Sydenham house prices up by 50k?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: Sydenham house prices up by 50k?

Post by Eagle »

I remember when East Dulwich was indeed nothing to write home about . How times change places.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

The housing market from my recent involvement in attempting to become a first time buyer is indeed absolutely mental.
Lots of places going for way over asking price cos of bidding wars and having to essentially put an offer in on a place after seeing it just the once and not having time to think about it/go back for a second look etc...
However I still think that a few decently, appropriately priced places pop on every so often but just depends on what type of property you are looking for (i.e. period or not bothered) and the necessary requirements for sizes of rooms etc
This place looks pretty decent!:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... Email=true

But yeah, from my brief experience. Mental and exceptionally stressful. Boooooooooooooooooooooooo.
marymck

Post by marymck »

deleted - because even posting something as innocent as that seems to put me in Tim Lund's gun sights.
Last edited by marymck on 29 Jan 2014 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Nice one Mary.

Maybe one of Sydenham 's finest roads , but hardly a premier property.
marymck

Post by marymck »

deleted
Last edited by marymck on 29 Jan 2014 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

marymck wrote:Oh I'm all for an alternative history . I think it's just what we need to put sydenham on the tourist trail. That and a hotel.
Is this a veiled allusion to the role of the orignal Crystal Palace in putting Sydenham on the Victorian the tourist trail, and so tacit support for the current proposal to rebuild it? If so, all I ask is that the supply of housing locally can also expand, to prevent the area becoming as out of reach of ordinary people as so many other parts of London.
stuart

Post by stuart »

marymck wrote:Oh I'm all for an alternative history . I think it's just what we need to put sydenham on the tourist trail. That and a hotel.
We already have one :oops: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=se26+6 ... 3,,0,-2.39

Stuart
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Tim

I do appreciate your concern for the homeless etc , but where exactly would you put these extra units in SE26.

Seems to me that with the mammoth developments in Lower Sydenham and Greyhound City , Sydenham has done more than its share.

What is yr problem with Syd and his brother Viet ??
stuart

Post by stuart »

Eagle wrote:I do appreciate your concern for the homeless etc , but where exactly would you put these extra units in SE26.
How about starting with Girton Road lower car park? It is under used and would help solve your gypsy problem. Handy for the High Street increasing footfall.

Stuart
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Stuart

Would you want to live there ? We probably need car park in High Street , otherwise even more people will desert the High Street for the monstrosity at Bell Green.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Eagle wrote:Would you want to live there ? We probably need car park in High Street , otherwise even more people will desert the High Street for the monstrosity at Bell Green.
No I would not. But I know plenty of people in evil one bed flats who would see a decent two bed unit there as heaven (even without car parking).

Having said that I have never had to park in the lower car park and have seen very few cars using it. That's possibly why it is popular for car boot sales. But then surely housing should take precedence?

Eagle, if you lived there walking to the Co-op or even Tescos is going to be preferable to motoring down to Bell Green. That's the point - local shopping centres depend on local people not to people commuting in by car from elsewhere. Increasing local population density is probably the shop owners best bet. They aren't competing with Westfield or Hypermarkets. Indeed the proliferation of Tesco/Sainsbury Locals shows a trend back to the High Street. Except much of the high street is not raising its game and letting the true professional retailers scoop the trade.

Stuart
marymck

Post by marymck »

Tim Lund wrote:
Is this a veiled allusion to the role of the orignal Crystal Palace in putting Sydenham on the Victorian the tourist trail, and so tacit support for the current proposal to rebuild it? If so, all I ask is that the supply of housing locally can also expand, to prevent the area becoming as out of reach of ordinary people as so many other parts of London.
No it isn't. I made a light hearted comment about an estate agent's muddling Pissarro with Pizarro. I have been purposely avoiding setting myself up as a target for your war of attrition and I don't intend to start now. I am therefore deleting my posts. I'm leaving this one up, purely for explanation.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

marymck wrote:
Tim Lund wrote:
No it isn't. I made a light hearted comment about an estate agent's muddling Pissarro with Pizarro. I have been purposely avoiding setting myself up as a target for your war of attrition and I don't intend to start now. I am therefore deleting my posts. I'm leaving this one up, purely for explanation.
So it's OK to mock someone else for getting some names mixed up, but when I link your reference to wanting Sydenham to be on the tourist trail to something which did do that, and could again, you have a hissy fit?

If you're in the business of deleting your old posts, can I ask Admin to do some quick archiving, so that we don't lose the evidence of your obsessive quest to undermine a grassroots initiative of local traders to revitalise their area?
marymck wrote:I don't like anything fake and I won't buy anything fake (apart from fur!) unless it's really upfront and says it's fake and hence ironic.

So jotbot please can you post on here what you want people to do who don't like the fake but want to support any real initiatives.

I wish you well - I really do - but please don't turn against local people who loathe the estate-agent-speak name "Kirkdale Village"
Source here
michael

Post by michael »

When Tim dislikes somebody he really won't quit.

I certainly think that claiming MaryMcK has an "obsessive quest to undermine a grassroots initiative" is a completely unreasonable misinterpretation of what she said (two years ago!)
However I'm glad that Tim is opposing those with an "obsessive quest to undermine a grassroots initiative". Or am I missing the irony?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear friends,

Town Hall is a place of love - of Sydenham and respect for each other. Can we lighten up a bit and stop giving offence or taking it. There is a splendid place for that not very far away. No, not Penge, but Town Pub where the sawdust has been carefully prepared and the resident bouncers are looking for a bit of action.

TIA
Admin
marymck

Post by marymck »

I don't know what happened here, but the following is actually a quote from Tim, so I edited to try to make that clearer, but I don't think it worked.

Tim wrote ...

"So it's OK to mock someone else for getting some names mixed up, but when I link your reference to wanting Sydenham to be on the tourist trail to something which did do that, and could again, you have a hissy fit?

If you're in the business of deleting your old posts, can I ask Admin to do some quick archiving, so that we don't lose the evidence of your obsessive quest to undermine a grassroots initiative of local traders to revitalise their area?
marymck wrote:I don't like anything fake and I won't buy anything fake (apart from fur!) unless it's really upfront and says it's fake and hence ironic.

So jotbot please can you post on here what you want people to do who don't like the fake but want to support any real initiatives.

I wish you well - I really do - but please don't turn against local people who loathe the estate-agent-speak name "Kirkdale Village"
Source here[/quote]

Yes Michael - when Tim dislikes someone he stalks them to the extent of digging up posts from 2011! And completely misinterpreting them and using them out of context too. Extraordinary.

And I wasn't mocking BTW, I quite liked the idea of Pizarro stopping off en route to massacre the Incas in order to do a spot of painting in sydenham . Nor was I having a "hissy fit". :roll:
Last edited by marymck on 29 Jan 2014 20:21, edited 3 times in total.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Peace be with all on the Forum

Mary certain posters , with obviously nothing much to do , often dredge up quotes from me from long ago , often completely out of context.

I am sure Tim does not mean to cause upset.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Eagle wrote:Peace be with all on the Forum

Mary certain posters , with obviously nothing much to do , often dredge up quotes from me from long ago , often completely out of context.

I am sure Tim does not mean to cause upset.
Oh sadly Eagle, I'm quite sure he does. He knows this kind of stalking upsets me. That's why he does it.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I wonder whether Tim and Mary realise how painful and embarrassing it is to the rest of us to have to read all this unpleasantness?