Sydenham Library

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
jonekt

Sydenham Library

Post by jonekt »

Just read in the evening standard, Sydenham library might be taken over by an not- for profit entrepreneur & he plans on keeping it open. Sounds fantastic if it happens..!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
maestro

Re: Sydenham Library

Post by maestro »

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Anyone know of any other groups /organisations / individuals that Darren's working with?
John_Hugill

Post by John_Hugill »

We did that story first! Wish someone read our paper...

A disgruntled South London Press reporter...
maestro

Post by maestro »

John_Hugill wrote:We did that story first! Wish someone read our paper...

Well if you did, there's no mention on your website of it as I've just searched, so no link could be provided to "your" story.
kennyb

Post by kennyb »

We did that story first! Wish someone read our paper...

they might well do if the link onthe news page took one to your paper instead of load of old rubbish...........
darrent

Post by darrent »

Hi Everyone,

It's Darren Taylor - that’s looking at saving Sydenham Library.

Please excuse me for my bullet style message, I am dyslexic and this is the best way for me to write.

A new charity is being setup called Eco Libraries.

Within the charity we will have a subcommittee for the four libraries, a subcommittee for Sydenham, Crofton Park, New Cross and Grove Park

On the sub committees will be local residents, local groups and investors (Sponsor).

We are looking at gaining enough money to pay the running costs and for one Library manager from sponsorship, recycling books, IT training (UK Online)

We are looking at each site being a heritage centre, showing off the history of Sydenham. The library will run at near full capacity of books.

At the moment, Hyde Housing has said they will invest some money into Sydenham, because they have tenants living in Home Park.

We would give space to Sydenham Community Radio Station, which is a great project which I have always backed, from when they were in my shop on Sydenham Road.

Eco Computer Systems is running a community library at the moment in Deptford, which has been so successful, I know that a full library is a lot bigger than a community library and this is
why we have to take on a Library Manager.

Eco Computer Systems has been running IT training courses, like libraries do, but going one step better, by giving the older people a computer and one year’s broadband for free.

Eco Computer Systems can only do this with everyone on board.

Please do ask any questions, and I will answer them.

Kindest Regards and happy xmas.

Darren Taylor
John_Hugill

Post by John_Hugill »

maestro wrote:
John_Hugill wrote:We did that story first! Wish someone read our paper...

Well if you did, there's no mention on your website of it as I've just searched, so no link could be provided to "your" story.

That's a fair comment. It was just tongue in cheek anyway :-) Merry Xmas one and all.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Interesting story on one community's response to the threat to their library :

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 85447.html
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

More on the sort of thing Darren has in mind here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aixcGY6f2yM
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I was going to suggest we do the same thing here, and take out all the books from the library. It is still a measure of how often the library is used, however, taking books out, doesn't bring in revenue - the cost to run the library is the same if no books are taken out, or if they're on a constant loop in and out. as someone pointed out about Stoney Stratford, the council will just say, keep the books, and close the library anyway, saving money on the cost of emptying the library. Plus, there's a good bus service from Stoney Stratford to central Milton Keynes, where the library is much better. In our case we need to find ways to get more people using the library for other community uses that actually bring in some revenue... is there space to set up a bridge club? or turn a portion of it into a community activity area? You can tell I've never been in there when I have to also ask - is there a cafe? refreshments available? how about making it a licenced premises? or a form of social club? Are there internet able computers there? it'd be reasonably cheap to buy some 4 or 5 year old computers, and set up an internet cafe type place too. lots of ideas available really!
Iris

Post by Iris »

My Son just called out as he was watching :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsi ... 369139.stm
What a great idea .
Also noticed others have placed the link .
Let 's get into action
I know a place where the can be stored, or if we all take a box or two each....