Is It Faster to Cycle or Take Public Transport?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
hairybuddha

Is It Faster to Cycle or Take Public Transport?

Post by hairybuddha »

Another excellent data blog in The Guardian. Although not sure if this is an advert for cycling or a strong case for getting better tube facilities South of the river!

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablo ... ort-faster
paultee76

Re: Is It Faster to Cycle or Take Public Transport?

Post by paultee76 »

I assume by average they meant Mark Cavendish's sprint times...think I'll stick to the train
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I'm not a quick cyclist - I think I average about 10 miles an hour.
I normally use public transport - at most 15 mins walk to Sydenham, then overground to Whitechapel, then a 254 bus to Mare St, Hackney. It takes just over an hour (anywhere from 50 mins to 1 hr 15).

If I cycle, I have to go further, (about 9.5 miles) to cross the Thames at Tower Bridge, and there's a short steep hill on the way to work, and on the way back a long climb up past Peckham Rye, and over the top of Forest Hill, and my cycle ride takes me about an hour in and an hour 15 back.

so on most days public transport / cycling are about equal. I'm sure as I get fitter, cycling will become quicker. when there are delays on public transport, the time taken increases dramatically.

added benefits of cycling are that I'd get fitter, and live longer.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Obviously a pretty open ended question HB! When I cycle there and back from work (twice a day) it averagely
takes 20 mins for me each way by bike, by car I can often do the same journey in about 10 mins with the added
bonus of keeping dry on a wet day. If the roads are bad (not too often on my particular journey) it would be
quicker to cycle. So hard to say on an average basis but cycling does keep me fit so a balancing act, time vs
fitness, in my own situation.

BTW: I wouldn't choose to measure the pros and cons in terms of which is faster but personally do tend to measure
in terms of: Petrol money saved, personal fitness and enviromental benefits to all. :D
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

ah yes of course, money comes into it as well.
I currently pay £88 for a monthly zone 2-3 travel card. If I cycle more than once a week, I'm losing money on the travel card, which disincentivises me to cycle more frequently.
If I didn't buy a travel card, I'd have to cycle everyday, or pay more for day travel, and I'd get fitter quicker.
I'd also have wear and tear / maintenance on my bike.
Andwar

Post by Andwar »

Definatly its quicker to cycle.

I cycle from Cobbs Corner to Hyde Park and the journey takes me about 40 minutes and a distance of 10 miles. If I leave home at 6:30am then by bike I am at work by 7:10pm and then I have to change so I am at my desk by 7:30 most days.

If I take the train from Sydenham to Victoria the 6:35am train then I can be at my desk by 7:45pm. The tube is quicker by 5 minutes but at a price, more than double the cost of the Victoria service.

So all in all I save 20 minutes travelling and keep fit in the process. However, now the days are drawing in public transport is preferable from a safety point of view.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Getting to Canary Wharf, London Overground has tipped the balance. Before, cycling was clearly faster, now it's public transport, by between 5 and 10 minutes. Most times, though cycling is still the better option - cheaper, keeps you fit and avoids the crush on the Jubilee line from Canada Water to Canary Wharf. Also, thanks to the cycle route along the River Pool, pretty safe.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

I travel to Canary Wharf every day and door to door it takes me 35-40 mins ...much quicker than cycling.
I am a fan of cycling but this route is not one that lends itself.
Remember also for cycling you have to add in the time for that shower etc.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
stuart

Post by stuart »

It takes no longer to have a shower after a bike ride than a shower before the tube ride. Indeed after the hot pressure cooker hop between Canada Water & Canary Wharf it might be nice to have another or wish some passengers ever bothered!

You also need to add the time it would take to get the equivalent exercise.

Stuart
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

I totally agree on the benefits of cycling heath wise...no argument there. But put simply...for my regular journey and the fact that I invariably work late, winter is approaching, I may have a beer...the public transport option is both quicker and safer.
I would love to cycle ...maybe if either I or the company move.

Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

We really do need a cycle shop that services bikes in Sydenham. It would surely make money.

stuart

Post by stuart »

Cue usual plug for Winston @ SE20 Cycles in Penge High Street (just up from Maple Road). Not quite Sydenham but probably the nearest for most of us.

The shop website appears to be offline atm. Penge Cycle Club is based there and they are active at getting kids and adults (back) on the road: http://pengecycleclub.org.uk/.

Sydenham's own bike shop expired years ago. Soon to re-open as a tattoo parlour. That's progress ...

Stuart
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Thanks for the link. I usually go to Deens Garage in Beckenham. Ideally would like something on our own high street. Just nicer to feel "ownership" ...still interesting about the kids stuff in Penge as my 10 year old son is keen.

mikej

Post by mikej »

I really like what Stuart said - two excellent points that hadn't occurred to me!!

Stuart:
It takes no longer to have a shower after a bike ride than a shower before the tube ride. Indeed after the hot pressure cooker hop between Canada Water & Canary Wharf it might be nice to have another or wish some passengers ever bothered!

You also need to add the time it would take to get the equivalent exercise.
SepticSkeptic

Post by SepticSkeptic »

Sydenham to Camberwell. For 9am.
Cycle: 23 mins.
176 bus: 50 mins

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

OTOH, public transport is better for reading a book.

14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Tim Lund wrote:OTOH, public transport is better for reading a book.

Yes Tim, especially on a windy day as the pages get blown around too much. :lol:
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

SepticSkeptic wrote:Sydenham to Camberwell. For 9am.
Cycle: 23 mins.
176 bus: 50 mins

Wow SS, I'm impressed! :D
(A few hilly bits in that journey too!)..
SepticSkeptic

Post by SepticSkeptic »

:-) I'm no athlete!

Outward is fairly easy only upper Kirkdale to deal with. Then downhill untill incline on cycle path behind dog kennel hill sainsbury's.

Return is tough whichever route, lordship lane or Dulwich village/college road.

I used to do path from Syd Hill up to Dulwich Wood House! Very slowly!

wrightie

Post by wrightie »

25 minutes to Fenchurch Street,, less on the rare occasions the lights are with me. 45 by foot and train, the walk both ends takes almost as long as the ride. Earnt myself a "door prize" four weeks ago, resulting injuries have me using the train. Journey too fragmented, and stages too short for a decent read. Find myself surprised by the cost everytime!