Girton Road Car Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
parker

Re: Girton Road Car Park

Post by parker »

Are all the people complaining on here about this neighbouring the car park?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

claharper wrote:
The police advised last night that we should no longer call them, it is a council issue. I wonder though, had it been my tax paying neighbours p with music up so loud, would they have responded to our requests to tell them to turn the music down? I think so.
Well, no, they wouldn't have because they couldn't have. As they have explained to you noise is not something the police can do anything about - they do not have any powers to deal with noise nuisance. The Local Authority has the powers and legal duty to deal with it...

I really don't understand why people insist on calling the police when it's not a police matter and get angry (Åland still call the police) when that has been explained to them! It's bizarre! Why not call the ambulance service and get angry at them when they don't come?

stuart

Post by stuart »

bensonby wrote:I really don't understand why people insist on calling the police when it's not a police matter and get angry (Åland still call the police) when that has been explained to them! It's bizarre! Why not call the ambulance service and get angry at them when they don't come?
Ambulances are there to collect bodies before they die. Its a clear situation to the caller.

The police were here to deal with crime. Simples. Well it was until a few years ago. The majority of what was crime has now been devolved to local authorities and a lot of that by them to private companies.

So its all a bit of a shambles to the average person seeing something going on and should be stopped. "Not our job" always irritates.

Stuart
parker

Post by parker »

I think what people are saying Stuart is that they think it SHOULD be a Police matter... I'm sure if the council were appointed every time there is noise pollution it would be re-directed to the Police anyway...

bensonby

Post by bensonby »

If the police are there to deal with all types of crime would it be reasonable for them to investigate breaches of H&S law, food standards, customs and excise, fire regulations and so on and so on.... I don't think it would because they aren't necessarily equipped or trained. I don't know whether noise nuisance was ever a police matter - but it certainly isn't now. Parliament has not seen fit to grant the police such powers so that can't get involved in it. It's not just a case of not wanting to. The local authority have a statutory duty to investigate and deal with noise nuisance (s.2 of the Noise Act 1996 if you are interested). If they are failing in that duty in any regard then that's a matter of complaint that should be taken up with them.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

I will ask the Council for a further update to be posted. On Tuesday the Strategic Crime Reduction Service Manager advised that we are waiting on a Court date to proceed with the eviction and will be calling bailiffs to remove the occupiers of the site under a Possession Order.

The Council is liaising with the police on a frequent basis and all thefts should be reported to the police as this is a matter for the police to investigate whilst Environmental Health are monitoring the noise nuisance. Children's Social Services are assessing the risk to the children in the car park.
ninam

Post by ninam »

I spoke to the noise team at the council who do have powers to intervene with music noise if it is a problem again. They need to send an officer to the complainant's address and get a reading of the noise level and determine if it constitutes a statutory nuisance from your house. Then they can send someone to get it turned off. Mon-thur they offer this 7pm til midnight. Call main swichboard number 02083146000. Friday -sun the service is until 3am.

stuart

Post by stuart »

parker wrote:I think what people are saying Stuart is that they think it SHOULD be a Police matter... I'm sure if the council were appointed every time there is noise pollution it would be re-directed to the Police anyway...
Did you see that recent programme on Germany? Drill a hole on a Sunday to put up a shelf and the policeman calls. Only because the offender was British and knew no better he was let off. Otherwise a fine.

Germany, on a Sunday, would appear to be a quiet place. I don't think we need go that far ...

Stuart
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I'm sure I saw catapults available to purchase somewhere in Sydenham.

and on to something completely unrelated...

There are perfectly legal ways to make someones life miserable - we often hear about nuisance neighbours.
I suspect that if the travellers had a few nights of them being disturbed by us, they might decide to leave of their own accord.

Find something that they're not happy with, and do it to your most efficient within their notice - staying within the letter of the law obviously.

I wouldn't suggest slashing tyres, as that just gives them reasons why they can't leave so easily.

i know if I was trying to sleep in a caravan I'd find it difficult if there were a loud hailstorm, for instance, or something similar landing on the caravan roof. I'd probably also find it annoying if somone had left a mirror in such a place that it directed the sun directly onto my caravan, car, windows etc. or if someone was playing music during the morning whilst I was still trying to sleep.
obviously one should always call the fire brigade if there's a fire.
HappySyd

Post by HappySyd »

The council are waiting for a court date to be set but have submitted all the necessary paperwork.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Surely a danger if the Police refuse to act on an obvious breach of the law , then possible vigilantes will.

I am NOT encouraging this and infact they are a very bad idea, but when the Police cannot or will not act , who is their to protect the residents.

These people are a pest and have already cost the Fire Brigade some funds .
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Hissing Sid

Why was this not done on Day 1. Courts should make time available as an emergency.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Eagle wrote:Surely a danger if the Police refuse to act on an obvious breach of the law , then possible vigilantes will. I am NOT encouraging this [...]
Sounds as if JRobinson is though.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Robin

I do not agree with vigilante action , but can understand peoples despair if the authorities do nothing.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Can't we look for the positives in this ?
Presumably Heather has never been easier to obtain on the High Street?
ninam

Post by ninam »

Had confirmation from the council that they lodged paperwork with courts on Tuesday to be able to move them on. This will apply to the whole space of the car park not just the extension. They do not know how long this will take as the court determines based on its timetable, but last time they did something like this it was a few days.

Once gone height restricting barriers will be going back in straight away. These were only removed because contractors had been using that area as a base for some vehicles.

The Council urge us to report noise and other environmental matters like flytipping to them and any criminal activity at all to the police who DO want to know about it. They are liaising closely with one another.
I think it is a distraction, and a pointless one to engage in blaming authorities for not acting quickly enough, they have a process to follow, and they are getting on with it. This is not private land so diffrent rights and duties apply. In the meantime report it to the right body if need be ie the Council for noise 7pm -midnight on 02083146000. My thanks to the excellent council officer I spoke with.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Thanks for very useful update .
Agree the noise nuisance people do an excellent job - we should be more appreciative of many of our excellent services . I certainly hope the court will list it as a matter or urgency .
A very good evening
Nigel

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree the noise people are normally excellent. After all the noise at the encampment why were they not prosecuted.

You should never make noise that can be heard by a neighbour.
Lewisham Comms

Post by Lewisham Comms »

I would like to reassure you that the Council is continuing with its action to evict the travellers. We lodged proceedings with the Court on Wednesday morning (30 October).

The process now is that the Court Office will place the papers in front of a Judge who should in turn order that the papers be issued as a matter of urgency so a Hearing can be scheduled. This normally takes about 5 working days.

We hope to learn of a Hearing date some time next week. In the mean time do please keep reporting any noise nuisance to the Council and any suspected criminal activity to the police.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am sure we all want to thank the council for their big efforts here. I know I struggle with why one needs a court order to remove illegal squatters from a place where they have no right to be.

Let us hope they do not decamp to Alexandra Recreation Ground.