Who chose

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
spacecadet

Who chose

Post by spacecadet »

The hideous colour scheme?

Please revert back to the default or give people a choice.

The way it looks is garish and unsettling.

Sorry but I can't stand it.
Dom Johnston

Re: Who chose

Post by Dom Johnston »

The change was decided during the meeting before Christmas to try and brighten it up and make it more user friendly and welcoming than the previous grey to try and encourage more posters!

I personally really like it. I think it's much, much better!

Well done all those involved behind the scenes, I know it wasn't an easy change. Thanks for all the hard work!
RJM

Post by RJM »

I like it! It was a bit unexpected, but looks good.
spacecadet

Post by spacecadet »

Dom Johnston wrote: 4 Jan 2019 08:14 The change was decided during the meeting before Christmas to try and brighten it up and make it more user friendly and welcoming than the previous grey to try and encourage more posters!

Well done all those involved behind the scenes, I know it wasn't an easy change. Thanks for all the hard work!
If you were one of the dictators who thrust this upon us then you would say you like it, I find it a bit angry looking, I will monitor the board with interest to see if there is a rise in belligerence.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

spacecadet wrote: 4 Jan 2019 09:36
Dom Johnston wrote: 4 Jan 2019 08:14 The change was decided during the meeting before Christmas to try and brighten it up and make it more user friendly and welcoming than the previous grey to try and encourage more posters!

If you were one of the dictators who thrust this upon us then you would say you like it, I find it a bit angry looking, I will monitor the board with interest to see if there is a rise in belligerence.
I prefer it to the old look and I was not involved in the choice. I am aware that many thought the old forum looked dreary and dull and I agree with that, it needed a change.
spacecadet

Post by spacecadet »

Maybe it did, but to a colour that feels like it is tearing your eyes from their sockets,?I feel a migraine coming on.
Dom Johnston

Post by Dom Johnston »

spacecadet wrote: 4 Jan 2019 09:47 Maybe it did, but to a colour that feels like it is tearing your eyes from their sockets,?I feel a migraine coming on.
How will you see all of the buildings on the moon if you tear your eyes out though?

As for being a dictator... It was a democratic process. 100% of the people who attended the meeting agreed that the look needed to be refreshed. The meeting time and date was advertised with plenty of notice and anybody who wished to be there was more than welcome to be.

I'm hoping that we can arrange another meeting at the beginning of February as it was agreed quarterly meetings would be a good idea. If you're free, it would be great if you could attend. All ideas are welcome!
spacecadet

Post by spacecadet »

I'm not doing the tearing, the colour scheme is
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Froma purely aesthetic point of view, I’d say using two shades of yellow from different ‘warmth’ families is very jarring. I think the cool lemon for the main body is fine, but you might want to rethink the banana yellow as the accent and header colour. I’d suggest looking at the icon photo and taking the blue of the sky there as a starting point. Also consider changing the ‘clicked’ colour (what you see when you click on a link or tag) from red to something that works with whatever header you (hopefully) go with. At the moment you have two shades of yellow, grey and red all active on a page and they are fighting with each other.

Less is always more with web page design when it comes to colour.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I find the "prosilver" skin option (via User Control Panel -> Board Preferences) suits my eyes better so immediately switched to that; thankfully the alternative option is still available.

No doubt the default colour will appeal, perhaps more so if just STF is on the screen, so not needing to re-focus to view different (plain vs garish) windows on the same monitor screen.

As an aside, I have a vague recollection that there were four skins one could select from at one time but I can see only two now. Still, as long as one of them suits :)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Prosilver is much more to my taste - although am I remembering correctly that the board was blue before it was grey?? Anyway, I’m happy to stick to the Prosilver.
LawriePark

Post by LawriePark »

Good to see change but are there any actual improvements at all, aside from the questionable colour scheme? It still feels dated here and I have no idea how I would put an image in my post
mikej

Post by mikej »

I have no idea how I would put an image in my post
One way is:

On the Imgur site [imgur.com], under New post, click on 'upload image' then select and upload your image(s).

Under the 'Share this Image' header copy the BB Code(forums) text and paste it into your STF message.
Pally

Post by Pally »

*spacecadet* "Dictator" - rubbish! I wasn't involved but clearly some have given up their time to discuss, agree and create something different. If you don't like it, make suggestions to improve - but why be so rude to people who are trying to do something! Be constructive!!
spacecadet

Post by spacecadet »

Pally wrote: 5 Jan 2019 14:30 *spacecadet* "Dictator" - rubbish! I wasn't involved but clearly some have given up their time to discuss, agree and create something different. If you don't like it, make suggestions to improve - but why be so rude to people who are trying to do something! Be constructive!!
One mans meat............

I found the mosy suggested colour scheme a bit easier on the eye.

:)
Pally

Post by Pally »

spacecadet wrote: 6 Jan 2019 22:17
Pally wrote: 5 Jan 2019 14:30 *spacecadet* "Dictator" - rubbish! I wasn't involved but clearly some have given up their time to discuss, agree and create something different. If you don't like it, make suggestions to improve - but why be so rude to people who are trying to do something! Be constructive!!
One mans meat............

I found the mosy suggested colour scheme a bit easier on the eye.

:)
My point was really about the "Dictator" bit - unfair!! But yes, different tastes etc!!
appletree

Post by appletree »

The colour is fine, but is it necessary to have the scrolling effect on the icons next to each thread? I can't stand things moving onscreen and if this remains I will not be able to spend much time here.
simon

Post by simon »

Aaah, thanks Mosey. Prosilver is much easier on my eye :)
mosy

Post by mosy »

appletree wrote: 10 Jan 2019 01:36 The colour is fine, but is it necessary to have the scrolling effect on the icons next to each thread? I can't stand things moving onscreen and if this remains I will not be able to spend much time here.
Do you mean the circles on the left with the lines scrolling? Do yours still scroll even after you've logged in? Mine seem to stop once I've logged in.

If yours still don't stop after logging in, you could try User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> (drop down list) Edit Display Options, then switch to "No" for flash animations, remembering to hit Submit (and maybe clear cookie to erase any earlier setting). Of course, as these are a user's preferences they'll only be active if a user is logged in.

Or wait until someone who knows for sure as It's acknowledged on many forums that animations are annoying to a lot of people so I'm pretty sure there will be a way to stop them.