Pavilion closed

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
KEVD

Pavilion closed

Post by KEVD »

Walked past the Pavillion tonight and noticed it was closed again. Does anybody know why as no notice on the window?
parker

Re: Pavilion closed

Post by parker »

What is the Pavillion?
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

The pub that was called the Railway for years before it got revamped last year. Near Sydenham station.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes always puzzled why is changed its name. Being next to the railway seemed good choice.

Used to be real dump but have not been in it for 45 years so may have changed.

Perhaps it is closed in sympathy with The Greyhound.
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

There's a review of license notice on the door which has been lodged by the police on the grounds of "serious crime"
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Yes - and the license review application was dated 31st December 2013 so looks like it was submitted after whatever it was that caused the pub to close its doors.

I'm sure there's an interesting but ultimately depressing story behind this - shame for those who were planning to celebrate the New Year there, if any. I wonder if the proprietors had planned a party and had taken deposits for tickets - will those who had bought get their money back?

James.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Yes. I noticed this yesterday. Very sad. I hope no one came to any harm. I do hope if the license is revoked the pub co either sell it or lease it to someone who can turn it around. As long as it stays as a pub that's the most important thing.

G-man
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

That could be a great little bar like The Dartmouth … same kind of size/lay-out. We need another decent bar up this end of the high street (Dolphin doing very well it seems down the other end) … the Dolphin has really grown on me over the years.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I agree. Someone really needs to see the potential. Something Sydenham somehow lacks. Investors must see how well the Dolphin is doing though...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What is it about the Pubs in Sydenham. If you count Woodhouse then two decent pubs for a large population.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

The Golden Lion is a lovely pub but it always seems empty and the landlord is not exactly a ray of sunshine. Blues on a Friday night was an attraction but that seems to have gone to Crystal Palace. Can't say a Rod Stewart tribute act does it for me. I have found the quality of the beer variable, but when it's good it's fine- Harvey's and Courage Best a couple of days ago were both tiptop. If he did a decent session beer like the Albert does at under three quid a pint I'd be in there every week.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I stopped going to the Golden Lion as the beer was so badly kept. That was some time ago though. Always too warm and sour tasting. I think Rebecca who ran the blues club moved to the Grape and Grain. I have a feeling, from posts I saw on other social networks, that her efforts were never really appreciated at the Golden Lion. Now she's appreciated for what she does for the South London Blues scene. Such a shame it moved up the hill though.

James at the Dolphin on the other hand really does know how to look after his beer.

I do, as I've said on many other threads, think Sydenham really needs to pull its socks up as far as pubs go. Good inclusive pubs mean good for the community.

G-Man
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

richpickings wrote:There's a review of license notice on the door which has been lodged by the police on the grounds of "serious crime"
What a shame they cant close down the Zanzibar Night club on the grounds of serious anti social behaviour - waking up nearby residents at kicking out time which is usually about 5.00am. This happened frequently over the Christmas period culminating in New Year's Day fracas of shouting and hooting of horns, double parking all over the place and general disregard or respect for residents who are continually being disturbed. They even have the temerity to cordon of Spring Hill so that people living in that area have to ask permission to enter their own road - charming.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am puzzled how this Tanzanian night club is allowed to remain when causing so much distress to the neighbours.

Walter Cobb would turn in his grave , afterall the so called nightclub is where there up market restaurant used to be.

Puzzled how the council keep ignoring the locals. But maybe that is what democracy is all about.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

My thing is the Regency Club. It would be great if someone took that over and did it up. I imagine it's just the same as it used to be inside. It would be fantastic. Antic have just done similar in Catford with the Catford Constitutional Club. They had full support of the Catford version of the Sydenham Society and Lewisham Council.

G-Man
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Please refer to "The Regency" post for information regarding a number of potential pub organisations to email to increase awareness and investment in Sydenham :)
CATLADY

Post by CATLADY »

Hi
Had a very nice drink in the Dolphin on Friday - haven't been for a while but ambiance was nice and decor festive. The prices are the problem for us- same as e.g Merchants Tavern ( Angela Hartnett ) in Shoreditch for food and drink! £6 for a bottle of belgian beer ? This cannot be right. We need more venues to add competition so agree with previous poster will be on to the Regency links to email possible investors to come to Sydenham.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

High prices part of the cost of keeping riff raff away.

I like Belgium beer , but in Belgium.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:High prices part of the cost of keeping riff raff away.

I like Belgium beer , but in Belgium.
riff raff?

Thankfully I don't vote for cocaine taking public schoolboys...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Nor do I , MWAV.

Not sure relevance to The Pavillion staying open but that has not bothered you in the past.