Why is there a lot of new graffiti on Sydenham High Street?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
art4

Re: Why is there a lot of new graffiti on Sydenham High Stre

Post by art4 »

michael wrote:Real art looks like this http://www.londonart.co.uk/sales/artwor ... rkID=87716
Why couldn't SEE3 have commissioned art4 to throw some paint at a wall? Something a bit more contemporary than a graffiti style mural that is so passe that it was included in both the Dulwich Arts Festival and the Sydenham Arts Festival.

The sad thing about Art4's sour grapes is that it leads her to attack everything that SEE3 (and the Sydenham Art Festival) have done, including much that is praiseworthy, successful, and popular. Every time I read her comments I'm so pleased that she was not put in charge of regeneration of Sydenham and Forest Hill.

Michael as I’ve already said you appear to take things too personally. And this reply from you is an example. Even I had forgotten I had some work on the londonart.co.uk web site- must have taken some research on your part; it is hardly the easiest site to navigate! I hope you are not stalking me!!

May be possibly though you’d be less forward in criticizing my work if you had bothered to research it further and found out that this had been part of an arts programme which I started up and ran for people with mental health problems. I then curated an exhibition which was nearly sold out showing their work and I included mine. Why not? We worked together on this and it gained a hugely positive response- as mentioned included sales!

Apart from your detective work, what is your background, what do you do?

Rachael I know you’ll want to respond too. Save me responding to one of comments- you listed a whole load of businesses which have NOTHING to do with SEE3. Syd Vintage as you know used their own initiative and set themselves up initially in the old flooring shop.

I think SEE3 may be jumping on the band wagon of shops opening up on the High Street which have nothing to do with them. The new ice cream shop Cherry & Ice- Chris Best said on 23 June on this forum that it is part of SEE3 work. Is it? If so why not mentioned on SEE3 web site?
Or she just down-playing the Jill hub- non event?
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

Simon - you really shouldn't waste your breath/ fingers. Art4 hasn't had a good word to say about the SEE3 project since she lost out on the tender to take part in it. And regardless of how much we, the residents of this area, say how much we support the project and appreciate all the effort that's being put in, Art4 still continues to be constantly negative about pretty much every aspect. I fear she may be the only person who is impervious to being convinced of the merits of the project!
art4

Post by art4 »

To Simon

Are you sure I have commented on the Greyhound mural? Possibly I have- but if so I liked the concept! But it’s a good point you make because I understand it went to public vote didn’t it?
Unlike the graffiti? And if I did go and paint over it like you suggest, would I not be committing a public order offence of some kind? Sorry ‘btw’ not to be keeping up to necessary speed with the jargon and I’ll use the word ‘regeneration from now on.
So ‘Simon’ I did submit a proposal ages ago- possibly it wasn’t very good and the focus is now on ensuring the job is done well. If I wasn’t genuinely interested in that happening then I would not put effort and time in posting here.
art4

Post by art4 »

JulietP wrote:Simon - you really shouldn't waste your breath/ fingers. Art4 hasn't had a good word to say about the SEE3 project since she lost out on the tender to take part in it. And regardless of how much we, the residents of this area, say how much we support the project and appreciate all the effort that's being put in, Art4 still continues to be constantly negative about pretty much every aspect. I fear she may be the only person who is impervious to being convinced of the merits of the project!
JulietP I remember when you started writing on this forum and thought here we have someone who is going to find it difficult to stop themselves from contributing to lots of different threads. You're not related to Rachael by any chance?

Hows the coffee man at Sydenham station? There's an important topic if there was ever one!
simon

Post by simon »

No Art4, the coffee man at Sydenham station would only be an important topic if you had underbid for the franchise, surely?
art4

Post by art4 »

Sorry I don't understand- what do you mean Simon?
Maria

Post by Maria »

Oh my goodness, this is fantastically hilarious! Who is going to write next?
michael

Post by michael »

