Microbrewery - tomorrow, one night only!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Microbrewery - tomorrow, one night only!

Post by Tim Lund »

Late Knights, Penge’s own microbrewery, will be at Alexandra Nurseries this Saturday 21st December from 10.00 - 5.30 selling their award winning real ales in bottles, carry-outs and straight from the cask.
Also on sale: Organic burgers, mulled wine, mince pies and hot soup.

Should be good for some last minute Christmas presents :)
JMLF

Re: Microbrewery - tomorrow, one night only!

Post by JMLF »

I've been to beer rebellion opposite gypsy hill station (their first pop-up/now permanent I think small pub) and the ales and feel for the place are first class. Well worth a visit to this one night only thing and/or the pub.
Be worth having a word in their ear and ask about opening another one round Sydenham way ;)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

The Late Knights beers are great and now served as a regular beers at The good old Moon and Stars.

The brewery is in the old candle warehouse
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

No questioning Eagle's taste in beer here. I went hoping to pick up some bottles for Christmas presents, but by 4.30 they had long sold out. But the pale ale on draught was excellent. Really nice also to meet three STF posters - two I'd not known face to face before.

There certainly was some discussion about bringing it to Sydenham, and one of the posters saying he'd be interested in doing so. Just over the road there was, of course, the boarded up Alexandra, and on the way, I'd walked past the Kent House Tavern, also boarded up, so you can imagine I was urging caution, the need for flexibility and market testing. Which is exactly what this was. On a fairly wet, miserable day, enough people had come out that they had sold way more than they expected; maybe the next step for Alexandra Nurseries is one evening a week over summer. What a fantastic location that would be for some long light relaxing evenings!

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to Gipsy Hill to buy some more, as originally intended :)
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Good to meet you Tim. I had a couple of pints just before closing. They'd sold out of 8 crates of bottled beer by then which is pretty good going. Still hoping they open a permanent place in Penge - keep it small, low overheads and they'll do well.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

BJ.

They have a brewery tap in penge . The Moon and Stars manager advises they are the only local which will stock their beers on a regular basis.

They have about 5 and the M and S usually has 2 or 3 on at any one time.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

And this morning, I just happened to get to 'Beer Rebellion' opposite Gypsy Hill Station as one of the managers, Amanda, arrived, so got five bottles. Also really interesting conversation with Amanda, which as you can imagine with me got on to the matter of supermarkets taking over existing licensed premises, housing, etc.

I know it will seem to Nigel like my monomania, but these issues really all are inter-related ... but let's carry on such discussions on another thread. Here perhaps more on how we get something like this

by next Christmas in Sydenham?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Tim
If you want bottles surely nearer to knock on the brewery door ( in working hours ).

If they are eventually served in Sydenham I hope at smarter premises than one photographed by you.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Sorry if the photos doesn't impress - it had a really nice unpretentious feel inside. The location, just opposite a railway station, was perfect, and I would assume a shop previously not licensed premises. There was also another pub nearby, unboarded up.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Tim , I know it is in Traveller's Hill ( not allowed by admin to use old name ).

It is a great pity no great pubs in Sydenham but on Sydenham's borders many decent real ale establishments.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Beer Rebellion is indeed a lovely little place to drink, especially the downstairs granny living room and hidden small outdoor quarters.
On my last visit, whilst propping up the bar and having a good old chinwag with the staff seemed to indicate (as well as some of the "decor" downstairs" that it used to be an old style cafe/possibly deli and although on short-term lease which as of a few months back they were hoping to extend and become more permanent they told me they had a back-up plan of a recently closed bookies only a few doors up on the same road. So suffice to say they have been interested in getting a small (and potentially more in the near future fingers crossed), previously unlicensed premises.
A mix of not knowing Sydenham too well and being slightly biased as touch wood moving towards kirkdale shops, but one of those type of smaller shops would seem ideal/similar to beer rebellion - only reason I mention i actually is cos I popped in to Aga's little cafe pop-up last weekend and once the downstairs is cleared up it wouldn't be too dissimilar from the layout of beer rebellion if a little smaller so perhaps others near have similar style layouts.

Anyways, wishful thinking I guess tho think something like that would do well anywhere in sydenham from all the forum chat.

Jon
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

PS: The Dulwich Woodhouse appears to be the closest recommended pub by the good beer guide - not a pub which has cropped up on my travels round the forum yet.. any good?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

jm

Yes DW is in the GBG .

Not a shade to the pub before the 80's , when lovely atmosphere and good Wandsworth Youngs. Now mainly Bedford Young's ( Ouse water not the same as Wandle ), and some guests. Very expensive food .

Surprised in GBG to be honest , but little competition in SE 26.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Eagle's talking out of his bahookie. The Beer Rebellion is a fantastic place and the pokiness is part of the appeal. They usually have eight draught ales on, served the customer side of the bar and the bar staff's knowledge and friendliness is second to none.

I've had LK beers in the M&S many times, Tim, and they serve it well (and cheap, obviously!). Would still like to see a Beer Rebellion type place in Penge too.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Oh and Beer Rebellion are taking over the lease of the G*psy Hill bookies so are moving next door some time soon.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

BJ

I do not think I said I had been in the establishment in Traveller's Hill. Just did not look impressive in Tim's picture.

I know from a friend who has been their that it is indeed very good.

Yes serve most beers well in Moon and Stars.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

It's ok, I'm only joshing. It's basically a very small, former Italian restaurant, and the layout inside matches that of such an establishment.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Gutted I missed this. They make some great beers and should be championed in our local areas. It's a shame most of the pubs are tied in Sydenham. Let's hope the new Greyhound is able to stock them.

It would be wonderful if they thought about an empty shop in Sydenham. I'm sure there are some great spaces that could be used as a pop up bar.

G-Man
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

G-man - Precisely what I was thinking about with respect to one of the shops in Kirkdale

Bovinejuice - "Bahookie" is a word that I shall go forth and use as regularly as possible.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

looks like Late Knights & Alexandra Nurseries will be at it again this saturday 15th Feb!

https://twitter.com/AlexNurseries/statu ... 85/photo/1