Cricket match versus The Dolphin!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
nasaroc

Cricket match versus The Dolphin!

Post by nasaroc »

Fancy a cricket game against The Dolphin?

I am getting a team together made up of Sydenham Town entusiasts/Dolphin customers to play The Dolphin at The Bridge in early July.

You do not need to be an expert at cricket - although it would help if you are reasonably athletic. The sides will be mixed (male and female) and I'm happy to say that I have already obtained the services of local marathon hero Juwlz. Sydenham Boy and Ken - you'll play won't you?

Just think of the respect you'll get from Dan and the other Australian staff after a game like this!

Any volunteers please let me know.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I am looking forward to it!

This is despite the fact that all I know about about cricket is that its a bit like rounders.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

As you'll see from the above posting from Juwlz, the entry point for players has been set at an incredibly low level! I'm now accepting anyone who can fulfil one of the following criteria:

a. Has heard of Freddy Flintoff.
b. Can walk from their home to Sydenham station unaided.
c. Can give us a credible explanation of what "those red girders" in The Dolphin garden are all about.

I've already got seven players plus a scorer and umpire of impecccable credentials.

Come on the rest of you! PM me if you are available first two weeks in July.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Count me in.
Haven't smelt leather on willow for a long time.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

nasaroc wrote: PM me if you are available first two weeks in July.
Bloody hell that is going to be some game ..............even test matches don't last more than 5 days. :lol: :lol:
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Eagle - It's going to take that long for me to do up my laces!

Well done SB - that brings us to eight and I've just been told by Dan, The Dolphin manager, that there's a Dartmouth Arms customer who wants to play (he's Australian and he lives in FH - still, I suppose we'd better let him into the side).

One or two of the team have asked me to arrange some nets (Juwlz - we aren't going fishing). I'll firm up a date for the match and a possible practice session in the next few days.
simono

Post by simono »

I would be up for this. Used to keep wicket in my youth!
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Excellent Simono! I think we've got a team!

I'm booking the Sydenham Sports Club ground (it's a really nice ground just off Kent House Lane, close to Clarkes Coaches Depot). You can walk there in ten minutes from The Dolphin. Talked to the groundsman last night down there.

Just waiting to confirm a date with Michael at The Dolphin.
kiwi in sydenham

Post by kiwi in sydenham »

iwould be keen im always up for beating the aussies!!!
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

nasaroc - haha re the nets!
(Er... seriously though- what are the nets for?)
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Juwlz - we'll be expected to do a certain amount of sledging during this game, so bring along some warm winter clothing.

You’re on Kiwi in Sydenham – always glad to have someone who is willing to do down the Aussies!

OK – the game is on Monday 9th July at the Sydenham Cricket Club. Meet up at The Dolphin at 6pm (if a few of us bring cars we can transport both teams down to the ground in minutes). Sorry about the early start but the groundsman has warned me that unless we get underway before 6.30pm there just isn’t enough light to complete 15-20 overs per side.

To get to the ground, turn right at the traffic lights just downhill from The Dolphin and you’re in Kent House Road. 300 metres down that road, turn left at the mini-roundabout into Kent House Lane. After about 100 metres look out for a small lane on the right. The ground is about 50 metres down the lane. The club will provide a bar on the day.

When I return from holiday in two weeks, I will arrange a time for joint nets for both teams and let you have more details.

Can’t wait!! Come on Sydenham Town!!
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

nasaroc

Great 9th July fine.

I (obviously) haven't got the cricket gear - so apart from the hair net and woollies, what do you recommend I wear?
simono

Post by simono »

It is in the diary! I was having a turn out the other day and found my box! I kept it so it must have been an omen.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Please Juwlz - do not ask what the box is for!! If you've got to ask, you won't want to hear the answer!! :oops:
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

gillyjp
Well I think simono's got it wrong. When went to my nearest sports shop and asked for a box they told me you don't need one. And they seemed to be laughing.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

OK - all you cricket players - The Sydenham Cricket ground in Kent House Lane is booked for Monday's game.

On Thursday I am hoping that as many of you as possible will come to a nets session at The Bridge - Kangley Bridge Road this Thursday evening between 6.45pm and 7.45pm. Meet at The Dolphin at 6.15.

I will be e mailing or PMing each of you to check your availability.

The Dolphin/Dartmouth Arms team are full of "well, we don't know whether we've got enough players" and "two of our star players (which ones?!) aren't available" - but my spies tell me they've had two training sessions in the last week.

Hope to see you on Thursday. Webmaster - will you be putting in an appearance?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nasaroc wrote:Hope to see you on Thursday. Webmaster - will you be putting in an appearance?
Wot! Miss a chance to score with Pat Trembath?

Admin
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Definitely a case of leg before wicket, I'd say.

Here is the team:

Dan
Richard
Sydenham Boy
Sydenham even younger boy
Juwlz
Steve
Alistair
Simon
Kiwi
Ken
Barry

Hope I haven't left anyone out - please let me know if I have; there's still a chance for at least one person to take part, since Sydenhamevenyoungerboy is a very moveable part, if you see what I mean!

I've emailed or PM'd you all with the following message:

Dear Team member

Cricket Match v Dolphin/Dartmouth Arms Monday 9th July

The game is at Sydenham Cricket Club off Kent House Lane starting at 6.15pm. Meet at The Dolphin at 5.45pm- 6pm. To get to the ground, go down Sydenham Road past the Dolphin to your left and turn right at the first set of traffic lights into Kent House Road. 200m along Kent House road turn left at a mini-roundabout into Kent House Lane. Look out for a lane (Cricket Lane) on the right after about 100m. Club is at end of lane.
Bring your cars and we can give lifts to the ground.

Nets on Thursday 5th at The Bridge, Kangley Bridge Road at 6.45pm.
You can make your own way down there (pitch to the left of the Sports Centre) or meet at The Dolphin at 6.30pm.

Please let me know if you can’t make these dates.

Barry Milton 020 8778 6914 barrymilton@myriadbooks.co.uk
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

admin wrote:
nasaroc wrote:Hope to see you on Thursday. Webmaster - will you be putting in an appearance?
Wot! Miss a chance to score with Pat Trembath?

Admin
Or bowl a Maiden Over
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Is the practice happening regardless of how hard its raining?