Girton Road Car Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: Girton Road Car Park

Post by Eagle »

They would have been shifted at once if they were in a Royal Park.

How can they afford large screen TV's ?

Have they got a license for each TV ?
Toots

Post by Toots »

Could we have an update please Lewisham? What is the latest timeframe for their removal?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Alfred Adler

Post by Alfred Adler »

At least two more arrived last night.

How long would it take if they piled into a Royal Park? Of course we are mere subjects paying our council tax yet have to endure the slow process of the law.....

meanwhile the mess is getting more out of hand with each passing day.....
HappySyd

Post by HappySyd »

I have emailed the Council again this morning for an update. Waiting for a reply. The Council normally respond very quickly. As a resident on Girton Road, I would like to see this situation cleared up soon, hopefully by the weekend?
pip

Post by pip »

If they are not gone by the weekend how about a flashmob enviremental demo accompanied by the Inland revenue,
Tv licencing, police checking vehicles for road tax, mot, car insurance and bailiffs removing goods to pay for criminal damage and of course enviremental health with noise meters.

Thats me done

Have I missed anything
stuart

Post by stuart »

pip wrote:If they are not gone by the weekend how about a flashmob enviremental demo accompanied by the Inland revenue,
Tv licencing, police checking vehicles for road tax, mot, car insurance and bailiffs removing goods to pay for criminal damage and of course enviremental health with noise meters.
Think this through. They are on private land so car insurance/mot etc is irrelevant (and do we want to impound the very vehicles needed to remove the caravans). Baliffs require a court order. Do we really want to expedite this over the removal order? And, if you do manage to pin something on them - they will be gone by the time it comes to court.

Focus on the true objectives:

* Return the area to public use.
* What should be done with it then?
* Is there a way to find these people somewhere to live to avoid repetitions?

Stuart
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

TV licencing, and air polution might still be applicable though - I'm sure if the police raided the encampment they'd find evidence of some illegal activity.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

They may be on private land ( without authority) but they must have driven on the Public Road to get there.

Have the TV Licenses.

Why one rule for law abiding and another for these enterprising persons...
parker

Post by parker »

Pipa, why should 'they' be obligated to pay any taxes? ....Because the govt say so....? That's like saying we should abide by the high energy rises...!!? Oh we are aren't we... That's fine then.

JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

um, Parker... no it isn't.

we pay taxes because we live in this country and we can make use of the services offered should we feel inclined.
Those who avoid paying taxes illegally should not be given those same services for free.

we're not told by Govt to pay the high energy prices, we can chose to change our energy supplier to whoever we like.
we can't chose which taxes we do or don't pay - at least the vast majority of law abiding citizens don't chose which taxes they do or don't pay.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

stuart wrote:
pip wrote:If they are not gone by the weekend how about a flashmob enviremental demo accompanied by the Inland revenue,
Think this through. They are on private land so car insurance/mot etc is irrelevant (and do we want to impound the very vehicles needed to remove the caravans). Baliffs require a court order. Do we really want to expedite this over the removal order? And, if you do manage to pin something on them - they will be gone by the time it comes to court.

Focus on the true objectives:

* Return the area to public use.
* What should be done with it then?
* Is there a way to find these people somewhere to live to avoid repetitions?

Stuart
Car insurance is relevant: the new-ish rules on continuous insurance mean they have to be declared SORN or insured. Ad for finding them somewhere to live I think most people would be OK with this if:
1) They abide by normal planning rule fully and completely
2) Pay full market value for whatever site it is (there is a caravan site not far away they choose not to use)
3) If it's a permanent site they pay full council tax etc for the services they consume.
parker

Post by parker »

J Robinson I'd like to see what's being done by yourself to combat the rises.... Or are they acceptable to you...? If you're a 'plausible' candidate on the horizon I'd like to see you justifying your view to Anne Robinson on Watchdog, or are you an energy salesman on the Rogue Traders segment...?

Lewisham Comms

Post by Lewisham Comms »

We now have confirmation that the Possession Claim against the travellers will be heard in Court on the morning of Monday 11 November.

If successful in getting a Possession Order, we will look to transfer the matter up to the High Court for enforcement by way of a Writ of possession against the travellers by certificated bailiffs. This will probably take another couple of days but it’s a quicker means of enforcement.

We have brought proceedings in the County Court rather than a Magistrates Court as the Possession Order will be effective against anyone on the land when the Order is enforced. This means that any new arrivals will be covered by the Possession Order and we will not need to re-apply to evict any newcomers.

We really appreciate your ongoing patience on this matter and do encourage you to keep reporting any suspected criminal activity to the police and any noise nuisance to the Council: http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/e ... fault.aspx
ninam

Post by ninam »

Good news, thanks. I look forward to this happening.

bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Alfred Adler wrote:At least two more arrived last night.

How long would it take if they piled into a Royal Park? Of course we are mere subjects paying our council tax yet have to endure the slow process of the law.....

meanwhile the mess is getting more out of hand with each passing day.....

Of course it would be quicker if they did it in a Royal Park: because it would be a breach of Bylaws! Just as if they did it in a station car park... Which also have bylaws.

If it is not in a specific location that is covered by bylaws then it is a civil matter for the landowner to take action - just the council is doing. Think about the grief and time it took to evict the protesters from Parliament Square....the status and profile of the location is irrelevant. No class war conspiracy here...sorry!

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I still think The Police should pay a visit to check road and tv licensing etc and also to check for dubious articles.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Parker, I am trying to use less energy. If I had the spare money, and my wife agreed, I'd be putting in solar PV panels, a ground source heat pump, water butts off the down pipes, and extra insulation around the entire house. I would also switch to a greener alternative energy supplier, but they're all more expensive (so my wife tells me), it would appear that the big 6 are all the cheapest, and prices are high across the board, so the only thing is to use energy more efficiently, use less energy, or create your own - all of which I plan to do.

anyway - that's off topic from Girton Road car park, where there would appear to be very little environmental concern amongst the current residents.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I would imagine our esteemed new friends are very green. Surely they have been seen sifting there rubbish into various boxes.

They are a positive delight to the neighbours and anyone trying to sell a house in Girton or Tannsfeld must be praying they stay longer.

Guess they are also bringing trade to the restaurants in the High Street.

God Bless Them
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:They would have been shifted at once if they were in a Royal Park.

How can they afford large screen TV's ?

Have they got a license for each TV ?
What has this to do with anyone?

Have you got a tv licence?
How can you afford your tv?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

MWAV

Yes and Yes

Because I worked in a legitimate business for 43 years.