Girton Road Car Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
MissBee

Girton Road Car Park

Post by MissBee »

A convoy of travellers, all pulling large caravans, set up camp in the Girton Road carpark yesterday. I watched them all file in one after the other...Must've counted 20 or so :shock:
Having only lived in the area for 6mths, I'm interested to know if anyone is aware of this being an issue before?
I don't imagine the businesses on Sydenham Road will put up with this, Lidl, etc.
Police and council have been informed.
Eagle

Re: Girton Road Car Park

Post by Eagle »

I am horrified . Shoplifting will go through the roof.

How do these people get away with it.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I've been here 3 years and haven't heard of this before in Girton road car park, however there was a large traveller community in Crystal Palace park at one point.

lets hope they get moved on quickly, as the mess they generally leave behind costs the council a fortune to clear up, and whilst they're here, they are antisocial.
ninam

Post by ninam »

I rang Lewisham first thing. I also saw the Council are supposed to be developing a traveller and gypsy Local Plan, and were supposed to be consulting over the summer on a location for a permanent site for around 5 fixed pitches, but it doesn't look like that has happened. Looks like other parts of Lewisham have not worked out and there is currently no site in Lewisham, though neighbouring boroughs have some pitches.

Have lived here for 8 years and it has never been an issue before.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
pip

Post by pip »

TheTravellers took over the Golden Lion car park over 5 years ago and it took about 6 weeks to legally get them removed. Going back a bit further than that they took over the Girton Road car park when the Co op car park was Safeway.
Apparently if they turn up on public land the Police can move them on straight away or arrest them. If they turn up on private land you have to apply for a court injunction to get them removed which can be a lengthy process. I think I will pitch my tent on an MPs lawn and see what happens.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Has anyone actually been to the car park today? If so, can they give us a report on what's actually happening? Is the car park still useable by shoppers? When can we expect to know how the council (who I assume are in the hot seat on this, rather than the police) are going to react?
ninam

Post by ninam »

The main car park is still accessible. They are in the overflow section where I think the boot fair takes place. When I spoke to the council this morning they were going to send someone to investigate, but I don't know what happened. I assume this is council land, rather than private. To be fair there have been no problems as such yet, but I hope this is a temporary situation nonetheless.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please do not divert this thread into discussions on immigrants, benefits and the like. I have moved those posts to the Town Benefit Office (again).

Admin
Alfred Adler

Post by Alfred Adler »

Yes they are in overflow car park, dogs and kids running around. One caravan has what looks like a 42 inch widescreen tv in it.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

God Forbid.

I hope this is not going to take as long as the recent example in Essex.
Alfred Adler

Post by Alfred Adler »

No, surely not, can't be compared to the Essex situation as its a much smaller number of caravans and they can only ever see a car park like this as only ever a short term measure?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Alfred
Why would they believe this is a short term measure. They know it takes weeks to even get a legal document to ask them to move, then months of objections etc.

What is the betting they are there in 12 months.

I really feel sorry for the restaurants in the vicinity.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I think, although I can't be certain, that they were visited by a representative from the council and served with a notice to leave yesterday at about midday.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Alfred Adler wrote:Yes they are in overflow car park, dogs and kids running around. One caravan has what looks like a 42 inch widescreen tv in it.
How terrible, do you think they sleep standing up as well. I wonder where they get their water from?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I trust they pick up their doggie poo.

Standards are so important.
parklife

Post by parklife »

Anyone have an update ?

Are they still there ?
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Eagle wrote:I trust they pick up their doggie poo.

Standards are so important.
What about their own Poo!!
I would not only be concerned about shoplifting, begging and general nuisance but also local burglary and possible increase in drug traffic.
We may see an increase in suspicious vans trawling the local roads to pinch your wrought iron gates.
Am I being paranoid?

bensonby

Post by bensonby »

"some black people have recently moved into my neighbourhood. I'm worried about an increase in crime."

That's an unacceptable statement to make. Clearly. Why is it acceptable to ask the same about Irish Travellers?

Queries about sewerage. Fine. (I'm actually interested too know its been pointed out.) Racism not so much.

Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Mt comments have to do with racism. I did not refer to any ethnicity in my post. I make my statements based on the fact that these issues can follow and increase around travellers encampments or any gathering of people squatting on private property. I have friends who have experienced such behaviour.
The same type of thing applied to those squatting around St. Paul's or Parliament Square...subsequently removed.

Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Typo in my post...I meant " nothing to do with racism".
If you knew me, you would know that my extended family includes someone from every continent except Antartica, of every shade of skin, and just about every mainstream religion. It's like the United Nations so please stop being sooooooooo sensitive.