WHAT IF: GARAM MASALA

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

WHAT IF: GARAM MASALA

Post by leenewham »

Having recently had a chat with the owner of Garam Masala (and had a great meal there) we suggested doing a ‘What if’ for him.

BEFORE:

Our main observations about the current facade are that the yellow sign looks dated, the restaurant looks dark from the outside, some lights near the window would be good. The menu is too far from the door, it should really be next to it (it also stops diners feeling that people are staring at them). To shop front isn’t original so there is a space above the windows which looks odd.

BUT WHAT IF?:

LINK TO FULL TEXT OF WHAT IF SYDENHAM BLOG
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Nice job Lee!

Removing those tiles is a good idea, like the font as well, purple is maybe a bit erm purple :) But if they like it I hope they change it as it will look great.
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

OK Lee, I eat humble pie: that looks amazing! If only the GM boss would adopt your design idea - would be a pleasure to walk passed that shop front.
pip

Post by pip »

Nice one Lee but why move the location.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Ha Ha, Schoolboy.
I note the telephone number has also changed
I hope you have someone to proofread your work before submission....

Whilst i don't hate the current GM shop front, I do think Lee's effort is considerably better, and likely to gain more business
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Lol, oops, I didn't notice the number!

The telephone number is the same, they have 2 for some reasons, I just put one on there (the number on the right from the original image).

Anyway, lets not get distracted from the main point of the post ;-)
simon

Post by simon »

See your blog got a plug in the Guardian today Lee, well done.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010 ... ith-fulham
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Hi Lee

I think that's a great improvement! How much would that cost to implement?
apcmoomin

Post by apcmoomin »

I think it looks great! A huge improvement on the current signage. If I didn't already know what the shop front was for, I would definitely stop, have a nosey and try it out. With the current setup, I probably wouldn't go in, were it not for the good reviews that I have about it on here. Let's hope they try out the suggested design!
ariana.p.newham

Post by ariana.p.newham »

Glad to see you like this "what if" . We'll try to show it to them soon and get some estimates for cost.

Thanks for the link Simon!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Yes thanks Simon for the link, we had no idea, I wondered why we were getting so many hits!

We got in touch with the guy from The Guardian a while ago to promote the local blogs in and around Sydenham, including this forum. He said he'd keep an eye of them.

As my MUCH better half says, we will try to get some approximate costs together.
floom

Post by floom »

Ronski: "...purple is maybe a bit erm purple..." :D
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I've had a few messages about this one, thanks for that.

I'd like to add that if you like any of the what if's PLEASE mention it if you visit the owners.

Here's a quick link to some previous ones:

MUSTIS

KENTE

EMPTY SHOPS

GIFT SHOP

Word of mouth is important.

Lots of shops in the high street have changed their signs or frontage without it being an improvement. Hopefully the what it's can help inspire business owners to make a change for better rather than just making a change which will make Sydenham Road a nicer place to be for all.

It's worth mentioning this forum to businesses on the high street. A lot haven't heard of it, most don't use it, but it can be an important tool for local business. This site gets a lot of hits and while it would be good if more people posted a LOT of people look at it (but often don't post).

We should do all we can to help local business and I believe this forum can and should be part of that.
bencooke

Re: WHAT IF: GARAM MASALA

Post by bencooke »

Then there's just the small matter of a complete refurb of the adjoining properties along "Basra Parade" and we'd be getting somewhere!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It would be good if all the facias were standardised for these.

I agree the overall state of that parade of shops is shocking. Surely the council should step in and do something about it because it affects the perception of the whole of Sydenham.

People like the new owners of Garam Masala are suffering as a result. The state of the dry cleaners, a place that is supposed to be about making clothes clean and fresh is a prime example.

Now if only just ONE shops would actually capitalize on the work we have done, we could get feedback and use it as a case study to show costs and the change in trade before and after. If only the same anonymous contributer who donated 10 grand to the mosaic would do the same for a what if we could make a real difference and make Sydenham Road a nicer place to be.
sydenhamboy

Leenewman for president

Post by sydenhamboy »

Lee - can you not drop leaflets off to the business with coloured prints (we'd all chip in/help out) and is it possible you could 'knock up' what the street could look like incorporating a few shops in a row.

Someone needs to actually put it into practice. Your ideas are superb. Was in the Trattoria the other night (see my last post) Sydders has such potential. The businesses need to wake up and smell the coffee (and there's enough coffee in the high street now) and improve their facias and external decor.

Keep up the good work - but it needs to be picked up and run with ...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi Sydenhamboy,

I agree with you.

We aren't just posting these images on the forum and our blog.

We have spoken to Kente, Musti's, the people who may be opening a fishmongers/butchers, the council, every local estate agents, Ghurkas among others about this. While the response has been really positive, getting people to part with any cash to make it happen is difficult.

The people we have done what if's for do know about it!.

What we want to happen is for a business to run with it so I can gather costs, feedback and any upturn in business and create a case study to encourage other businesses to follow suit.

My time is limited so we do what we can when we can.

I'm glad you like Trattoria. Were fans of Raff. We designed his website and give them little gifts like the spaghetti toilet signs he has. More places like his would be a great asset. I'm really pleased they came in the top 5 of 'who do you love in Lewisham'.

Regarding helping out, perhaps a few of us like minded folk should get together to thrash something out.