Going over old ground - The Hound that is Grey

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Rachael

Re: Going over old ground - The Hound that is Grey

Post by Rachael »

Are SydSoc on Facebook and Twitter? I follow Forest Hill Soc on both and find it really useful. Not only do they update on FHSoc news, but they retweet information from local traders, SEE3, etc. Many of the new businesses in FH are on Twitter - Sugar Mountain, St David coffee shop, Canvas and Cream, The Butchery. It's very useful.
michael

Post by michael »

https://twitter.com/SydenhamSociety
Most of the Tweets are directly fed by their website.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thanks, Michael.
biscuitman1978

Going over old ground - The Hound that is Grey

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Cllr Best advised attendees at tonight's Sydenham Assembly that the planning application for rebuilding of the Greyhound will be considered by one of the Council's planning committees on Thursday 14 March 2013.

The application (ref DC/12/81431/X) was submitted back in September 2012 and is for rebuilding of the pub (including the retention of the original front elevation), to provide a two-storey public house/restaurant (use class A3/A4) with basement, together with a conservatory.

Officers are recommending that permission is granted. The officer report can be viewed at http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ ... 5&MId=2575

The planning application and supporting documents can be viewed at http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/ (enter DC/12/81431/X in the search box).
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Has this really just been waiting on a planning decision for six months? That seems crazy in the circumstances! Or is there more to it than that?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

If this has been waiting 6 months it is a disgrace. In the circumstances the Council should have put it to number one in the queue.

Either build the Pub or knock it down. Do not leave things any longer as they are.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

I walked past the Greyhound this morning in the snow and - like so many on here - felt extreme annoyance that it has been allowed to stand thus for so long.

I add my voice to the (seeming) consensus that the developers should be encouraged by whatever is at our disposal to complete the building and for it to retain some form of A3 use and retain the name of The Greyhound. All of the arguments that it isn't big enough, etc, are yet to be tested. The developers were allowed to do so on the grounds that this building be preserved. What kind of message does it send if they no longer need to do so?

I have no experience in planning applications, but certainly it would be helpful to those interested in taking on the commercial unit if the building actually had a roof/ was repaired. Its current state must surely be very offputting along with this very public row about its future.

I own a flat in a building where the Freeholder was responsible for letting two buildings fall into disrepair (the Concrete House on Lordship Lane, now saved by compulsory purchase order) and the caretaker's cottage of Brandlehow School in Wandsworth which he incredibly went ahead and demolished despite twice being refused permission to do so. He ended up in the High Court twice and was ordered to rebuild under threat of prison if he did not - yet somehow this was never enforced by Wandsworth Council who initially pursued him to the High Court and he never has done so.

I was astonished and depressed by this. He must have known that the chances of anyone running up the kind of expense required to take him on put the odds in his favour of getting what he wanted. I am not saying that Purelake knowingly did this, but to the onlooker, the impression is the same. My experience of my freeholder's actions has opened my eyes to why developers can and do act in this way. It's extremely frustrating and it is why I feel that The Greyhound should be preserved.
If they have to rebuild it brick by brick because it falls down, well so be it. It's just the honourable thing to do
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Weeble wrote:Has this really just been waiting on a planning decision for six months? That seems crazy in the circumstances! Or is there more to it than that?
Having read the document linked to above, it does in fact sound like there has been a lot of engagement and negotiation between the planners and the developers in the last 6 months, rather than it simply in a queue for a decision. I take back my incredulity
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

After many months of corespondence I am pleased to report that Lewisham Council has gained a conviction against Purelake New Homes Limited for the unauthorised demolition of the Greyhound pub. The Company formally entered a plea of guilty at the Bromley Magistrates' Court on Tuesday 19 March. The Company was ordered to pay £13,000 in costs to the Council to cover legal expenses and an additional fine of £5,000. A lot of time has been spent on this case by Lewisham officers - both from the planning and legal teams - as well as community time in assisting with witness statements.

In determining the penalty, the Court took into account that Purelake New Homes Limited had offered a plea of guilty, was not likely to benefit from the development financially, agreed to pay prosecution costs and intended to rebuild the pub using original materials.

We are hoping that the revised plans will be presented to the Planning Committee after Easter so that we can finally agree the rebuilding of the pub.

