Water leak on Silverdale

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Re: Water leak on Silverdale

Post by Tim Lund »

JRobinson wrote:the water leak at the brow of the hill, on Silverdale, opposite Bishopsthorp still appears to be running.

on another note, related to location of underground assets, National Grid have launched utility record information website to prevent asset damage
Thanks Jon
Our Managing Director John Robinson stated “We congratulation National Grid on their common sense approach to sharing their asset record data. Every year utility providers make substantial claims to companies and individuals’ within the construction industry who damage their assets. By making utility asset record data more easily available this has to be a step in the right direction.”
Any relation?
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

sadly not
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

#thameswater silverdale leak still there! How many months!?
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

#thameswater ... At least 7 months!!!
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

It's getting ridiculous. It's got algae growing on it.

They'll be a little eco-system starting soon. Scientists will start visit to witness how life on earth first started.

Ok I'm exaggerating a bit - but the algae bit is true.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I know - it's ridiculous. I was also thinking the emerging ecosystem might be of interest for biology classes.

And there is also this

I thought I'd found someone in the Council who was taking it up, but obviously I should have kept up the pressure.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Tim Lund wrote:Please retweet!

Follow me on Twitter @TimLundSE26
done :D

oh and followed :lol:
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

#ThamesWater #SydenhamRoad #waterleak - all STF posts get retweeted automatically, so this should end up in the twitterverse anyway.

Come on Thames Water - get your flippin act together!

p.s. #IhatePurelake and #GreyhoundPub too.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

May I suggest all the good Burghers of Silverdale refuse their Water Rates until this matter sorted.

It may not be the volume of The Amazon , however wasting many many gallons of water.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Yesterday I got the sort of bland, automated response I had become used to:
Our Ref: 33105857

Leak in Silverdale

Dear Mr Lund

Thank you for your email about the ongoing leak in Silverdale.

We have fixed a leak in Silverdale opposite Bishopsthorpe Road, however I understand this is leaking again. We're investigating this and I'll update you within the next 10 working days.

If you need to speak to me in the meantime, please call me on 08456 410016, extension 69708. I'm in the office between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Yours sincerely

Wendy Tugwell

Customer Resolution
to which I have just replied, copying in the local councillor on the case and the LB Principal Public Health and Nuisance Officer who took it up:
Dear Ms Tugwell

Given the case history, 10 days waiting for an update on a problem which you "understand ... is leaking again" is not good enough, especially when you have the photographic evidence before your eyes.

To remind you of the history, I am fairly sure this problem has been going on for over a year, although it was only last September that I was moved to photograph it and post it on line. If you look through your records for this - your ref 33105857, you will find several emails, such as this:
22 November 2013

Silverdale road

Dear Mr Lund

Thank you for your email and for speaking with me today. I’ll continue to look the two leaks located along Silverdale road and I’ll update you by 29 November again at the latest.

The leak located near the junction of Bishopsthorpe Road has been confirmed as a Customer Side Leak (CSL). This is a leak within the boundary of a property and is the responsibility of the property owner. We are currently trying to resolve this issue.

The leak near the entrance of Mayow Park was repaired on 31 October 2013 but on 4 November 2013 there was still a further leak. We are still investigating this leak but this is also believed to be a CSL to a nearby property.

Thank you for letting us know of this and I’ll update you again next week. I hope this helps. If you need to contact us again regarding this matter, please telephone me on 08457 200897. Our offices are open between the hours of 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Yours sincerely

Aston Gray

Customer Resolution

However, after taking up the case with LB Lewisham Environmental health, I learned from an email sent Dec 3rd
Dear Mr Lund,

Thnak you for the email below.
The Environmental Enforcement team have been dealing with Thames water with regard this issue and have undertaken a number of site visits.

Thames water have verbally advised to us that the leak is their responsibility and an engineer is booked to attend site this afternoon to undertake remedial work.

Officers will revisit tomorrow to check on the work undertaken and provide an update.

