Taking the Piss

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
marymck

Re: Taking the Piss

Post by marymck »

If I'm in town when the urge strikes, I tend to stroll into the nearest, poshest hotel, with an air of entitlement. Not so useful in Sydenham, with its dismal lack of hotels.

There was a scheme to encourage shops and cafes to open their loos to the public. I think Chef's Delight was one of those that enrolled. I don't know if the scheme still exists. Otherwise, try bluffing your way into the Sydenham Centre. They have loos and they're publically funded. It's an electrically operated door and you might have to sign in and out.

The loos by the station will be replaced eventually.
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

Mcdonalds is usually my last resort toilet destination. No use in sydenham, though!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
parker

Post by parker »

You were in 'Piccadilly Circus...?!' and couldn't find a free toilet? So there wasn't a Starbucks, McDonald's etc? It might be illegal to pee in the street (in the morning) but it isn't illegal to use the ones in coffee shops etc. Spare me! Christ we do like to moan for the sake of moaning on this forum don't we... This is a forum about Sydenham and you can use the one in Chef's Delight for free...

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

There was a proposal for this scheme "Community toilet scheme for Sydenham Road"
On the 11th June 2011, the Sydenham Assembly voted to accept the Town Centre Steering Group’s plan to trial a Community Toilet Scheme to replace the old toilet in Station Approach, which will be demolished when Station Approach is refurbished.

Three businesses in Sydenham Road have agreed to take part. They are the Kente and Blue Mountain cafes, and the Two Halfs pub. Please note: the scheme has not started yet – signs similar to those below will be displayed in their windows when the scheme is active.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I was once told by someone who ran a pub that if a premises is licensed, they have to let you have either a glass of tap water or use the toilets. I'm not sure if it's true, but worth looking into.
stuart

Post by stuart »

If you entitled to a Freedom Piss then you can leap aboard a Class 377 at Sydenham Station (the revolving door jobby), pee on Forest Hill and catch another back for a No.2.

Not as exciting as Chiltern Railway's latest offering which I enjoyed yesterday ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24091683
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Rod, Carry an empty milk bottle around at all times. Just in case! :oops:

Seemples! :wink:
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

What if ------- Rod is a woman! :wink:

bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Funnily enough it's generally not illegal to urinate in public per se.

It's also illegal for local authorities to put turnstiles in their public lavatories in their public toilets under the Public Lavatories (Turnstiles) Act 1963: so if the one in Piccadilly Circus is owned by Westminster Council I'd write a strongly worded letter of complaint.

marymck

Post by marymck »

For future reference when in town ...

http://golondon.about.com/od/londonforf ... oilets.htm

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rod
I too am baffled. Coffee shops usually have toilets . As others said easy to pop into pub , shop , cafe all who usually have toilets.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Just buy a coffee and the Loo is all yours, or are you a cheapskate? ;0))

marymck

Post by marymck »

Not everyone can afford the time or the money to buy a coffee every time they want to use the loo. When I looked at some of the council (I.e. tax payer) funded public loos on the site I gave a link to, I was shocked at the number that didn't have disabled access and could only be accessed via stairs.Another reason to leave London before getting old or infirm.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mary
One does not have to purchase a coffee or anything else if you want to use the convenience of say a Pub or McDonalds.

They are so busy they have no idea whether you are a customer or potential customer .

Re disabled access , tend to agree. But why do you seem to think better outside London?

True far more old and disabled outside London as proportion of the population , but that does not always mean more facilities.

I do not agree that elderly better of moving to Worthing or Eastbourne ( God's waiting Room ). London has the youngest population in the UK and therefore better able. to look after its relatively few elderly.
marymck

Post by marymck »

I suppose just from my personal experience, Eagle, I think smaller towns generally seem to have more accessible public loos. My mum has a key that enables her to use disabled facilities. We've never had a problem findng these in smaller or county towns. I guess other cities are like London, but London is obviously the city of which I have most experience.