This is a case of where Lewisham were prepared to take legal action because the developer demolished most of the building and put in a new basement without planning permission. We hope it will send a message to other developers that they need to respect the planning laws and work with Lewisham not ignore our requests for information.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rod taylor wrote:Hopefully we can crack on with getting the pub open because I need a drink!
Other hostelries and thirsty folk are available: http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9134

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rod taylor wrote:Would we have to continue calling you Admin?
Nope. Your highness is quite sufficient :wink:

Seriously there will be a hell of a STF Social Night when The Greyhound re-opens. I might even buy a round. Paging Purelake .... we need a date!

Admin
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Congratulations and thank you to Chris and all involved. A correct decision seen through to a successful outcome and a clear warning to other developers .
It is great to see a happy conclusion to this business and a reminder to us all that we should have high hopes for Sydenham and not except mediocre compromise .
Well done again .
A very good evening
Nigel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

yeah big pat on the back for lewisham, just goes to show how f-ing useless they really are.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

dan.....

Are you praising LBC , or swearing at them

Yes Congrats to all involved however when oh when is the mess going to be sorted out.

Probably Purelake will go bankrupt and we will be left with the current eyesore.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Dan,
strong sentiments indeed. I have quoted him before but again, Colin Fucious, sometime oriental philosopher and Sydenham stalwart , " it is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness".

In your case , you seem to have called the the candle a ***ng *****xy, stup ****ffin' *****ard and probably would have called the dark a **ing , t** and a t**sser , but ....we show our appreciation in different ways .

I hold no particular candle for Lewisham council much of the time but I am grateful that they have turned this around and I have to congratulate them .
Good evening
Nigel
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Rod
until he was barred for some off-colour comments about the Golden City, as I recall. How the art of pub conversation has suffered through juke-boxes and fruit machines.
Good evening
NIgel
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Chris Best wrote:After many months of corespondence I am pleased to report that Lewisham Council has gained a conviction against Purelake New Homes Limited for the unauthorised demolition of the Greyhound pub. The Company formally entered a plea of guilty at the Bromley Magistrates' Court on Tuesday 19 March. The Company was ordered to pay £13,000 in costs to the Council to cover legal expenses and an additional fine of £5,000. A lot of time has been spent on this case by Lewisham officers - both from the planning and legal teams - as well as community time in assisting with witness statements.

In determining the penalty, the Court took into account that Purelake New Homes Limited had offered a plea of guilty, was not likely to benefit from the development financially, agreed to pay prosecution costs and intended to rebuild the pub using original materials.

We are hoping that the revised plans will be presented to the Planning Committee after Easter so that we can finally agree the rebuilding of the pub.

This is a case of where Lewisham were prepared to take legal action because the developer demolished most of the building and put in a new basement without planning permission. We hope it will send a message to other developers that they need to respect the planning laws and work with Lewisham not ignore our requests for information.
The question that I would like answering regarding the fact that Purelake managed the unauthorised demolition of the Greyhound pub is why weren't Lewisham Council monitoring this site - at least on a once a week or fortnightly basis. I think if they had have been doing their job properly surely they would have noticed that the pub was being taken apart piecemeal by this Contractor?

Dont get me wrong - as the closest neighbours to this eyesore I would like nothing more than for the whole sorry mess to be demolished now and replaced by a Pocket Park. Why throw good money after bad - creating a building no one will want to use because it is too small. Already we are being disturbed by aggro going on in the alleyway behind the Greyhound site otherwise renamed as 'Muggers Paradise' which is currently full of litter and vomit and probably urine soaked. Conveniently out of sight of the main high street it is a handy little place for all that antisocial behaviour going on long into the night and early morning. Roll on the hot summer nights. I can hardly wait.....
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

In defence if lewisham, I'm sure they would if they had infinite resources. But like all councils, staff are stretched. Especially planning. Purelake are at fault here.

Jilly, why do you think it will be a muggers paradise?

Last time I walked down the back of the greyhound it wasn't full if vomit or smelt anything like a toilet. It will have a lot of people walking past as its where sainsburys is going!

Why do you think the greyhound is too small?

Why do you think no-one wants it? It's not finished yet! Should we knock down all vacant buildings?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Nigel wrote: I have quoted him before but again, Colin Fucious, sometime oriental philosopher and Sydenham stalwart , " it is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness".
According to this site
Several people are associated with this proverbial saying ['It is better...'], notably John F. Kennedy. It was first spoken in public by Peter Benenson, the English lawyer and founder of Amnesty International, at a Human Rights Day ceremony on 10th December 1961