Going over old ground - The Hound that is Grey

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Re: Going over old ground - The Hound that is Grey

Post by leenewham »

The mural is in production. Tiles will appear on site soon apparently (I contacted the manufacturers). I hope purelake aren't contemplating putting up the mural on a derelict building. Surely they wouldn't do this. I have politely asked purelake and our local mp's brother for clarification but he must be very busy because I still haven't had a reply, which is odd as in the past they were always really quick to respond.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

What happens to the mural if the pub is not rebuilt?

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Your guess us as good as mine.

stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Would this farce not be of interest to local TV and Radio? BBC London, LBC, Evening Standard etc?
Something needs to be done to break the stasis.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

stone-penge wrote:Would this farce not be of interest to local TV and Radio? BBC London, LBC, Evening Standard etc?
Something needs to be done to break the stasis.
I think this is a good question, and I've just emailed the Standard's planning correspondent, Mira Bar-Hillel to ask if it's on her radar; others could try other journalists.

But I have my doubts as to whether any professional journalists will be interested, because there are obvious legal risks, not just from any suggesting relationship between this business and our MP, but also from the need to understand the planning details of something which has already become the subject of litigation. Real investigative journalism is expensive, and I doubt if this matters enough to the rest of the world.
michael

Post by michael »

You might be better to contact a journalist who has previously written about The Greyhound.

Mark Chandler
Email: mchandler@london.newsquest.co.uk
https://twitter.com/Mark_Chandler

Previous article: http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/10302 ... emolition/

But I'm not sure what aspect is newsworthy beyond what has already been reported. The only news is the production of the mural, which is a positive news story, I would hope.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Some excellent points made - I am convinced that a factual update would be newsworthy , especially with the NewsShopper journalist eg the action by LBL , the hearing outcome then months later Cobbs Corner still defaced by Purelake.
If anyone felt up to writing up the brief history in plain fact I would be happy to printing some flyers encouraging passers by to contact Purelake and would encourage my friends to send on a pre-written and wholly reasonable request for an update from Purelake.
Nuisance value but it would be something rather than waiting . Lets make it easy for anyone to ask a question of Purelake whenever they feel - as Mr Sheen is doing to to potentially good effect. The shadow it casts over the mural has to be another factor in our favour .
Good evening
Nigel

gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

I wouldn't mind betting that the derelict building of what was once the Greyhound will be around for some time. In fact, it might even surpass the length of time that old rusty scaffolding has been up at the house at the end of Burghill Rd. Last suggestions of how long that has been up from 'Sydenham, back in the day' (which is a Facebook spin off) was 1940's.

I think it will be a relic people actually come and see - like one goes to see when on holiday - a pile of old bricks that you look at and think - why??

As suggested before - many times now, knock it down and put in it's place a public green space and use the mural made of tiles on the floor (Sorry Lee but at least it can then be utilised and seen).

LB Lewisham don't care, Pure Lake care even less and Sydenham Society - well they seem to have opted out of the issue altogether!
simon

Post by simon »

With regards the press angle; my previous suggestion of a demo at Purelake's office would be newsworthy. News Shopper would probably send a photographer. Only needs a few people, some placards and the message of demanding answers. I also think demanding that Lewisham and other council's don't grant any other permissions to Purelake until progress is made at the Greyhound would reasonable.
biscuitman1978

Going over old ground - The Hound that is Grey

Post by biscuitman1978 »

simon wrote:I also think demanding that Lewisham and other council's don't grant any other permissions to Purelake until progress is made at the Greyhound would reasonable.
Nice idea, but if any council refused an application (or refused to make a decision on an application) on these grounds Purelake would simply appeal and then make an application for costs (which I'm sure they would get).
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

But what if it's the councils planning department that is the issue. If Purelake don't have the permissions, they can't build.

As it's totally unclear what the issues are with the planning applications online, we are all in the dark.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Simon
Hundred percent with you on this . There is no reason why as a community we should not demand a clear update from Purelake as to why they continue to deface our town centre.
Personally I have no interest in the niceties of procurement and tendering - if a journalist could be persuaded to photograph us with placards outside Purelake's offices then it can only help put the pressure on. Several posters have attempted to ask civil question and have got no response so Purelake forfeit any rights to civil treatment . They have behaved appallingly , continue to ignore residents and need to be shown up as just that . Count me in.
Good afternoon
Nigel

JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I have just emailed 'info@purelake.co.uk' the following
As a concerned resident of Sydenham please could you provide me with an update to the works that are ongoing at The Greyhound Pub?
I’d be interested in knowing when I will be able to enjoy a pint in the pub, and admire the mural on the wall.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

So, should we set a date? I'm in.

G-Man
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

Monday 5th. Emailed asking for an estimate as to when work on the Greyhound would be complete. No response.
Tuesday 6th. Emailed asking for an estimate as to when work on the Greyhound would be complete. No response.
dickp

Post by dickp »

Would this strike the right note, do you think? Anyone care to send it?

Draft: Dear Mr Dowd

As a constituent of yours, I am writing to ask for your assistance in resolving a local planning issue that is blighting my local high street: the fate of the derelict “The Greyhound” pub, which was unlawfully semi-demolished by Purelake, despite being in a conversation area. Purelake now appears to be committed to a protracted planning dispute with Lewisham Council over the rebuild of the pub they wrecked, which threatens to drag on for months.

Given that Sydenham High Street is a “Portas Pilot” scheme, and given that the derelict pub occupies at a prominent position on the High Street, this on-going planning dispute has cast something of a malaise over our entire regeneration agenda – an especially depressing fact, seeing as the High Street roadway itself is enjoying a sustained investment from TfL.

As my local MP, I hope you can use your influence to help resolve this dispute as swiftly as possible. Several locals are spoiling for a fight, and intend to launch a high-profile media campaign against Purelake for their foot-dragging on this issue. It would be helpful if you were seen to be publically on the side of local voters in this forthcoming media battle - I'm sure they would welcome your public support.

Regards

Local resident
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

How about we all send it?
maestro

Post by maestro »

dickp wrote:
which was unlawfully semi-demolished by Purelake, despite being in a conversation area.
Well let's hope they'll take notice of the chattering classes. :)
angela53

Post by angela53 »

a good letter dickp, we need to keep up the momentum
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Good Luck.

If ever the pub is opened what will be post about????? It is our raison d'etra