GPs in Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Kirkdalian

GPs in Sydenham

Post by Kirkdalian »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a GP surgery in Sydenham? We're currently with Sydenham Green but it now takes a month to get an appointment there... the one time I tried to make an emergency appointment, the doctor never bothered to call me. Are they all as bad as each other or is there somewhere that offers a better service than this? I'm quite near to Wells Park practice - does anyone have any experience of them?
Eagle

Re: GPs in Sydenham

Post by Eagle »

Re Wells Park, I know a lady who has recently moved from there to GP on Sydenham Bridge.

Bell Green probably overwhelmed by the mass of new flats in the area.

You need to insist you get an urgent appointment , polite but firm often works. Make the receptionist feel as if they are important , usually works for me.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Kirkdalian wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation for a GP surgery in Sydenham? We're currently with Sydenham Green but it now takes a month to get an appointment there... the one time I tried to make an emergency appointment, the doctor never bothered to call me. Are they all as bad as each other or is there somewhere that offers a better service than this? I'm quite near to Wells Park practice - does anyone have any experience of them?
The new system is that emergency appointments whereever are few and far between due to stupid cuts and changes that are supposed to help the public :roll: , which clearly don't. I'm at Wells Park but they are a disaster for a trying to get through to someone early - queue on the phone for 10 mins then the phone goes dead - when one does finally get through they have no appointments ofr about 3 or 4 working days by which time the problem has cleared up.

Time to sack that lying idiot Hunt me thinks
Kirkdalian

Post by Kirkdalian »

Thanks - even that poor service is a vast improvement on SG so I think I will switch. the first appointment I was offered today (for a 1-year old) was 27th June! One of the receptionists at SG told me (not sure she was supposed to tell me) that all the on-the-day appointments go to people who queue up in the morning so there are none left for people who phone. Great if you don't work I suppose. However, if I really wanted to do this, I would have a better chance of doing it at Wells Park surgery as it's nearer my house.

I agree though that this is not the fault of the individual GP surgeries as much as a problem with national policy :( :x
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I was going to suggest best to present yourself at opening time at the surgery. Never failed to get appt that way .
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

More like half an hour before opening if you want to be anywhere near the front of the queue!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Used to use Bell Green up to about 12 years ago then moved to centre on Perry Vale , The Vale Medical Centre.

I think Bell Green has got to big and too many patients. Perhaps too many new flats.

I remember as a child they were on Sydenham Road near Boots. Those were the days.

If having real problems you should contact the local Health Authority Provider.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

robbieduncan wrote:More like half an hour before opening if you want to be anywhere near the front of the queue!
I know I've queued at Wells Park with 30 others and the last 4 didn't get a same day appointment. Boy were they annoyed. Still there was one person who explained the NHS situation fully and who was to blame for the lack of funding. :wink:
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'm at the Vale Medical Centre and it's very good. They have a stable roster of doctors so you can usually see the same one every time if you chose. I've always been able to get a same day appointment by phoning in the morning. Yes, you have to redial until you get through, but that normally takes no more than ten minutes. I phoned last Tuesday morning, thinking it would be hard to get in after the three-day weekend. I got through after five minutes and had a choice of morning or afternoon with the doctor I asked for! You can also book ahead using the online system, those appointments are usually a week in advance and for the evening clinics.
wrightie

Post by wrightie »

For Sydenham green (as mentioned somewhere else on the forum), sign-up to EMIS patient access. You can often get appointments that aren't available by phone. For non urgent appointments they're often available next day, and definitely same week. Ask at the surgery.
Kirkdalian

Post by Kirkdalian »

Hmmm... thanks... I only have online access for myself, not my daughter. If I book an appointment for myself then turn up expecting them to treat her, will they do it do you think, or will it be a case of 'computer says no'?

Edit: I just rang them and apparently you can switch the names over. O happy day.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

We all have EMIS accounts - me, my husbsnd and the kids. I just log in to which ever account the appointment is for.
apcmoomin

Post by apcmoomin »

Useful tip for those that miss the early morning queue for Syd Green Practice - try ringing at 1.30-2pm to see if they have an afternoon appointment for that day. Sometimes they receive cancellations during the morning so release those appointments around that time. If it is an emergency, you should ask to see the Duty Doctor (?) - seem to remember I took my son to see the Duty Doctor a couple of years ago.
The online system is great for checking results of tests and viewing my medical record - for booking appointments though, I've only seen appointments available for the next 2 weeks onwards , but guess it depends on what time of day you log into the system?
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Rachael wrote:We all have EMIS accounts - me, my husbsnd and the kids. I just log in to which ever account the appointment is for.
I was told by Wells Park that I couldn't have EMIS access for my children - this is such a pain as it's them who seem to need to go the most!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Suzee wrote:
Rachael wrote:We all have EMIS accounts - me, my husbsnd and the kids. I just log in to which ever account the appointment is for.
I was told by Wells Park that I couldn't have EMIS access for my children - this is such a pain as it's them who seem to need to go the most!
I didn't ask, I just did it, and the surgery authorised it, no problem.
Kirkdalian

Post by Kirkdalian »

Just tried that... for SG you can't register online, you have to fill in a form at the surgery. I will ask them about it on Friday. What reason did WP give for not registering children?
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

http://www.wellsparkpractice.co.uk/online-services.html

See above, over 16s only and you need to get an access code from the Practice reception before registering.

They told me that under 16s weren't allowed to use the service so of course I argued that I would use it for them but to no avail.