The Windmill has closed down

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: The Windmill has closed down

Post by Eagle »

G Man

You are so correct. Good niche beers are nectar of the Gods.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Specific hops Manwithaview? Some of the American hops have amazing tropical fruit and grapefruit flavours. And if you like white wine try a Nelson Sauvin hopped beer. Very similar to Sauvignon Blanc. Or try a less hopped beer, like a mild. Or a coffee or chocolate porter/stout. Delicious with a rich pudding.

Anyway, back on subject. I went to Bromley yesterday to the Barrel and Horn. Amazing pub. About 12 Craft beers from the US and UK on keg, four cask and simple American influenced menu. Both me and G-Lady said how the two halfs (sic) could have easily have been turned into such a pub. So why not the Windmill? We desperately need some business people with vision around here.

If only I could win the lottery....
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

G Man

Yes I went there about 3 months ago and beer excellent. One small complaint , maybe was the time of day , was the loud music . Could not hear each other.

Really good beers though.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

G-Man wrote:Specific hops Manwithaview? Some of the American hops have amazing tropical fruit and grapefruit flavours. And if you like white wine try a Nelson Sauvin hopped beer. Very similar to Sauvignon Blanc. Or try a less hopped beer, like a mild.
I love the aroma of hops. I picked them for four years as a student in the 70s, and I think the varieties the farmer grew were Fuggle and Golding. But already then Fuggle was becoming vulnerable to wilt.
wen

Post by wen »

Does anyone know what's the latest update on the windmill?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm not sure why Forest Hill get to find out first but Sainsbury's have (apparently) pulled out of the Windmill.

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10165
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

No doubt because Paul Upex is a FH ward councillor, which is where the Windmill is.
parker

Post by parker »

Who can blame them really... Suppose they'll be doing the same at The Greyhound. They probably have more chance of opening a store in Sierra Leone than in Sydenham right now...
Sainsbury

Post by Sainsbury »

Sainsbury’s withdraws its applications for former Windmill pub

Sainsbury’s has taken the difficult decision to withdraw its applications for the former Windmill pub following a complete review of the site.

The decision has not been taken lightly and is based on a number of factors. Since we became involved in the site, we have been seeking to purchase additional land at the rear of the building to enable us to receive deliveries at the back of the store. However, this has not been possible and as a result, we cannot put in place our preferred requirement to deliver off the main highway. Notwithstanding the complex nature of assembling the site to make it work for us operationally, the site is also no longer viable due to a number of changes in circumstances.

We became involved in the site last summer, after being approached by the owner’s property agents. The premises had been extensively marketed for an alternate pub operator since 2008, without success. The owner closed the pub, which had been running at a loss for some time, at the beginning of the year and the premises remains vacant. Regardless of Sainsbury’s plans for the site, the owner would have closed the pub due to the difficulty in making it a long term and viable business.

We are very disappointed that we cannot bring this site forward as we believe it would have made a positive contribution to the vibrancy of the shopping parade by providing more choice and a better fresh convenience offer for the local community. Furthermore it would have created new jobs for local people, and importantly prevented the premises from remaining vacant.

Sainsbury’s would like to thank those people who have supported its plans.

Ends
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Congratulations Mary
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Sydenham Society 1, Rest of the World, 0.
wen

Post by wen »

Mary, do you know whether there's a good alternate pub operator lined up? I know a lot of people did not like the idea of a sainsburys, but it would have attracted an increased footwalk to that stretch of road, which really doesn't need another empty building
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

Well done Sydenham Society. SO what are you now proposing to do with the site as i am sure you have a plan to get the site open again? This stretch of the road is run down anyway, its all we need is a large frontage contributing to that.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Although certain members of the Society helped , I seem to think mainly done to herculean efforts by Mary.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Definately agree (doubt many wouldn't!) that it would be great for the plot to be used as previously discussed in other threads; either a gastropub of sorts serving decent food (to offer something different to the other 2 pubs nearby) or a community space such as a small cinema/theatre (if feasible of course) along the lines of what is maybe being discussed in the Zanzibar thread. I've said it before but secondary to their being no cinema between Peckham, Brixton and beckenham there appears a large need/potential client group (I am aware picturehouse cinemas are opening one in West Norwood at some point and have applied for planning in E. Dulwich).
Lastly, although the stretch is a little rundown, there have even positive changes on the whole (and forthcoming) I think :)
marymck

Post by marymck »

No, not just me, Eagle. And not just SydSoc. This was (and is!) very much a team effort by a wide cross section of the local community. We have been hampered thus far by the owner's lawyer instructing the estate agent not to talk with us. Hopefully, now that Sainsburys have withdrawn (and will I hope be concentrating their efforts on the plot behind the Greyhound), the agent and owner will engage with us and we can move forward with some exciting proposals that we have been working on.

In the meantime, we have Fig and Pistachio and Belinda's new project hopefully opening shortly. And don't forget the excellent Cafe Jasmine for breakfasts of heroic proportions.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

marymck wrote:... not just SydSoc. This was (and is!) very much a team effort by a wide cross section of the local community. We have been hampered thus far by the owner's lawyer instructing the estate agent not to talk with us.
What is the phone number or address for the 'us' any estate agent should call or email?

Will anything other than a pub be allowed? What are the possible parameters for a pub - e.g. pricing (so as not to exclude the less affluent), availability for use for community events, etc.?
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Well done Mary.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Taking a lead from Tesco's, who kindly contributed to the funding of the Sydenham Mosaic
The Sydenham Mosaic was made possible by generous support from: Chris Best; Hilary & John Jarrett; Valerie Kelly; Emma Jane Mallinder; Mann Estate Agents; Richard & Dan Crowley of Property World; The Shackleton Foundation; Robert Side; S.G. Smith Motor Group; Mr. & Mrs. L.A.P.Swann; Sydenham Assembly of London Borough of Lewisham;The Sydenham Society; Tesco; Whites Pet Centre; R.Woodfall, Opticians of London. We are also grateful for generous support and donations from many within our community
would it be good PR for any would-be tenant to make a financial contribution to, let us say, SEE3?