SEE3 News: Pop Goes Sydenham!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
louisecbrooks

SEE3 News: Pop Goes Sydenham!

Post by louisecbrooks »

Hi All

An update on the Sydenham pop up shops project as promised.

Pop Up Shops
We are aiming to open four pop up shops during May. 167 Sydenham Road has been confirmed and we are just signing leases: http://www.see3.co.uk/2013/04/sydenham- ... am-road-2/. The shop will open in the coming weeks.

Applications to become a pop up shop tenant closed yesterday however we are still open to interesting propositions and there could be opportunities for complementary collaborations so if you are interested in taking a space you can drop us an email on theshoprevolution@see3.co.uk.

I hope to be able to confirm further spaces in the coming days and weeks.

Pop Up Supper Clubs
There will be a series of ticketed supper clubs in cafes and empty spaces in the high street throughout June with a taster event running at a venue to be confirmed in May. If anyone is interested in being involved as a chef or in providing entertainment please contact us at theshoprevolution@see3.co.uk.

Street Art
We’d like to celebrate the strong arts identity in Sydenham by bringing arts to the high street. We have in mind a shutter art project and there are a number of empty walls are crying out for some local talent. We’d like to invite established and budding street artists to a meeting on Tuesday 30 April at a venue TBC to explore project ideas. And we’re not simply after street artists. It would be good to explore ideas for installations and shop windows. We are talking to the Visual Arts Trail and the Sydenham Arts Festival about this project too. Please contact us if you’d like to be involved in this project at theshoprevolution@see3.co.uk.

Pop Up Theatre
We will be collaborating with the Sydenham Arts Festival over the weekend of 5th/6th July to bring pop up theatre to a number of venues in the high street yet to be confirmed.

Pop Up Club Night
Controversial we realise but we’d like to have a go at bringing a cool club night to Zanzibar. Planning is still in its very early stages but if you’d like to be involved in any capacity drop us an email at theshoprevolution@see3.co.uk.

Louise Brooks
Delivering The Shop Revolution for SEE3
Rachael

Re: SEE3 News: Pop Goes Sydenham!

Post by Rachael »

Supper clubs and a night club get my vote! I promise to leave quietly.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Sounds amazing. Very excited about the supper clubs. Really looking forward to this all kicking off. Well done gang!

G-Man
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

Hello All

An update:

Pop Up Shops
- We have been hard at work at 167 Sydenham Road and its looking fab. New signage will go up in the next week or so and the tiles will be given a paint job which will transform the front of the shop.
- We have a second shop at 271 Sydenham Road. Photos will go up on the website of the space later today.
- We should be able to announce our third shop in the next week, and we are still on the lookout for a fourth.
- We have met some amazing potential tenants and we are in the process of matching businesses to spaces. News on this in the next week.
- The first two shops will open either over the weekend of the 11th May or some time in the following week.

Night-time Sydenham
- Save the date! Thursday 13 June will be Late Night Sydenham. Details to follow.

Sydenham Street Art
The meeting to explore bringing art to Sydenham's high street will take place at Jill on Tuesday 7 May at 7pm.

We're looking for volunteers to be involved and help out. Whether its supper clubs, the club night or street art you're interested in, or you'd be keen to help out behind the scenes planning events, marketing, social media or pretty much anything drop us an email at theshoprevolution@see3.co.uk.

Thats it for now. See http://www.see3.co.uk/sydgoespop for updates. And we're using #popgoessyd on Twitter to provide live updates.
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

Bit disappointed on the location of these shops. I was hoping for some sort of clustering effect with 3/4 extra shops opening. Lets hope just in the Jill shop we get something like a cheese shop, wine merchants or something else foodie to compliment the current high street dynamic..
scarpetta

Post by scarpetta »

Louise, exciting news about the additional pop up shops. Very much looking forward to finding out who the new tenants will be :)
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

jonekt The location of the pop ups has been dictated by availability and how amenable the landlord is. As it stands we are struggling to secure a fourth space despite approaching the owners of all of the empty shops in the high street.

The project should provide a much needed lift to Lower Sydenham however so I don't see it as a problem, but an opportunity. And we have some fantastic prospective tenants who will entice folks to make the trip from the top end of the high street!
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

I think location is key to any success and I'm just not sure these the mary portas pilot has got it right. I am speaking as someone who does all my weekly shopping on the high street and try to support the local shops as much as possible but you need a clustering effect. Going from Co-Op to Billings /Cake Store/fresh & fruity/ PFC/ Health Food shop etc is easy and results in foot fall as there is a cluster. Would I travel further every saturday if one of them was further away from the rest - probably not.

i totally get it must be really tough to secure a unit and also find good viable businesses. i am looking forward to Jill changing to a new shop and some pop up restaurants/ cafes appearing in the pocket squares that Chris Best mentioned in another thread. This could be very exciting if done well.

My fingers are still crossed, and if we get at least one good permanant shop/ restaurant/ cafe in the heart of Sydenham I feel the pilot will have been a success!
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Glad to hear the Shop Revolution is venturing further down the street!
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I saw the Mary Portas programme last night on Channel 4. I have to say it was interesting to see that she was doing exactly the same on the Roman Road that the SEE3 team are doing down here, apart from our guys have the added challenge and exciting prospect of revitalising three areas. Great to see your vision backed up by the lady herself though!

G-Man
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

I also watched the programme. Really interesting, I thought. Also showed what an upward struggle it is to get change & you need buy-in from the shops & community for it to work. Perhaps as residents we need to be more vocal in what we want by speaking to the existing shops/ cafes etc in sydenham when we use them? Maybe like the programme they genuinely don't see there is a demand in the area?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image