Wimpy gone

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
southernmoose

Wimpy gone

Post by southernmoose »

I spotted the 'Wimpy closed down' sign outside the shop on Sydenham Road this morning. Does any-one have any news on what's going in instead?
leenewham

Re: Wimpy gone

Post by leenewham »

It's going to be a paddy power (or similar). Notices are up on the lamppost across the road.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

What a joke, really starting to lose interest in SE26 at the moment. Was walking down the highstreet last night thinking how covered in cr*p the new payments already look. Not just chewing gum but big gluey stains everywhere. The old pavements seemed to hide the dirt much better. Hopefully they'll be a regular cleaning contract.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Do u not need special permission to change an eating emporium to a place where most people lose money.

Shame. Seem to recall it has been there decades.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I'm sure there was another thread about this recently. I think it was very hard to oppose the opening of a Paddy Power because of rules and regs.

Real shame as could have been a nice restaurant or something.

I'm so fed up of places opening with no vision. Like that shoe and luggage shop on the road.

G-Man
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

and also the cherry and ice place. It could be really good but for whatever reason it just appears a bit budget.
michael

Post by michael »

G-Man wrote:I'm sure there was another thread about this recently. I think it was very hard to oppose the opening of a Paddy Power because of rules and regs.
http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... mpy#p82989
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Paddy Power like Wonga. Take from poor to give to rich.

Only PP have not got Doris and Earl etc etc
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Whitoff, I agree with you regarding pavements. The pocket parks are good, but the choice of material in Sydenham is a little baffling. Paving doesn't stay looking nice for long, although I've said this on here before. Look at Walworth!

The real change in Sydenham will come from new, vibrant, exciting business starting up in the high street. Some are coming, but I understand yet another convenience store is opening in the old flower shop opposite the Dolphin and the Wimpy will become a betting shop.

SEE3 is the most important thing to happen in Sydenham, and I think overall it's been a really great scheme. But it needs to deliver long term change, sustainable business to the high street and that is incredibly difficult to do, despite the huge efforts by all.

Forest Hill achieved far more without SEE3 and I think it's worth looking at why this happened. I'd love to know what the rates and rent are in Dartmouth Road as opposed to Sydenham Road. As the units are generally smaller, I'd guess that they are a lot less, they cost less to heat, less to fit out, signage is less and many had nice shop fronts that just needed paint.

And they have the pools, which looks great and the Horniman which brings families to the area from across London. Their footfall isn't just people wanting to get to work or get home. That's a HUGE difference.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Whiftoff wrote:and also the cherry and ice place. It could be really good but for whatever reason it just appears a bit budget.
Have you ever been in? It may look budget but it's really nice. Staff are friendly, food is tasty. I've been back a few times...
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

yeah i've been in a few times but not since they've changed the layout. Everytime I walk past after work its empty. I just feel like its lacking a bit of atmosphere for whatever reason, possibly the lighting or decor

I go here quite a lot in Camberwell. Its not plush with an expensive fit out but its great little cafe and always buzzing. I would make a point of using place like this in Sydenham on a regular basis.

http://www.lovewalkcafe.co.uk/camberwel ... llery.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserRe ... ml#REVIEWS
parker

Post by parker »

I could CRY I'm so fuming hearing this........

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Whiftoff wrote:yeah i've been in a few times but not since they've changed the layout. Everytime I walk past after work its empty. I just feel like its lacking a bit of atmosphere for whatever reason, possibly the lighting or decor

I go here quite a lot in Camberwell. Its not plush with an expensive fit out but its great little cafe and always buzzing. I would make a point of using place like this in Sydenham on a regular basis.

http://www.lovewalkcafe.co.uk/camberwel ... llery.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserRe ... ml#REVIEWS
Looks nice. I think Cherry and Ice are retaining that "Pop Up"/SEE3 look. Personally I quite like that. I must get home at a different time as I make a point of seeing if there are people in there as I want them to survive (I really like their waffles) and I rarely see it empty. Last time I was in they ran out of tables...
chrism

Post by chrism »

In other high street news, I see there's a Spanish-Polish deli opening up in the old flower shop next to Lidl.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

chrism wrote:In other high street news, I see there's a Spanish-Polish deli opening up in the old flower shop next to Lidl.

That sounds good! Whey are they open?
chrism

Post by chrism »

No idea but it was being fitted out yesterday. New sign out front. We shall see....
Eagle

Re: Wimpy gone RIP

Post by Eagle »

What has all this to do with Wimpy , which has served us for decades.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Eagle wrote:What has all this to do with Wimpy , which has served us for decades.
Nothing. I well remember 50 years ago how the Haven Green Wimpy was the hangout of (very limited) choice for the youth of Ealing. Every night it was packed with chattering teenagers (including me), and the street outside was packed with scooters (including mine) and motorbikes.

I mention this because, if the Sydenham Road Wimpy had same sort of clientèle, it would certainly still be in business. It would also probably not be popular with some of those who want a more up-market High Street. I would be in the 'reluctant tolerance' class. What a difference 50 years can make!

Regards
Chris
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

chrisj1948 wrote:
Eagle wrote:What has all this to do with Wimpy , which has served us for decades.
Nothing. I well remember 50 years ago how the Haven Green Wimpy was the hangout of (very limited) choice for the youth of Ealing. Every night it was packed with chattering teenagers (including me), and the street outside was packed with scooters (including mine) and motorbikes.

I mention this because, if the Sydenham Road Wimpy had same sort of clientèle, it would certainly still be in business. It would also probably not be popular with some of those who want a more up-market High Street. I would be in the 'reluctant tolerance' class. What a difference 50 years can make!

Regards
Chris
From my limited observations today's youth prefer the nasty looking fried chicken shops.
Colonel Abrams

Post by Colonel Abrams »

Paddy Power would be a big disappointment.

FOBTs are a scourge on the high street and an evil invention, the crack cocaine of gambling. :(