Kind regards
Mike Watkinson

Principal Public Health and Nuisance Officer.
and later this email sent Dec 12th
Afternoon all,

Further to my earlier email Thames Water advised that they have sent a permission document to Highways to be able to dig up the pavement to repair the leak.

permission is apparently required where works are not deemed as emergency. Retrospective permissions can be gained for emergency works.

Apparently the stop clock for the pipe has been located so there currently shouldn’t be any leaking water currently. I will ask officers to check on this.

I have spoke to Highways team who have advised they have not yet received any correspondence regarding this site.
They have kindly offered to chase this with a senior manager contact they have in Thames Water to find out what is happening.

Kind regards
Mike Watkinson
Principal Public Health and Nuisance Officer.
From which is it clear that Thames Water had accepted responsibility for this leak, and that the statement in the 22 November email, stating that this was a customer side leak was false.

Equally false, it seems, was any hope that the problem would be fixed following Thames Water's eventual recognition of their responsibility for this.

It is now summer, and what I feared would be a temporary hazard in freezing weather has become a permanent hazard thanks to the algae I need to step round on my walk to Sydenham Station.
So, anyone who's got this far, please email Thames Water Customer Services

CUSTOMER.FEEDBACK@thameswater.co.uk

reference 33105857, Tweet about it to @Thameswater, or if you have access to a phone line where you don't have to pay the charges for 08456 numbers, call on 08456 410016, extension 69708, between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday and ask for Wendy Tugwell

08456 - numbers - there's another nice revenue stream for Thames Water!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Top work - Duly RT'd

There is a similar leak on Anerley Hill which has a vast growth of algae all around it. I've almost come a cropper on it on the bike a couple of times.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Email: Customer.Feedback@thameswater.co.uk

29 May 2014

Leak in Silverdale

Dear Mr Lund

Thank you for your further email. We've visited Silverdale and found a leak on our water main in the road. Before we can begin work, we need to confirm if any traffic management is needed to allow us to work safely and prevent disruption to local residents. We'll also need permission from the local authority to dig up the road.
I'm waiting for a date when the leak will be fixed and will update you again by Wednesday 4 June. I'm sorry for the time taken to resolve the leak.

If you need to speak to me in the meantime, please call me on 08456 410016, extension 69708. I'm in the office between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Yours sincerely

Wendy Tugwell

Customer Resolution
mosy

Post by mosy »

I wonder who thought up "Customer Resolution" as the department/sign off? Is that the equivalent of "Please hold"?

Still, not long until 4 June...
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

4 June 2014

Leak in Silverdale

Dear Mr Lund

We've visited to assess if traffic management is required to carry out the work, we're waiting for a date from the local authority when we can fix the leak.

I'll contact you again by Friday 6 June with a further update. If you need to speak to me in the meantime, please call me on 08456 410016, extension 69708. I'm in the office between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Yours sincerely

Wendy Tugwell

Customer Resolution
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

surely they mean leaks ?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

6 June 2014

Leak in Silverdale

Dear Mr Lund

We've attended but cars were parked where we need to work, we are arranging for cones to be put on the road to prevent this. I'll contact you again by Wednesday 11 June with a further update.

Yours sincerely

Wendy Tugwell

Customer Resolution
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

10 June 2014

Leak in Silverdale

Dear Mr Lund

I'm writing with a further update regarding this matter. We'll be attending today to fix the leak.

I'll contact you again by Friday 13 June to confirm this has been done.

Yours sincerely

Wendy Tugwell

Customer Resolution
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

13 June 2014

Leak in Silverdale

Dear Mr Lund

I'm writing with an update on this matter. Unfortunately, the repair didn't go ahead as planned so we'll be attending on Monday 16 June to complete this.

I'm sorry for the further delay. I'll contact you again by Friday 20 June to confirm this has been done.

Yours sincerely

Wendy Tugwell

Customer Resolution