Talma Closing?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
NawhalPA

Talma Closing?

Post by NawhalPA »

I just saw The Talma on Wells Park Road has large signs up saying it is protected by Live-In Guardians. Does this mean it is closing/closed? It certainly looks shut up. I've only just moved into the estate behind, but with the news on The Windmill, and The Greyhound I've been picking up on this site, it seems like someone has it in for Pubs round here. A sad trend if so.
parker

Re: Talma Closing?

Post by parker »

Yep, The Talma closed 3 weeks ago... It was a bit of a hole anyway, wasn't making money...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

The very few regulars have decamped to Fox's
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Never has been a nice pub , but trouble is the regulars decamp elsewhere.

Used to be another pub Duke of Edinburgh opposite. This area now lost Woodman and Talma and Duke. In doubt Windmill. Left Fox and Hounds and Bricklayers Arms.

Surely all the more reason to retain The Windmill.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Eagle wrote:Never has been a nice pub [...]
We had a very pleasant evening there a few months ago celebrating a friend's birthday.

According to John Coulter's 'Sydenham and Forest Hill Past', p. 123, in the nineteenth century it and the Golden Lion 'contributed to Sydenham's amusement with music hall performances.'

Apart from anything else, losing the name (must be unique for a pub?) will be sad. Does anyone know its origin?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It would be interesting to know the origin of the name. When I said never a nice pub probably a bit extreme statement as only ever been in there once , about 45 years ago. Going by reputation and from punters one sees outside when passing.

Maybe LBL will not give permission for the use to be changed.
marymck

Post by marymck »

It has really beautiful woodwork in the bar. It's named for francois Joseph Talma, a famous French actor. Talma literally wrote the book on naturalistiic acting.

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I see from Wikipaedia that, although Talma spent at any rate part of his childhood in London, he was born, had his career and died (in 1826) in Paris. I wonder how a (presumably) Victorian pub in Sydenham came to be named after him?
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

at some point in the past the Landlord was a Yorkshire man, who didn't like the previous name, and wanted it changed in honour of his dearly beloved mother Alma - the signwritter being a cockney didn't understand the northern mans verbal instructions and we ended up with "Talma", and not The Alma *

*Eee lad, Ekithump - jus call it t' Alma
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

JRobinson wrote:at some point in the past the Landlord was a Yorkshire man, who didn't like the previous name, and wanted it changed in honour of his dearly beloved mother Alma - the signwritter being a cockney didn't understand the northern mans verbal instructions and we ended up with "Talma", and not The Alma *

*Eee lad, Ekithump - jus call it t' Alma
In that case, the landlord didn't brief the pub signwriter very well. I seem to recall the sign depicts (or depicted) a man, wearing, I think, a laurel wreath.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

No that was the first recorded selfie - the landlord painted the pub sign, but was also dislexic so didn't do the writing. A play on words, his mother's name was Alma L'orel - she married a Frenchman.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Ah, I see. Got it now.
marymck

Post by marymck »

As well as a natural style of acting, one of Talma's innovations was the use of costume appropriate to the period of the play. He played a lot of Shakespearean and "toga" roles.

NawhalPA

Post by NawhalPA »

Speaking of acting... This morning I walked past The Talma, now christened The Saint George, complete with fake pub sign and St. George's flags, and a film crew. It certainly looked a bit more impressive than an art school project (at least 6 people) and a boom mic, but sadly no catering truck or leading actress caravan. So, who knows how long this new reincarnation will last. If I had to bet I would say it was more likely to be a backdrop for a Carling advert than a new Mike Leigh. Any one got any other goss on this one? https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?pid= ... 3179134172
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Not certain - but I think there might be people living there as 'Guardians' against squatters. I saw some signs yesterday being taken down suggesting this - as the St George signs went up.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

I'll see if I can find anything out as I have to go to the TNG place today.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

They are definitely filming inside. Security has walkie talkies and the Coombe road door has a security lock/buzzer doodah thingy whatever they are called :lol: I saw - very briefly - a scene with about 5 or 6 blokes holding pint glasses. Looks like it might be one of those footie hooligan/gritty London films/dramas.

I would imagine catering is upstairs on the first floor.