Organic Fruit and Veg

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
walking_k8

Organic Fruit and Veg

Post by walking_k8 »

Hello! I've recently moved to the area - I'm wondering if anyone has a local supplier of organic fruit and veg? Are there any local farmers markets?
Thanks,
Kate
chrism

Re: Organic Fruit and Veg

Post by chrism »

The Saturday market at the Horniman museum in Forest Hill is fantastic. There's at least one organic veg stall but also a non-organic stall with really reasonable prices. Good cake and food, too and picnic benches to sit at. If you have kids, there are goats, sheep and the like to meet and a chime garden which is fun if you're a toddler.

I also like the Herne Hill market on a Sunday and the one in Crystal Palace.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Unfortunately no-one in Sydenham seems to do organic veg. So they don't get our custom and we get Able and Cole delivered to our door.

We have friend the market in Forest hIll which is great, but often don't get there early enough as it is on there win the morning. But the veg is really good there.

I wish we had somewhere in Sydenham, I wonder if our dreams will come true? ;-)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am not sure we can trust retailers who claim to sell organic . Some may , others may not.

Personally I am very careful what I eat but do not care whether organic or not. I think a bit of a con.

I expect to be shot down in flames here.

If whole world organic we could not fee everybody. Infact would not be 7 billion at all.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Yep, I'm shooting.

Yep, you are going down in flames.
walking_k8

Post by walking_k8 »

Thanks for the responses!!
Am currently getting Riverford delivered but would much rather support local businesses!
Looking forward to checking out the Horniman market! Popped into Well Being Health Food today and did see they have a small selection of organic fresh produce (and a great range of organic staples at good prices!!)
Would love to see more organic produce on the high street though! Keep me posted if you know of any other options :0)
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

If Saturdays aren't good for you/you miss it then Brixton farmers market on Sunday have the same organic veg stall as at horniman on sat (pretty sure it's same guys anyways) - direct to literally the markets doorstep in 7 mins from Syd hill station!

My pal is the manager of sutton community farm which although are not organic are striving to aim towards organic status. They are planning on potentially having a sydenham based pick-up point for their vegbag scheme secondary to a member of staff living here (nearly all their pick up points are closer to the farm location). Will keep people updated if interest and regardless I suggest checking them out as they are a great community run/not for profit farm which hold events and open the farm for workshops/visits :)
walking_k8

Post by walking_k8 »

Sutton community farm sounds wonderful - would definitely be interested in a bag pick up scheme. Please keep me posted!! I don't mind if produce isn't officially organic as long as there aren't loads of nasty pesticides going on my food! Will definitely check it out! Brixton sounds like a good option too!
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

I like to train it to London Bridge for Borough Market. Loads of stuff there