Zanzibar Alternative Uses

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

It could be so much more as a space. I DJ'd at the summer's Club and Grub nights that were held in the smaller room. It sould be great if it became more of a community asset.

G-Man
G-Man

Re: Zanzibar

Post by G-Man »

If it was to have its license revoked in its present form what would you like it to be? Here's my suggestions:

A pub with art/function space - not sure it has windows though, unless they are blacked out.
Arts centre with a bar and small cinema

Any others?

G-man
leenewham

Re: Zanzibar

Post by leenewham »

I love those suggestions G-man, especially the cinema.
I'd also add:

A theatre.
An indoor street market for people to try out businesses.
A variation of EDs in East Dulwich?
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

The Cinema option is something that a gentleman who is part of "the film mill" was doing a bit of research for (I spotted it in an old post and replied to his survey/him) - He suggested he was still looking into doing something on a small scale in Sydenham. I suggested looking at "Whirled Cinema" (http://www.whirledart.co.uk/cinema) who have been very successful, in my opinion less for it's location (nearish Brixton) but more for the way it is run -
Essentially:
1 screen showing independent, foreign, arthouse, classics and seasonal movies
Only opens in the evening and shows typically one film from Tuesday through Thursday and a different film Friday through Sunday (Monday is rented out for private screenings)
Members fee is £60 for the year or £10 for a week and with any type of membership it allows you to take another person with you.
Has a small bar and orders in nice local pizza.
That's about it. Not sure how financially successful it is but it is very popular (long waiting list for yearly membership at the moment), very reasonably priced with limited opening times and extras so running costs appear low.

Anyways - I realise this is not specifically to do with "Zanzibar" as such but just replying to a few earlier replies.

Jon
Eagle

Re: Zanzibar Alternative Uses

Post by Eagle »

How about a Consulate for Tanzania.

I cannot believe people look happy waiting to enter this establishment. Perhaps they are on drugs.

Bring back Walter .
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

rod taylor wrote:I don't want this to come across as a troll - but it struck me, the few times I've been going past as the queue develops, that Zanzibar seems to give a lot of people a lot of pleasure.

Is there no way it can keep its licence with promises about future behaviour/regulation?
A very fair point to which I've responded in the separate Zanzibar Licence Review thread.

Could we keep this thread for those who want to discuss potential alternative uses?
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

What about a cage fighting venue? I've heard these events are very popular.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Related to a few comments on here, and although strictly not sydenham - have just read of "Louise House" (between Forest Hill library and pools) being opened up as an arts studio soon with a forum poster/shop owner on se23.com stating that it may have a pop-up theatre and/or cinema potentially. Just thought would stick it up for those who would like a nearby theatre venue of sorts until Sydenham gets it act together ;) (PS: The bridge house pub also has some sort of upstairs theatre thing)

http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2013/0 ... r-art.html
corvid

Post by corvid »

I would love to see a cool music space open up somewhere in Sydenham. My band has been looking for somewhere to run a residency that could feel either like an open rehearsal, or if enough people show up, turn into a proper gig. Tables, candles, wine and good chat. Could Zanzibar be such a place?

Love the cinema idea.
harrym

Post by harrym »

I love the cinema idea too. If it had a bar/cafe like the Ritzy in Brixton that'd be amazing.

Suddenly we'd have a place for people from surrounding areas like Crystal Palace, Forest Hill, Brockley, East Dulwich, Dulwich with no cinema of their own to visit Sydenham (and therefore other shops/venues on the high street) for too. Day and evening.

If there was room on Cobbs for a theatre / performance venue too, all the better.
whittler

Post by whittler »

JMLF, yes, you are correct about Louise House, and the organisation running it is called V22 - here's a link to what events they have run in the past at their other spaces http://www.v22collection.com/events/screenings/

Very exciting that they are coming to the area, and i understand that they do indeed intend to run some sort of similar programme in the Louise House building eventually. They are a highly respected cutting edge contemporary art organisation, and the programme of films reflects that, but they also run a very inclusive 'family' programme so here's hoping they continue to do the same once they are up and running in FHill....

Lewisham borough needs to regain some sort of cinema presence, but i do wonder if enough people would use a cinema regularly enough to make it viable.