NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Loobus

Re: NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

Post by Loobus »

Hello, Local Friend Chinese take away in lower Sydenham is now a building supplies shop and I have spied some refurbishment taking place inside what was once called Premier Foods (I think) on the corner of Hazel Grove and Sydenham Road.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Loobus wrote:Hello, Local Friend Chinese take away in lower Sydenham is now a building supplies shop and I have spied some refurbishment taking place inside what was once called Premier Foods (I think) on the corner of Hazel Grove and Sydenham Road.
I dont think the old Local friend is a building supplies shop, the sign outside is for the builders that are re-developing the property and building a new extension. Spoke to them the other day and they don't know what it is going to be yet as it is yet to be leased/made fit for purpose.

G-man

Loobus

Post by Loobus »

Ah I see. Thank you for clarifying that. Hopefully it'll lift that end a little bit. I think sydenham has so much potential and I really hope to see some positive changes :)

G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Loobus wrote:Ah I see. Thank you for clarifying that. Hopefully it'll lift that end a little bit. I think sydenham has so much potential and I really hope to see some positive changes :)
I think we all do!

I noticed another shop on the High Street looks like it has been let. Painted yellow on the outside not far from Co-op - any ideas?

G-Man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Looks like Gabisco is shutting, although I don't know how they survived so long as it hardly seemed to be open and had virtually no stock!

http://www.sydenhamtowncentre.com/vacant_units/
Annie

Post by Annie »

leenewham wrote:Looks like Gabisco is shutting, although I don't know how they survived so long as it hardly seemed to be open and had virtually no stock!

http://www.sydenhamtowncentre.com/vacant_units/

Gosh Lee, I didn't realise there are so many empty shops.
pip

Post by pip »

I walked past Carzone yesterday.There are signs on the window saying ( closing down all stock must go). Shame as I always found the chaps who ran it very helpfull.
Annie

Post by Annie »

What a shame,to be honest it was only recently I realised it was still there.
parklife

Post by parklife »

Thats a shame

But, good location for Sushi Bar.Close to other restuarants and good footfall
simon

Post by simon »

Bad news about Carzone. They were very helpful and offered good value. The mechanic at the rear provided a useful service as well.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It would be perfect. And it could be beautiful.
apcmoomin

Post by apcmoomin »

MD Carpets on the High St is closing down - due to retirement (according to sign on the window)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Carzone I believe replaced The Good Olde Record Forum . The highlight of the high street in the 60's . I think better if car shops on side roads , like Volkspares , not good addition to posh high street.

As for carpet shop. Sad , surely need for a carpet shop in SE 26. Perhaps new owner will PILE in.
pip

Post by pip »

Maybe theres an underlaying problem?
scarpetta

Post by scarpetta »

FYI, the Home Collection shop is now closing down.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Their stock was incredibly expensive and not very attractive so not a surprise. I've found great vintage stuff at Sydenham Beds - G Plan chests of drawers and the like for a fraction of the price you'd pay elsewhere.

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I heard the Michael Detmar of MD Furnishers - 64 Sydenham Road - is about to retire
simon

Post by simon »

apcmoomin wrote:MD Carpets on the High St is closing down - due to retirement (according to sign on the window)
Do keep up Tim!

Will be a loss. Nowhere to buy a rug now after the sad loss of Ken Lloyd last year.
Michael has been trading from there since before I got to Syndeham 16 years ago.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

simon wrote:
apcmoomin wrote:MD Carpets on the High St is closing down - due to retirement (according to sign on the window)
Do keep up Tim!

Will be a loss. Nowhere to buy a rug now after the sad loss of Ken Lloyd last year.
Michael has been trading from there since before I got to Syndeham 16 years ago.
I searched the topic for 'Furnishers' ... :oops:
pip

Post by pip »

We still have MW Flooring at 120 Sydenham Road opposite the Carwash.