art4 wrote:Michael as I’ve already said you appear to take things too personally. And this reply from you is an example. Even I had forgotten I had some work on the londonart.co.uk web site- must have taken some research on your part; it is hardly the easiest site to navigate! I hope you are not stalking me!!
I'm not taking anything personally. I'm just disappointed that you continue to have a personal vendetta against all the work of SEE3. You took it personally when they didn't give you a job, as you expressed forcefully on this forum with a number of explicit accusations that you have since removed. Over the course of your postings here and on EDF you provided a number of links to your work, which are all available via Google without navigating complicated websites, just because I read your posts and links provided and refer back to them does not make me a stalker.
art4 wrote:May be possibly though you’d be less forward in criticizing my work if you had bothered to research it further and found out that this had been part of an arts programme which I started up and ran for people with mental health problems. I then curated an exhibition which was nearly sold out showing their work and I included mine. Why not? We worked together on this and it gained a hugely positive response- as mentioned included sales!
I agree, I know very little about your work which is why I have not criticized it. All I know is how rude you have been about the work of other 'internationally renowned' artists working in Sydenham, refusing even to acknowledge them as artists but instead referring to them as 'ists'.
art4 wrote:Apart from your detective work, what is your background, what do you do?
What I do is try to make a positive difference to Forest Hill and Sydenham in my own small way, when I'm not working full time in a completely unrelated profession.
art4 wrote:I think SEE3 may be jumping on the band wagon of shops opening up on the High Street which have nothing to do with them. The new ice cream shop Cherry & Ice- Chris Best said on 23 June on this forum that it is part of SEE3 work. Is it? If so why not mentioned on SEE3 web site?
Or she just down-playing the Jill hub- non event?
I think Chris Best spelt out exactly the involvement of SEE3 in this shop opening:
Chris Best wrote:Please make time to call into Cherry & Ice .... This is part of our work to bring a more diverse offer to Sydenham high street and we have received fantastic support from the landlord of 27 in running Jill for 6 months. The landlord decided to go with an ice cream parlour rather than other proposals that I know would not have offered this opportunity to bring more footfall to the high street.
Working with landlords is one of the positive differences the SEE3 team are able to bring to the high street, bringing the right new businesses to the town centre. I see nothing worth criticizing here. I see an empty shop made use of by the SEE3 team for the community and then turned into what I hope will be a successful business bringing people back to the town centre. I think your comment only serves to highlight the positive effect that is going on in Sydenham by SEE3 and others.
art4

Post by art4 »

Thank you for such a comprehensive answer, a great structure.

So much so I am beginning to think that I should start exploring a few quotes too.

I’ll respond shortly
art4

Post by art4 »

To Stalker (aka Simon),
Thank you for helping me find links to my work. Perhaps you can find something which I didn’t even know that I’m doing at the moment- and I’ll crack on with that!

Despite disappointing you is there any chance that you could move on from the fact that I didn’t succeed with the SEE3 tender? I made valid points, but also went on and on about this and got on my own nerves! This was a long time ago, a year? Do you really think I’m spending my time twiddling my thumbs thinking ‘yeah if only I’d been given a chance…
instead lets create a vendetta towards SEE3’.

Of course not.

I have supported each of the pop ups and have purchased products. I could not though summons the energy to visit the Jill hub- I think it was totally pointless.

If it had been successful, then it would still be here. This probably was the most prime location available on the High Street yet SEE3 basically did not not have a clue how to use it. This is a complete waste of an opportunity and the landlord probably could not envisage a future. Who would? Surely it is not that complex to realise that an agreement with a landlord needs to be mutually beneficial?
Instead SEE3 spent ‘our funding’ on renovating a space which they are not able to use now. Beaten out of the market and in this case quite right. Our funding completely wasted.
This definitely makes me nervous- where else are they producing ‘white elephants’?
How did the clubbing night go? Just a few pictures are provided which do not give a feel of the numbers attending.

I’m undecided should I call you ‘Stalker’ or ‘Detective’? I think the latter?
Detective (I’ll call you ‘D’).
‘D’can I ask if Simon is also working on your team? He has suggested that I have criticised the Greyhound mural? Did I? According to you I am referring to ‘internationally renowned' artists working in Sydenham, refusing even to acknowledge them as artists but instead referring to them as 'ists'.

Have I?

Could you both remind me please?
michael

Post by michael »

Well I'm a bit lost regarding whether that is a response to me, Simon or somebody else. It may help if you refer to people by the names they choose on the forum rather than deciding to rename them as 'D' or 'Stalker' or whatever. If you are talking to me please call me 'Michael', it is my name as well as my chosen label on this forum.
art4 wrote:‘D’can I ask if Simon is also working on your team? He has suggested that I have criticised the Greyhound mural? Did I? According to you I am referring to ‘internationally renowned' artists working in Sydenham, refusing even to acknowledge them as artists but instead referring to them as 'ists'.
Have I?
Your original posting on this thread:
art4 wrote:When only months ago Cllr Best was rallying teams together to get rid of this. If this has since changed I am not sure why. Stuck in the numerous new traffic light system (a traffic light system a few metres from a roundabout?)- I watched a graffiti ‘ist’ in broad daylight; working from a piece of paper, spray caning a new image across the boards of the construction site just by Kirkdale Bookshop.
As I mentioned in my first post on this thread, I felt that the use of 'ist' was deliberately designed to reject the 'art' in graffiti 'artist'. since then Louise has confirmed that the 'ist' in question was 'internationally renowned':
louisecbrooks wrote:For clarity, permission was sought to use the space and the participating internationally renowned artists have largely been sourced by Global Street Art who we have collaborated with on the project. The owners of the walls and shutters approved the artists before the work was carried out. The local businesses who have been involved have been very pleased with the work, and contrary to one comment made here none of the pieces have been painted over.
As far as I am aware I have not met Simon (my apologies to Simon if we have met) and he is not part of any 'team' or which I am a member. For the record, I am not involved in the running of SEE3 nor am I employed by them. I know many of the people who are involved because we share the same interests in making a difference in the local area. I was part of the team that initially asked Lewisham to back or Portas bid from Forest Hill and Sydenham, so the project is one that is close to my heart and it has been pleasing to see massive changes brought about by the SEE3 team as well as many other local people determined to change our high streets.

