Exciting new kirkdale developments?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JMLF

Exciting new kirkdale developments?

Post by JMLF »

161 kirkdale (See3 shop which was host to aga's pop-up cafe and lovely raclette nights) has a planning application sign for "food connects ltd" to sell "premium/craft alcohol" inside and out.
Would have posted pic but don't know how to!
Also couple of doors down (opposite piano shop) a couple were being presented with one of the empty shops opposite with the seller flamboyantly describing what the shop name/face could look like....
Kirkdalian

Re: Exciting new kirkdale developments?

Post by Kirkdalian »

Apparently 161 is applying for a license to open a wine bar. We've spoken to the lady in charge and she seems passionate about the business and the area so I hope it is a success. I'd also be VERY happy to see something move in to those empty shops... that particular stretch of Kirkdale between the corner with Dartmouth Road and the corner with Willow Way could do with a bit of investment!
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

Wine bar? Sounds great! :D
harrym

Post by harrym »

Woohoo to that!
wen

Post by wen »

Very exciting news! I agree with Kirkdalian, would be happy to see all those empty shops in use :)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It is fantastic news. I hope SEE3 and the Sydenham Society really get behind it and support these new, exciting, vibrant businesses.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

leenewham wrote:It is fantastic news. I hope SEE3 and the Sydenham Society really get behind it and support these new, exciting, vibrant businesses.
and wine drinkers/general public
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

I will definately be making a concerted (spelling?) to be there on opening night and drag as many people along as possible on my bi-weekly visits (should it be lovely!) or so... I try and visit/go to places semi-regularly to support local places even if could do things cheaper at home!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Will it be accessible for the disabled?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Glad you share in everyones enthusiasm Tim.

I think we will have to wait for the business owners to answer that, but the door is wide and there is a ramp, but downstairs is where the toilet is in the current building.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

leenewham wrote:Glad you share in everyones enthusiasm Tim.
So I get more excited about the possibility of helping get all the trees, and maybe other features on Dacres Wood Nature Reserve, mapped and published on Open Street Maps, but that's my Congregationalist background for you. It doesn't mean I'm not delighted to see a business opening there which will provide an even more relaxing and accessible venue than the Dacres Wood Field Studies Centre, but we hope to work on that too, one day.
multisync

Post by multisync »

Tim Lund, sidetracking again !
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Tim makes a good point - The Windmill pub was fully disabled friendly, so if a new place opens, serving the same need, then one would hope that it too has thought of wether or not it's going to be able to respond to the locals needs - a disabled friendly licenced premises.
harrym

Post by harrym »

Whilst accessibility is important most of the community is not disabled, so it would be good to have a venue that is just a lovely place to be for everybody. If it is anything like the Windmill I shall avoid it like the plague. But here's hoping...
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

I assume we are still talking about the former agas cafe pop-up/see3 venue. In which case it would (I assume) almost certainly not be catering for those who used to frequent the windmill as it is a much smaller space and in addition from this thread it appears it will be a wine bar serving craft/premium beverages. As rightly stated by another poster the current toilet is downstairs and there was work going on to redo (again assuming) the downstairs space to be useable. Can't imagine therefore it will be fully disabled access however the entrance/main area should/could be.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Ps: definately been a lot of movement in the other retail unit I also mentioned in the original post - anyone got any ideas what's happening there/what it may be?!
wen

Post by wen »

Thought to add these here instead of the pop up thread - was going past 161 Kirkdale yesterday, and there's a new note from Belinda & Charles about opening a cafe with coffee, wines and craft beers. Included photos below, apologies for poor quality, was trying not to seem too suspicious taking photos of front shop :lol:

JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Aha. Wen - you to there before me! Had just posted in the pop-up eateries thread and was just copying and pasting the info here but no need!
Am already excited to the point of having dropped them an email!

Looking forward to it greatly :)

Jon
harrym

Post by harrym »

Woohoo!
elle

Post by elle »

They had me at "great coffee and wine"! Really looking forward to seeing what they have planned.