Hideous new addition to Sydenham. I pay not.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Hideous new addition to Sydenham. I pay not.

Post by Eagle »

I noticed in one of the rather ugly units opposite Cobb's a planning application for the nadir of culture , a tattoo studio.

I pray that the council will not allow this terrible thing to desecrate the bodies of the populace of Sydenham.

God be with the Planning Committee.
mosy

Re: Hideous new addition to Sydenham. I pay not.

Post by mosy »

There was a thread on this, including the planning application reference (so could be read in its full form). From memory, a parlour such as this is Sui Generis, i.e. does not fit into the usual categories of A1, A2 etc . Planning applications are usually updated as regards planned alterations etc, so probably best to use the planning ref as the first port of call. Posted without comment otherwise as I think the other thread pretty much covered typical reactions.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Well I never, Eagle. It's a thread you started: http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... too#p83970

Does the notice say anything new or is work commencing? Not sure why you've raised it as a new topic otherwise?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Hopefully people in Sydenham are not stupid enough to want tattoo's. Seafaring folk OK , but doubt if too may in SE26, Criminal fraternity , let us hope not.
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

Oh I thought Sui Generis was to be the name of the Tattoo shop! (feeling dim now)
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Eagle wrote:I pray that the council will not allow this terrible thing to desecrate the bodies of the populace of Sydenham.
I know this Government is big on localism. But the desecration of citizen's bodies has got nothing to do with the Council, nor should it.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What is yr opinion of those who make themselves unemployable by these hideous items.

Do you believe the NHS should pay for removal. ??

Cannot see any demand in Sydenham as few Sea faring folk and hopefully few gangsters.
michael

Post by michael »

According to one survey this month, a fifth of all British adults have now been inked (as contemporary usage has it). Among 16- to 44-year-olds, both men and women, the figure rises to 29%. Only 9% of over 60s have one, according to a survey of 1,000 adults by the Ask Jeeves website, but 16% of people aged between 30 and 44 have two. The survey, while not entirely scientific, is in line with a 2008 US study showing that 36% of Americans aged 18-25, 40% of those aged 26-40 and 10% of those aged 41-64 have a tattoo. America, Woody reckons, is "probably about a decade ahead in terms of popularity".
Source: Guardian, July 2010 - http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign ... 20/tattoos

I think it reasonable to assume that around 20% of people in Sydenham have had a tattoo (although the figure may be lower amongst forum contributors). And I'm not sure why NHS treatment should be withdrawn from then any more than those who choose to 'desecrate their bodies' with cigarettes.

The important thing is there is a market for people wanting tattoos and it is one of the few services not currently offered by Tesco, so there is a small gap for an independent business to be established on the high street. So while it remains perfectly legal to get a tattoo, I don't see any reason to prevent such shops opening.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Eagle wrote:What is yr opinion of those who make themselves unemployable by these hideous items.
Oh, how I wish.

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I have no issues with it, I find this post rather sad to be honest.

I'm no fan of tattoos, but it's up to the individual isn't it? Many many employed people have them. As long as the shop creates employment, supplies something people want, looks like it's proud of itself and an asset to the streets cape and is mindful of the community, they should be warmly welcomed.

Although I expect Eagle won't be one of their customers.
michael

Post by michael »

leenewham wrote:Although I expect Eagle won't be one of their customers.
I'm sure that they could do something nice for him, if he changed his mind.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

I'm with leenewham on this. All just depends on what it can contribute to the community and look of the high street - If it fits in nicely/looks nice and gives locals who do want one a local place to go plus giving some employment then no harm no foul. Would be nice if it had a brucie bonus for the non-tattoed minded folk aswell mind but off the top of my head I've never seen a tattoo studio that doubled as anything else or offered other services bar piercings.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

A tattoo shop in North london attracts lots of famous people (A list Hollywood Stars).

It's not exactly a brimming high street either.
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

I have 2 tattoos. I am employed. Am neither a criminal or Seafaring. my body, my choice.
wen

Post by wen »

I'm new to this forum, hoping to move to the area if the lawyers finally sort out everything, and been a lurker for a while. Interesting topic, and I'd have to say a good tattoo parlour that would improve the look of the existing unit surely is to be encouraged, especially if it's an empty space? loads of people I know have tattoos, those in creative sector are comfortable getting tattoos in visible places, whereas people working in more traditional sector choose subtler areas.

I wonder whether it would also offer piercings? Main reason for that query is that my sister recently posted her trip to get a new piercing on facebook, and at least 2 of our mutual friends recognised the person doing the piercing and mentioned they loved the service there. Just made me think that's clients from south west, south east and north London all going to same place for piercings!
Zoelee

Post by Zoelee »

I'd much rather a tattoo studio than any more graffiti... sorry 'street art' To each their own, I guess.
daliftkid

Post by daliftkid »

Hi everyone
Firstly I'd like to thank everyone for there nice comments and support, I am the owner of the 'hideous addition' . It has been a long hard struggle to get into this unit (which has been shut for several years) but now I'm finally in it feels great.

I look forward to working with the community, especially when the sydenham arts festival comes round, we will be offering paintings, sculptures, clothes, accessories, eventually art classes and of course tattoos :lol:

Everyone who will work in the shop is an artist (I myself am a watercolour artist) and we plan on laying out the space like an art gallery so feel free to pop, even if you don't like tattoos (and this is at you eagle) you can come by and enjoy the art, I won't bite I'm not seafaring folk, my ancestors did that for me in 1311 :mrgreen:

Rob Lawrence
Inkwa Tattoos
marymck

Post by marymck »

Hi Rob

Welcome to Sydenham.

Will you be doing ear piercing by needle? And are you Health Authority registered? I was going to Extreme Needle, but perhaps you can save me the trip to town.
harrym

Post by harrym »

Good luck Rob. Don't be deterred by the moaning Minnie's on here. Great to see the unit in use and for it to be occupied by local artists is really exciting I think x
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Personally cannot see anything exciting in body mutilation . But what do I know.