But I'm not sure why I should feel the need to defend my position. You make a lot of accusations (such as Simon being 'on my team') but most of your details and accusations are entirely without merit.

I don't take any of this personally (since I'm not directly involved), I just hate to see good work and good people being rubbished in the way that you are doing. Perhaps you don't realise that this is how you come across but take it from every other poster on this thread, this is exactly how you are coming across.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

art4 wrote:
Rachael I know you’ll want to respond too. Save me responding to one of comments- you listed a whole load of businesses which have NOTHING to do with SEE3.
You are quite right, the examples I gave in my earlier post based in Forest Hill are not associated with SEE3. However, I never said they were, and I am sorry if you misread the post in which I listed them as being about SEE3. It wasn't. I was giving them as examples of niche retail businesses that are thriving in a local high street, as part of the wider discussion of what we want to see on Sydenham Road and Kirkdale. It's certainly a discussion worth having.

I apologise if I didn't make it clear in my earlier post that I wasn't talking specifcally about SEE3 projects. Not having contributed to this thread for a couple of days, I was surprised to see my name raised again.
Last edited by Rachael on 22 Jul 2013 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
art4

Post by art4 »

Hello Michael,

Sorry I just found it rather odd that you went to such lengths to track down my work? Then post it on the forum. By doing so you made this personal. I have since provided you with some background and possibly you owe me an apology?

I haven’t deliberately taken the art out of ‘graffiti ist’. Aren’t you being just a little bit too sensitive? Happily revise to graffiti artist. The point though I raised was not personal or specific to any artist or particular piece of work, it was instead to express my opinion that graffiti may not be helpful on the high street at a time when it is being redeveloped/ regenerated.

I am not expressing my view on graffiti/street art per se- that would be a different subject. In the same way it would be if I was to discuss any other medium of art.

In fact I’m trying to keep an open mind about the graffiti, have obviously read through the posts on this forum, understand that it has been commissioned and agreed with owners etc. However just because the correct channels have been followed doesn’t necessarily mean that it is the right thing to be doing at this point in time. It may be a result of poor judgement, alternatively I have read that some forum members are in favour of it.

The fact that Chris Best and locals recently removed lots of graffiti does make the introduction of it a contradiction. Who is to say what they removed wasn’t art? Neither am I saying it is but there needs to be some consistency.

I didn’t literally mean that you and Simon are on the same team or have anything to do with SEE3- that I wouldn’t know. Instead only a reference because you both made comments without grounds to back them up. I cannot recollect commenting on the Greyhound mural and if I had it would be to say that I like the concept chosen. And I haven’t as I’ve already explained made personal comments towards a specific graffiti artist.

The fact that I have spent time to offer my thoughts, opinions is in stark contrast to some of the defensive negativity on this thread.

For how long will it be thought that my reason for posting comments is rooted in ‘sour grapes’ for not being successful at tender?

I am genuinely interested in the success of the regeneration of SE26. Have done and will always support the pop up shops.
Billie

Post by Billie »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I believe Jill Hub was a great success! I visited every Sat with my 3 year old niece. We had an amazing time at the Easter bonnet making workshop. Another time we saw some short plays. I bought many things in there. I understood that it was never supposed to be there for a significant period of time. Wasn't the plan that that shop would be passed over to a business?
I think the SEE3 team are doing an amazing job. I hope they know that the majority of people support them and appreciate their imagination, passion and commitment to our highstreet. Keep up the good work! :D
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Regarding the greyhound, I think you are being mixed up with someone called artdog who came on the forum to slag the design off. I know it wasn't you Joanne. Luckily they were the only ones who felt that way.

