House prices

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: House prices

Post by Eagle »

Robin

Quit correct.

The insurance of most houses locally would be less than half the estate agents value.

I am concerned that London going way of Tokyo in the 80's , the mega property boom , then mega crash , brought on two decades of recession in Japan.

No one benefits from high prices.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Doesn't insurance cover the cost of rebuilding the house? Valuation shouldn't really matter.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

You are quite Chris. Perhaps I did not word my post very well.

I meant that you only need to insure for costs of clearing the site and rebuilding which is probably less than 50% of selling price in most SE26 roads

I assume most people know that and are not over insured.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Hi… Regarding Girton Road…. I had thought that the road WAS a fairly desirable one. It has plenty of very pretty period houses (circa 1910 I'd guess).

Of interest, where would people think that the most desirable streets in Sydenham are?

(In this lovely sunny weather - at the moment - everywhere looks nice :) )
northlondoner

Post by northlondoner »

Sydenham Avenue :-)
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

I don't really know that area - it's a very wide road though (spacious)…. I thought that the Thorpe estate of roads, or the area behind Newlands Park Road (I think the estate agents call it the Venner Road 'toast rack' or similar ;-) are the most desirable? I suppose period (Victorian and Edwardian) houses would command a premium in general (anywhere)
alywin

Post by alywin »

FromCtoShiningC wrote:the area behind Newlands Park Road (I think the estate agents call it the Venner Road 'toast rack' or similar ;-) are the most desirable?
Wouldn't get much toast on that with only 3 "slots". Never heard it called that before :)
alywin

Post by alywin »

Eagle wrote:I truly hope those who are paying stupid prices have the cash and not buying on a mortgage. That is the route of dire consequences.
Well, actually, if you think about it, if you're getting a mortgage, the mortgage lender should at least be prepared to say "no, that price is too stupid, we're not lending on that". It's the people paying cash who have no way of knowing whether (or maybe by now by how much) a place is over-priced.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Venner Road Toast Rack.

I assume refers to Byne , Wiverton , Homecroft , Tredown and Newlands Park.

Never heard it refered to in that way. Barmy.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's be Venner Road Village next!
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

Yeah. It was my birthday recently and I decided to walk up from Lower Sydenham up the high street and along Dartmouth road to have a pint at the Wetherspoons in FH. I imagined i would see loads of gentrification, but after Sugahill and into 'Kirkdale Village' (apart from the nice new painted sign) it felt a bit depressing, until we got to the new shops/cafes in Forest Hill.
I think the move of turning the Woodman a (failing, admittedly) public house into an estate agents with it's prominent location at the roundabout is kind of unforgivable, and takes away any character the place has.