son mugged

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
catwoman

son mugged

Post by catwoman »

Just thought i would warn people of a mugger on Mayow road.
my son walked his friend to the post box on Mayow road at 7.20pm tonight and on his return home, a young black boy around 17 years old, wearing a dark hoodied jumper riding a dark coloured mountained bike stopped him near hazel grove estate and asked him for the time. My son pulled his mobile phone out to tell him the time and the boy on the bike snatched it out of his hand and rode off toward the bottom of mayow road.
My son called out to a man walking ahead of him for help and the man ignored him and carried on walking.
The police arrived within five minuets which i was quite surprised about and took my son for a drive around sydenham to see if they could find him, but sadly they didn't. The police man was very helpful and said he would even check C.CTV footage, though he doesn't think it will help as the cameras are situated at the end of the road, but they might show the boy entering mayow road.
Just thought I would ask if anyone who happened to be near Mayow road at the time saw the boy at all?
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Hope your son is ok.
I've noticed that there seems to be a few more dodgier characters hanging out in the streets now that is a bit lighter/warmer in the evenings.
Probably not the same guy - but a couple of weeks ago, I did see a couple of hoodied up youths on bikes riding up Mayow near Burghill Rd going up to people and shouting general abuse.
lbere

Post by lbere »

Hi Catwoman, hope your son is ok. This happened twice to my son (who was 12 at the time) first at 7.20 in the morning whilst waiting for a bus and then at 4.30pm when he got off a bus. Different people were involved and both of them on bikes. The first time he went straight onto school and rang me when he got there, we reported it to the police (just incase some one else was attacked), who did come around and take a statement. The second time was a bit more scary as they tried to drag him up an alleyway. The police responded at once, and drove him around and then came back again as they spotted the offenders, sadly the offenders (who were well known to the police) denied it all.
apcmoomin

Post by apcmoomin »

think i saw the same pair a couple of weeks ago too on my way back from the station, as I passed Burghill rd . They were riding along and shouting abuse at people they passed, and even rode up the wrong way on the other side of the road to shout abuse at people walking on that side of the road. I do recall a strong waft of cannabis smell as they rode past me

I'm gonna dig out my personal safety alarm - I thought I was done with it now that the evenings were getting lighter.
I really do hope your son is OK catwoman - and I hope that you are Ok too. I am assuming that you live fairly close to where incident took place?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'd like to join in the general well wishing and hope you and your son are ok.

I hope the police catch the culprits soon. I have to admit to being impressed with the police and SNT here who seem pretty on the ball.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

I would like to thank you all for your concern and your well wishes. Just thought i would let you all kmow that the police dropped by today to inform us of an ongoing ivestigation in the area. I informed them that i had submitted a post on the forum and they are now aware of the incident with the youths on burghill road that a couple of you mentioned, so hopefully they can keep an eye out for such behaviour in that particular area.