I support see3 but it won't get everything right and it won't please everyone. What matters here is momentum and visible, positive change. That's why forest hill changed so rapidly. It may or may not work in Sydenham, only time will tell. I think you do raise some valid points, but id suggest that there are better ways if putting them. Or other ways of adding to the momentum.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
art4

Post by art4 »

I'm glad you know it wasn't me- I do genuinely like the concept and look forward to it happening.
michael

Post by michael »

art4 wrote:Sorry I just found it rather odd that you went to such lengths to track down my work? Then post it on the forum. By doing so you made this personal. I have since provided you with some background and possibly you owe me an apology?
Such length is hardly the case, I just remembered some links that you previously provided us with, as well as links to East Dulwich Forum. If posting these links is consider making it personal then fine, I made it personal but I think it was legitimate comment, especially given that you had removed all the nastiest stuff you posted last year, much of which was personal attacks and conspiracy theories.
And you have continued to make it personal with attacks like this one.
art4 wrote:I haven’t deliberately taken the art out of ‘graffiti ist’. Aren’t you being just a little bit too sensitive? Happily revise to graffiti artist. The point though I raised was not personal or specific to any artist or particular piece of work, it was instead to express my opinion that graffiti may not be helpful on the high street at a time when it is being redeveloped/ regenerated.
I don't think I was being over sensitive, it is such a peculiar phrase to use, with the quote where they were, that it could only have one meaning. Not 'graffitist', not 'graffiti-ist', and certainly not the more regular 'graffiti artist'. Given your subsequent attack on graffiti as not a form of art I continue to believe this was exactly what you meant.
art4 wrote:I am not expressing my view on graffiti/street art per se- that would be a different subject. In the same way it would be if I was to discuss any other medium of art.

In fact I’m trying to keep an open mind about the graffiti, have obviously read through the posts on this forum, understand that it has been commissioned and agreed with owners etc. However just because the correct channels have been followed doesn’t necessarily mean that it is the right thing to be doing at this point in time. It may be a result of poor judgement, alternatively I have read that some forum members are in favour of it.
I think your view on graffiti, and the art specifically around Sydenham in particular, is quite clear from the first posting and subsequent postings:
'The images in my opinion are very tacky (the equivalent of an Athena poster), provide no aesthetic value to the high street.'
'Graffiti, I think we have enough of this so has no added value. '
'I was approached last year to promote graffiti art in our gallery. Decided against because may not suit Dulwich Village? Perhaps if I was in Shoreditch might be different, but passed the opportunity 10 years or so ago there too.
Going off track here to a degree- but I think what does influence my perspective is the need to work out what can sell. So I take a business perspective. If I fail to do that then I’m compromising the artist.'

art4 wrote:The fact that Chris Best and locals recently removed lots of graffiti does make the introduction of it a contradiction. Who is to say what they removed wasn’t art? Neither am I saying it is but there needs to be some consistency.
I think you (and a lot of other people) need to distinguish between tagging and graffiti art. Just because they both use a spray can does not make them the same. I'm sure what Chris Best removed was actually tagging, not art, and I don't think there need be too much confusion. There was a time when Banksy graffiti art would be painted over by councils, now they are more likely to frame it and turn it into a tourist attraction. That doesn't mean that tagging needs to be treated with the same respect.
art4 wrote:I didn’t literally mean that you and Simon are on the same team or have anything to do with SEE3- that I wouldn’t know.
Of course you didn't, but always worth throwing the accusation out there, just in case. Your whole posting, with your (I’ll call you ‘D’) and 'To Stalker (aka Simon)', was way below even your usual standard.
art4 wrote:For how long will it be thought that my reason for posting comments is rooted in ‘sour grapes’ for not being successful at tender? I am genuinely interested in the success of the regeneration of SE26.
The fact that I have spent time to offer my thoughts, opinions is in stark contrast to some of the defensive negativity on this thread.
I think that is entirely up to you. Even in your initial post on this thread you had only one positive thing to say, and that was quickly tempered by the negatives in the same sentence. This was the thread you started, negativity all the way. I would like nothing more than to see an end to this thread so that we can focus on all the positive things happening in Sydenham.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

Michael, I don't think you can compare the graffiti art in Sydenham with Banksy. I wouldn't mind if we had something along the lines of a Banksy , but I hardly think you can equate the one with the dogs/ wolves / arrows or whatever with witty social comment or subtle, muted painting. I dislike the way this thread has become a slanging match and moved away from the original point. Some of this art is just hideous.

marymck

Post by marymck »

Presumably this is all just temporary and it will be removed at the end of the festival?

michael

Post by michael »

gerispringer wrote:Michael, I don't think you can compare the graffiti art in Sydenham with Banksy. I wouldn't mind if we had something along the lines of a Banksy , but I hardly think you can equate the one with the dogs/ wolves / arrows or whatever with witty social comment or subtle, muted painting. I dislike the way this thread has become a slanging match and moved away from the original point. Some of this art is just hideous.
My only point about Banksy was that our views on what is art does change over time. I claim no special powers of understanding what is 'good' from what is 'hideous' art, and perhaps context is everything.