Sydenham Market last Sunday of the month

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Chris Best

Sydenham Market last Sunday of the month

Post by Chris Best »

Sydenham Food & Crafts Market
Sunday 29 Sept 10am - 4pm

Sydenham food market is back with lots of scrummy delicacies plus crafts on Sunday 29 September. The food market will be held on Venner Square with the crafts market trying out the new pedestrianised space in Station Approach.

We are also pleased to have the Sydenham and Forest Hill Youth Forum working with the Young Mayor office launching youth stalls. This is for young people to share business ideas fleshed out via workshops with Headstart RBS - supporting budding entrepreneurs to trade. There will also be hustings for the Young Mayor.

Please get in touch with us if you are interested in taking a stall. It is a very reasonable £35 pitch fee and we will be trading in October and November with a Christmas market in December.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Re: Sydenham Market last Sunday of the month

Post by Eagle »

I hope everyone pops into Kente for a lovely coffee and snack. Will be cheaper than the market. Courtesy papers as well.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm looking forward to the market. It's really great, with exciting food, small producers etc.
Get a coffee to go Eagle and try something new.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Lee

1. I like my coffee sitting down.

2. Cannot stand the phrase ( to go ). It is ( take away ).

I have not seen the market , just have been advised rather pricey , but I could be wrong.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Depends on what you mean by pricey. Good, exciting, different, crafted food for a few quid is good value in my book.

Perhaps go yourself and make up your own mind. They have benches so you can sit down too with your coffee to go...er, I mean take away Kente coffee. ;-)
mosy

Post by mosy »

I particularly liked the odd day or two in summer when they had singers/guitars and backing track music playing also. Brought the market "full of life" as well as advertising that "something is going on". There have been occasional musicians at the Queensthorpe pocket. Not sure how these are organised or if time slots have to be applied for etc.

Anyway, fingers crossed for good weather :)

Edit PS: Could the pocket at the end of Station Approach support music? Dunno if the Skanska post elec outlets are active yet.
safdirector

Post by safdirector »

Sydenham Arts Festival organised the music events at the Venner Road pocket square in the summer. We're planning to stage an even bigger event next July, hopefully using the Queensthorpe pocket square also.

Look out for our brochure next May, or check our website, which will listing our full event programme from about the same time.

Pics from this year's festival, including the Street Celebration event, are here:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sydenhamartsfestival/pool

Jonathan Kaufman
Festival Director
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Regret out of town Sunday , otherwise would test it out.

Having spent the first 24 years of my life living in Venner Road always interested to see how progressing.

Sorry to see No 7 in state of disrepair. Joe and Raymond and William Shakespeare would turn in their graves.
mosy

Post by mosy »

safdirector wrote:Sydenham Arts Festival organised the music events at the Venner Road pocket square in the summer. We're planning to stage an even bigger event next July, hopefully using the Queensthorpe pocket square also.

Look out for our brochure next May, or check our website, which will listing our full event programme from about the same time.

Pics from this year's festival, including the Street Celebration event, are here:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sydenhamartsfestival/pool

Jonathan Kaufman
Festival Director
Thank you and congrats to all concerned :)
Dismayed to read that nothing more until Spring next year though *wipes away a tear*.

I understand there might be carol singers around Christmas though, so I assume the council can authorise, i.e. give permission to or allow performance arts rather than organise them, in the pockets?
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Please support the Sydenham Market today - 10am - 4pm - food plus some arts & crafts stalls, Young Mayor's Team etc on Venner Square and Station Approach.

Bunty

Post by Bunty »

Lovely muffins from Mr Muffin stall. Need more visitors to this lovely market and more variety and stalls :)

gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Bunty wrote:Lovely muffins from Mr Muffin stall. Need more visitors to this lovely market and more variety and stalls :)

Mr Muffin - take a bow. We just had the chocolate and salted caramel ones and they were fantastic. Lovely and moist and light as a feather.

Also a mention to the lady selling the vegetable tarts - these were tasty too.

All told our impromptu lunch cost £10 which, although not cheap, we don't mind doing occasionally in support of the local community.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Gilly
Sorry had to miss today.

Just one point your last line asks for support for the local community , which indeed is a noble statement. How many of the stallholders were from the locality.

I have no idea just interested to know. If answer few or none , then could be said to be taking money away from local shops to give to outsiders,
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

You may also be surprised to know that Many local shop owners don't live locally.

gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Eagle wrote:Gilly
Sorry had to miss today.

Just one point your last line asks for support for the local community , which indeed is a noble statement. How many of the stallholders were from the locality.

I have no idea just interested to know. If answer few or none , then could be said to be taking money away from local shops to give to outsiders,
Eagle – I have no idea how many of the stall holders were local but anyone prepared to hang around from 10.00am to 4.00pm on a blustery Sunday in late September, selling their wares, has my support and I’m happy to put my hand in my purse to commend their attempts to make a living. Far better to try and earn a living under one’s own steam and efforts than waiting for a government hand out or sitting on the pavement with their cap out begging. I wasn't asking for support for the local community. If they weren't local then good on them for travelling to Sydenham and trying to make a few bob.
simono

Post by simono »

Eagle I thought the whole point about this market an the other initiatives around the improvements to the high street etc was to boost the profile of the area. Surely the market does this and whether the traders we local it made Sydenham a more lively and better place to be on a Sunday morning and afternoon.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Going through the list of traders today the majority were from the locality and all registered with Lewisham Market Trading Section so they have decided to give Sydenham a go.

Our aim is to keep the food offer on Venner Square and develop Station Approach for arts & crafts, vintage etc. The young people enjoyed trading on the card stall near the Station entrance and plan to develop the space with a variety of stalls. This will be a good link with the TNG youth centre in Wells Park Road.

If anyone is interested in trading next month take a look at the SEE3 web site for an application form. We are still developing this market and welcome constructive feedback.

sarahsyd

Post by sarahsyd »

I think it's a great initiative and can only be good for Sydenham.

We weren't able to visit yesterday but have enjoyed the other markets and have always made lots of purchases. We also once had lunch sitting on the benches in Venner Square and chatted to other locals, which was lovely.

Hopefully it will also encourage more traders to open on Sunday and the increased weekend footfall may then encourage new retailers/cafés on to the High Street.

One thing - I haven't really seen the markets advertised anywhere apart from on the forum. Are any posters put up? I have recently spoken with locals who were unaware it was happening. (I have seen several posters for the Maple Road market).

Earlybird

Post by Earlybird »

It was nice to visit the market and purchase the lunch from the Burritos stall. I only learnt of the event by reading about it in this forum. Will visit every month.

Bunty

Post by Bunty »

It would be lovely if the station coffee shop could open when the market is on, lovely coffee and would persuade people down to the stalls on station approach and somewhere to sit and eat the yummy market wares :)