Car thieves

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Annie

Car thieves

Post by Annie »

:(

Yesterday we caught someone trying to break into a car on Lawrie Park Gardens, near Hall Drive, we called the Police having challenged the two men.
luckily we saw what they were doing and they moved off when we spoke to them.
but whether they caught them we will probably never know.

But just been warned they are in this area :cry:
sean

Post by sean »

Last week there was also a suspicious character in Byne Road hanging around and pretending to be on his mobile phone while looking at a side window.
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

Hiya guys this is not really car theft but last year by parents and my sister car number plates were all stolen from there cars which were parked at Lower sydenham station.

I believe this is still happening as i have seen a number of cars still with no number plates.
randomv

Post by randomv »

I had my car stolen in Lawrie Park Crescent nearly two weeks ago - hope there isn't a spate at the moment.
Wing

Post by Wing »

Theft of number plates, especially, from older cards is quite common recently especially with London's congestion charging. The stolen plates could be to avoid paying congestion charge or to avoid fines driving on bus lanes, parking on double yellow lines etc.

I would suggest you take and keep photos of the front and rear of your vehicle(s). This is for just in case you your number plates get stolen and then used to commit a traffic offence which is caught on CCTV. Your photos can be used to proof that the offfence is not your vehicle commiting the offence.

The other thing is always report the theft of your number plates to the police as soon as you notice it.
jackieboo

If I saw this happening

Post by jackieboo »

to my car or anyone else's ~I definitely wouldn't challenge whoever it was.

Not worth losing your life or being injured over a lump of metal.

My friend's husband did this and died of a heart attack due to the stress during the incident.

I don't even bib anyone anymore as you can't guage the reaction you will get from someone or just what weapons they are carrying around with them. In ANY area.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:cry:
Update,................................. yes we are now paying the price for being a good neighbour!

£100 EXCESS on the cost of replacing the window that had a brick thrown through it, would we do it again?.....................probably :wink:
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Oh no, that is terrible. I'd want to strangle them. But good for you anyway for saying you'd do it again. If it was my car you'd saved from being stolen I would have contributed heavily to the cost of your window. Do the owners know? I think you should tell them. I'm not saying you should ask them for anything, but they should still be aware of what your neighbourliness cost you.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
Ahhh,
thanks Savvy but to be honest it was our choice to challenge them, and it's an elderly person who owns the car so i wouldnt tell the person because they would only feel bad no point in spreading the misery a? :)