Zanzibar Licence Review

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: Zanzibar Licence Review

Post by Eagle »

I would agree the ridiculous closing time is a big problem.

How about 11pm
parker

Post by parker »

I don't think it should be a nightclub at all... Why shouldn't it be a bar that closes at the same time as every other pub in the area. This isn't Croydon!
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

I don’t know whether anyone contributing to this thread attended the meeting at the Grove Centre back in the summer last year about this nightclub. It was well attended by lots of people who have been and continue to be affected by this place. It was called by the neighbourhood licensing police officer.

We too wrote just after Christmas to Jim Abbott having suffered the continuous anti social behaviour emanating from this club at kicking out time (5.00am) and the continual tooting of car horns and shouting and general disregard for the local residents coming from this place. We knew New Year's Eve was going to be hell on earth and wanted something in writing to the police pointing out about the barbeque and the proximity to the garage.

The parking on the pavements has been reported so many times, as has the fact that the ‘bouncers’ or ‘door men’ take over the whole of the area and treat it like their own personal car park. They completely baracade Spring Hill off where it exits off the roundabout, effectively stopping residents accessing their own home!. You have to stop your car and ask permission to be allowed down Spring Hill. This has been going on for ages and the police have been informed and still turn a blind eye. It’s a disgrace – how they are allowed to get away with it beggars belief. I understand that other similar clubs in the South East close at say 1.00-2.00am and then punters head off to Zanzibar for more clubbing as it is the only club in the area that has a licence to stay open until 5.00am.

I don’t know how much more evidence is required – I do know that loads has been supplied – only to be told ‘it can’t be proved its coming from the Zanzibar club. What a joke!
biscuitman1978

Zanzibar Licence Review

Post by biscuitman1978 »

gillyjp wrote:I understand that other similar clubs in the South East close at say 1.00-2.00am and then punters head off to Zanzibar for more clubbing as it is the only club in the area that has a licence to stay open until 5.00am.
All the more reason for Zanzibar's licence to restricted so that it is forced to close at around the same time as other clubs in the area.
gillyjp wrote:I don’t know how much more evidence is required – I do know that loads has been supplied – only to be told ‘it can’t be proved its coming from the Zanzibar club. What a joke!
I understand that Jim Abbott believes the evidence available to him is more compelling than it was last time the licence was reviewed. He does, however, need people to make their voices heard at the licensing committee meeting, so please contact him if you haven't spoken to him in the last few days. Contact details are earlier in this thread.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It baffles me how this monstrosity is allowed to stay open against the will of 99% of the neighbours.

From comments also appears that very few of the gentlefolk attending this weird establishment are local. Probably not the staff either.

Close it down , or the very least close at 11pm.
Zoelee

Post by Zoelee »

I'm all for the club staying open... Why stop people having a good time when it is usually a small percentage causing the grief. Just because we wouldn't necessarily like a night out there doesn't mean others should suffer. However, I do think there obviously needs to be stricter regulations to stop the parking on the streets and noise levels etc.
The council/someone should be working with the security team and insisting on certain rules to stop all this going on. It's easily combated. I'm truly baffled as to how they get away with parking all over the pavements.

re the closing times - If they started rolling out at 11/12/1 you'd be just as miffed as you may be trying to get to sleep at that time! I don't think that the time they come out would really change things.
biscuitman1978

Zanzibar Licence Review

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Zoelee wrote:I'm all for the club staying open... Why stop people having a good time when it is usually a small percentage causing the grief. Just because we wouldn't necessarily like a night out there doesn't mean others should suffer.
Agreed, but I don't agree with your other points...
Zoelee wrote:However, I do think there obviously needs to be stricter regulations to stop the parking on the streets and noise levels etc.
The council/someone should be working with the security team and insisting on certain rules to stop all this going on. It's easily combated. I'm truly baffled as to how they get away with parking all over the pavements.
These 'rules' are already in place, as are parking attendants and mobile CCTV. Clearly not a problem which is 'easily combated'.
Zoelee wrote:re the closing times - If they started rolling out at 11/12/1 you'd be just as miffed as you may be trying to get to sleep at that time! I don't think that the time they come out would really change things.
You seem to be forgetting that longer opening hours means additional drinking time, and higher alcohol consumption means that anti-social behaviour is more likely.

In addition, if as gillyjp points out some clubs in the area close earlier than Zanzibar, then Zanzibar will be a more attractive destination, either for the whole night or as a post-club club. In other words, the number of patrons is likely to be greater than it would be if the opening hours were shorter. More people means a greater risk of anti-social behaviour.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

Dear all

Yesterday I gave a statement to the police regarding the disturbance and antisocial behaviour from the clients of club Zanzibar. It seems they have been working extremely hard on this problem,collecting evidence and are in the process collecting statements from the local residents. They have forced a licence review which will be on the 19th of March. I would urge everyone who has been affected or concerned to contact Sgt Jim Abbott, the licensing sergeant, on Jim.Abbott@met.pnn.police.uk. He and his team are very keen to hear from as many residents as possible.

It is also important that as many local residents can attend the hearing on the 19th, to demonstrate the strength of concern. It will be held at the Civic suite, Catford se6 at 19:15 (Sgt Abbott has recommended residents arrive by 18:30), the 19th of March.

So please pass the word around, attend the meeting and if possible contact Sgt Abbott.
corvid

Post by corvid »

I spoke to Sergeant Jim Abbott about this and will definitely be going to the hearing.

The implication from Jim was that they have worked long and hard to get to a point where they can present a case, and if the residents don't show up in SERIOUS force to show their sentiments on the club are serious, he will not entertain any future complaints about the club.

I can see his point. So whatever happens, we need to make a concerted effort to get people to the meeting. The turnout to the Grove Centre last year was very encouraging... and I'm sure we can do better than that on this one occasion.

I personally have not suffered anywhere near as much as some people living closer to the club, but it has still affected our family with being woken up at stupid o'clock at weekends where the club nights are on.

I would love to see more nights like those that SEE put on last year, maybe trying to get the club to diversify and become more of a community space - it is a good space, and I would like to think that it could be put to really positive use.
wen

Post by wen »

I wonder how many people know about the hearing on the 19th? Was there any notice/letter distributed at the houses most likely to be affected by the club? Or is it just by word of mouth and whoever is checking the forum? Is there a possibility of something like that to be organised - distribution of a letter outlining the licence review and that residents should be present to make their opinions heard at the hearing?
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

If it wasn't for this forum I'd have known nothing about it and I can watch them from my windows setting up the BBQ on the garage forecourt.
As someone who has been woken up many a night by shouting, car horns etc I'd really appreciate it if they closed down or closed at 11pm. Not every one works Monday to Friday and if you've got the alarm going off at 6am on a Sunday to go to work I can not tell you how tired you are.

Unfortunately both of us will be at work or travelling back at the time of the meeting, but we will make our thoughts known via the email links provided.

A leaflet drop in the area is required, how can residents know about the review or the meeting if they're not told?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

There's nothing to stop the residents who DO know leafleting the area, is there?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree, should be closed at 11pm , or indeed closed alltogether.

As , it seems , most people drive to the club ( probably going home under influence of drugs or alcohol ), then I would think very few locals patronise this establishment.

I know The Police are short of Resources but should blood test drivers leaving for drugs/ alcohol and stamp down on anti social behavior.

It is a wonder to me that these people are able to get to work in the morning.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

In answer to Rachael, no there is nothing to stopping residents leafletting, I was hoping to have time this week, but will have to wait. But please anyone be my guest to start the ball rolling, I'd be happy to divide up the labour!
lula

Post by lula »

Just had a knock from the local Bobby who has informed me that there is to be a council review on the 19th March at the civic suite in catford. It starts at 7pm but best to get there for 6.30. The more residents in attendance the better! Strength in numbers is the best action! Hopefully these are a few more steps in the direction of a license revoke!
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Agenda with background papers now online -

http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ ... 3265&Ver=4

Thank you to those residents who provided statements to the police giving examples of the anti-social behaviour.

Look forward to seeing residents at the Licensing Committee next Wednesday at 7.15pm where I will be supporting residents in their call for an end to the 5am late night licence.
angela53

Post by angela53 »

marymck

Post by marymck »

Disgusting. I think IF they keep a licence it should be for no more than normal pub hours. But these are hardly isolated incidents and if the owner was serious about respecting residents he would have taken action before now. Not sure even Soho would accept this.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well said Mary.

The residents deserve better than this.

This building was built in 1860 ish by good olde Walter Cobb. I am sure he will be turning in his grave to see what it has become.

Used to be a haven for politeness and etiquette . It has been turned into the opposite.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

The Licensing Committee next Wednesday can take decisions a range of measures including modify the conditions or revoking the licence.

At the moment the opening hours of the premises are:
11.00 – 04.30 Sunday - Wednesday and 11.00 – 05.30 Thursday - Saturday

The times the licence authorises the carrying out of licensable activities are:
Entertainment (music and dancing) 11.00 – 04.30 Sunday - Wednesday and 11.00 – 05.30 Thursday - Saturday
Alcohol 11.00 – 04.00 Sunday - Wednesday and 11.00 – 05.00 Thursday – Saturday
Late night refreshment 23.00 – 04.00 Sunday - Wednesday and 23.00 – 05.00 Thursday - Saturday

The capacity is a 1000 and the premises are required to be fully sound proofed.

Requirements also include 32 operational CCTV cameras to be maintained and recording kept to data protection standards and retained for 30 days. These will be available to licensing officers and the MPS upon request.

A letter be sent out to all residents within a 300 metre radius of the premises every six months containing contact information for complaints to be received in real time.

Security staff to be employed at the premises at a minimum ratio of one officer per 75 public. A minimum of two security officers be employed outside the premises (subject to numbers of patrons) not withstanding a serious incident
inside the premises requiring assistance.

In the papers for the Licensing Committee you will see a letter dated 12 December from the owner John Wright's solicitor where he does not accept that the late night licence causes noise/ASB problems and that in 2010 the Licensing Committee did not reduce the "terminal" hour.

There is a letter from Lewisham's Director of Public Health dated 20 February 2014 setting out the problems that drinking alcohol late at night can cause. Plus all the witness statements.

There is currently an advert for an event at Zanzibar on Easter Sunday that has been flyposted in the high street. The poster is for Goodas in the Go Go Club – Room 1 Show & Dance Hall, Room 2 Afro Beats/R’N’B Old Skool. Sgt Jim Abbott has asked Zanzibar for their risk assessment and under the current conditions alcohol would be served to 4am with the doors closing at 4.30am.

I am calling for an end to the late night opening and residents have been lobbying for either normal pub hours of 11pm, midnight, 1am for sale of alcohol and 2pm as the latest time for customer to have left the premises – plus additional conditions added to the licence. Please let me have your views/preference – cllr_chris.best@lewisham.gov.uk