for instance repeated a racist slogan said by Adolf Hitler , then as far as your theory goes quite legal and acceptable.

If a quote is thoroughly offensive and quite possibly illegal , not sure why it should be permitted.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

He most certainly did say it, it's a very famous quote. From a rally in 1948 if memory serves.

It's in no way racist, though, so I have no idea what your are getting your knickers in a bunch about.

Or is this just faux-outrage on your part, trying to catch out the pinko wish-washy liberals on the forum?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rachel

If anyone had said the same about , for instance Gypsie's then there would quite rightly be outrage and censure.

So again censuring abuse only applies if it suits one.

If he did say it I apologise . However as I said many things could be said in the 40's that are not acceptable now. I can think of many common phrases in 50's and 60's which if said now would cause an outrage.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Gypsies are a racial group. Tories are not. So...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Abuse behaviour surely NOT be tolerated whoever it is aimed at.

I am surprised you think it acceptable. Suppose someone refered to all ladies as such, are they a racial group.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Sorry, Eagle, I can't quite hear you up there on your high horse.

My last word on the subject (because I seem to have forgotten, in an excess of Christmas cheer, that arguing with you is a pointless exercise), that people are free to comment on the choices that other people make (such as the choice to be a Tory) and can be abusive about it too, if they like. There is a world of difference between that and insulting people purely on the basis of things they have no control over, such as their race, sexual orientation or gender.

Thank you, and good night. *raises a glass of 10 year-old tawny port*
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Trust you enjoy your beverage. I agree no point in this when total disagreement.

But do you not choose your religion , but those comments aimed at a catholic or muslim would again be , quite rightly , not permitted.

Good night and remember which way one passes port.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Eagle wrote:Is it legal for Sparticus to refer to a section of the British Population as lower than vermin.
I am not aware of any law forbidding such expressions against political parties. Indeed is it not a grand British tradition to viciously vilify politicians? Spitting Image and the average Steve Bell cartoon come to mind.

Which, arguably, is not a bad thing that those who seek to exert power over our lives should not be spared any vitriolic response. It is a vital safety valve to stop them getting too high on their horses. We really don't want to get shot for not clapping enthusiastically enough do we?

The other examples you gave relating to ethnicity are, I believe, subject to the law on hatred and would therefore be moderated.

HTH
Admin
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Admin

OK I accept I maybe jumped the gun , so as to speak. However I do find the hatred in the soul of the poster very sad, especially at the time of the funeral of someone who had every reason to hate , but did not.

So one can call anyone or a group lower than vermin as long as they are not an ethnic group. Thanks for clarifying , much appreciated,.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Eagle wrote:So one can call anyone or a group lower than vermin as long as they are not an ethnic group. Thanks for clarifying , much appreciated,.
I said no such thing.

Admin
michael

Post by michael »

Haven't we had this discussion already?
http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 153#p75354
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I had a feeling I was repeating myself!
marymck

Post by marymck »

LOL the theme song of the forum. All together now ...

Round, like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel ...