Zanzibar Licence Review

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sn4fu

Zanzibar Licence Review

Post by sn4fu »

So now its ok to just park on the pavement and set up a barbi outside a petrol station.

I wonder does this apply to us all or just the rowdy crowd outside the Zanzibar club at 4:30 in the morning.

Hey the police even video this.

TFL your contribution to Sydenham's new paving is being abused!!
Eagle

Re: Zanzibar

Post by Eagle »

It beggar's belief that this so called night club remains open. Walter would turn in his grave.

Not sure any further comment called for.
biscuitman1978

Zanzibar

Post by biscuitman1978 »

sn4fu wrote:So now its ok to just park on the pavement and set up a barbi outside a petrol station.

I wonder does this apply to us all or just the rowdy crowd outside the Zanzibar club at 4:30 in the morning.

Hey the police even video this.

TFL your contribution to Sydenham's new paving is being abused!!
I was woken at around 2:30am (half an hour earlier than I had planned) by patrons of this nightclub.

I also missed the bus I had intended to catch towards central London at around 3:40am as the 176 was rerouted to avoid the nightclub (it did a full circle of Cobbs Corner roundabout and I glimpsed it rejoining the route at the Woodman roundabout as I walked towards Forest Hill).

Like you I noted the street vendors and cars parked across the pavements.

I have flagged this with Lewisham's Environmental Enforcement team by email (environmentalhealth@lewisham.gov.uk). It would be helpful if you could do the same.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

Last night was for me the final straw, following a progressive escalation over the Christmas and new year period. I see the police attended at around 230am last night, but unsure of the reason or outcome. They also attended before Christmas/new year.

Further to the general illegality and asocial nature of the behaviour last night, the sheer recklessness of having a BBQ next to/on a petrol station with homes so close beggars belief!! It is time for this to end.

I also have now emailed the environmental health and urge all others to do so.
Looking at the forum, I see councillor Nisbett took this issue up some time ago, and the licensing sergeant was considering recommending a review of the licence. I will also contact them regarding the latest and get an update on what they may be doing. Again I would urge others to do the same.

This club clearly attracts and tolerates/cannot control this dangerously antisocial and criminal behaviour. It has no positive effect for the local community, only severe detriment, and it is time it's licence was revoked.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Wait until the end of Feb. continue complaints if it continues after then.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

No, I think waiting is a particularly bad idea. Complaints should be made contemporaneously if you want any hope of them being acted on. What possible good will waiting do? I would again urge others who have been disturbed and/or shocked by this to report it to the environmental health as above.

Does anyone know for what reason the police attended? Was there violence as well? Is it possible to find this out?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Why wait another 6 weeks. These problems having been there for ages and cause real annoyance to many good citizens.

If The Pavillion was closed quickly , then why not this establishment.

Used to be a lovely genteel restaurant in the days of Cobb's.

If Police were there one must presume arrests were made so hopefully they will be pushing for action.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I just have a funny feeling something might be happening at the end of Feb. that's all.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

If Bensonby says wait, I get the impression he knows more than us, but cannot tell.
:wink:
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

It's my understanding a licensing meeting is taking place then where the licence is up for review... No massive secret. (I hope now I mention it!)
marymck

Post by marymck »

I believe any close neighbour can write to the licensing committee and express their views, which will be taken into account at any hearing. You should be aware that if you do so your letters/emails will be in the public domain.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

My advice is to keep the pressure on pester as many people int he council as possible until it's resolved. Keep writing to your cllrs.

I tried without success (intact the council hindered progress, especially the mayor) to get the council to act about similar behaviour in an area in which I lived before I moved here for 8 long years before I gave up and moved.

Eventually the property that was causing all the problems was shut down. I got an apology from Darren Johnson (who was actually helpful and supportive during the 8 years of hell) apologising for it not being solved when I lived there, unfortunately Sir Steve Bullock isn't made of the same stuff and his office seemed to side more with the business than the residents and he never apologised, even when I asked for an apology (I don't like our 'mayor' at all).

Keep on badgering, get as many people to back you up as possible and good luck. If a business cannot exist happily in a community without disturbing it, then it has no right to exist as a business. Hopefully the council will do everything in it's power to sort this out. Fact is, it shouldn't really be happening at all. It's been reported before, there should be stricter laws against this.
biscuitman1978

Zanzibar

Post by biscuitman1978 »

I spoke this afternoon to Jim Abbott, the licensing officer for the Met Police in Lewisham.

He has asked that anyone with concerns about Zanzibar nightclub contact him as soon as possible at jim.abbott@met.police.uk
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

Thank you Biscuitman, I have emailed Jim Abbott just now
sydenhamgardener

Post by sydenhamgardener »

You might also want to try emailing your councillors for the sydenham ward. I am stunned that Zanzibar has been allowed to get away with it for quite so long.

cllr_marion.nisbet@lewisham.gov.uk
cllr_liam.curran@lewisham.gov.uk
cllr_chris.best@lewisham.gov.uk
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree it is amazing that the so called powers that be have allowed this Tanzanian aberration to continue for so long , despite the obvious objections by the locals.

One wonders why ???
parker

Post by parker »

I'm sure the place would still be some kind of drug den with or without it's licence...
biscuitman1978

Zanzibar

Post by biscuitman1978 »

I've just had a call from Jim Abbott, the licensing officer for the Met Police in Lewisham.

He informed me that he has now initiated a review of Zanzibar's licence. When the review is considered by Lewisham Council's licensing committee in the next few weeks it will have a number of options, including (a) doing nothing, (b) varying existing or imposing new conditions, e.g. on its hours of operation, and (c) completely revoking the club's licence.

The recommendation that Jim Abbott makes to the committee will depend, in part, on the evidence he has at his disposal. Evidence from people who live locally will be critical, so please make contact with Jim at jim.abbott@met.police.uk if you have information that he is likely to find useful.

You can also make representations to Lewisham Council's licensing team at licensing@lewisham.gov.uk

Additionally, it will be very helpful if people can make verbal representations to the committee when the review is considered. It will also be useful to have a sizeable number of people present at the committee to demonstrate the strength of feeling.

Please pass this message to your neighbours.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What a very helpful post.

Trust we can get the license revoked soon
biscuitman1978

Zanzibar Licence Review

Post by biscuitman1978 »

rod taylor wrote:I don't want this to come across as a troll - but it struck me, the few times I've been going past as the queue develops, that Zanzibar seems to give a lot of people a lot of pleasure.

Is there no way it can keep its licence with promises about future behaviour/regulation?
It's a very fair point. With that in mind I won't be calling for the club to be closed down, simply for is operation to restricted in a way which reduces (and hopefully eliminates) the anti-social behaviour of some of the people who patronise it.

The police have suggested to me that the anti-social behaviour is due largely to the fact that it is allowed (and does) open until around 5am. If an earlier closing time will address the problem then I'd be very happy with that approach.