Going over old ground - The Hound that is Grey

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
SIMONTREWIN

Re: Going over old ground - The Hound that is Grey

Post by SIMONTREWIN »

Why isn't this a massive scandal being covered by the London Evening Standard? Because it is in Sydenham and not Kensington.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Has anybody sent the Standard the facts , as known.

They can hardly be expected to write about it without input from locals.
dickp

Post by dickp »

Maybe someone should tell the evening standard? How will they know otherwise? Give a brief sysopsys of the story, and tie it into the portas pilot and any other juicy angle to raise the journo's interest - and give 'em purelakes details, the details of local councillors, mps and civic leaders. Maybe an old and new photo to, to ensure the story become as photo story, not a single column story.

Basically, spoonfeed the es newsdesk the entire story, ideally in less than 500 words.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well if someone would like to write it up and use the pictures we already have plus more I would be delighted to put it on the front page of Sydenham Town. We can then invite the papers to steal it from there ... Even less effort for a hard worked journo!

Admin
simon

Post by simon »

I'll have a go this week admin.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Simon
Great stuff - if you need any extra photos I am fairly local and can nip down with the old box brownie .
PM me is I can be of help
A very good afternoon
Nigel

dickp

Post by dickp »

The regeneration of one of london's portas pilot high streets is being undermined by ongoing planning wrangles over a landmark site, locals say.

The greyhound pub, which sits at the gateway to sydenham high street, has been delerect for more than a year, due to wrangles over how it should be rebuilt. The xth century pub was illegally demolished by local developer, x, in month. The developer has since been found guilty of x, and fined x. However, although the pub has since been partially rebuilt, it has spent the last year without a roof. Sainsburys have also been denied accces to the site to develop a local store, until xs ongoing wraglings with lewisham council's planning department are resolved.

"This ongoing saga is a real kick in the teeth for all sydenham residents who want a local landmark restored and our highs street improved," said local dignitary. "Besides the portas pilot scheme, tfl have just completed a £x thousand improvement to sydenham's streetscape. But the ongoing planning issues ovre of the future of the greyhound site is a highly visual challenge when trying to attract new retaiil investment into the area."

Sent from the m1 motorway!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

simon wrote:I'll have a go this week admin.
That would be really great. Do plunder anything that is already there feely - if you are prepared to lower your standards :wink:

Admin
dickp

Post by dickp »

Cheeky so-and-so!
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

biscuitman1978 wrote:A deed of variation to the legal agreement attached to the original planning permission needs to be signed before any further work can take place. The draft deed of variation is with Purelake and remains unsigned.

Sydenham ward councillors and I frequently ask the Council's legal team to put pressure on Purelake's solicitor to move this forward, but the Council's legal team doesn't appear to view this as a high priority.

I believe that ward councillors have now asked the Mayor and Deputy Mayor (who is responsible for planning) to intervene. I have made the same request of the Deputy Mayor and I await a response.
As admin has noted in his report from Saturday's Sydenham Assembly meeting (see http://sydenham.org.uk/sydenham-assembl ... mber-2013/), Cllr Best hopes that the deed of variation to the legal agreement will be signed by all parties (Lewisham Council, Purelake, the retail concession and Hexagon housing) by Christmas. Certainly she has assured me that 'everyone is now on the case', which is a big step forward.

Once the deed of variation is signed the new planning permission can be formally issued and Purelake will be able to return to site to remove the mezzanine floor they installed without permission.

Purelake will also be able to apply to Lewisham Council to 'discharge conditions' attached to the new permission, e.g. to agree some of the details of design. Once these conditions are discharged Purelake will be able to get on with rebuilding. Let's hope that Purelake have the appetite to do so.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Agree.

Finally, light at the end of the tunnel.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

biscuitman1978 wrote:As admin has noted in his report from Saturday's Sydenham Assembly meeting (see http://sydenham.org.uk/sydenham-assembl ... mber-2013/), Cllr Best hopes that the deed of variation to the legal agreement will be signed by all parties (Lewisham Council, Purelake, the retail concession and Hexagon housing) by Christmas. Certainly she has assured me that 'everyone is now on the case', which is a big step forward.
I understand that the retail concession and Hexagon housing have now seen the draft deed of variation. That in itself is a step forward, though as far as I am aware the deed has not yet been signed by all four parties. I am chasing the Council's legal team for an update and will post further news as and when I know more. No doubt Cllr Best will do the same.

As I've previously advised, once the deed of variation is signed the new planning permission can be formally issued and Purelake will be able to return to site to remove the mezzanine floor they installed without permission. Purelake will also be able to apply to Lewisham Council to 'discharge conditions' attached to the new permission, e.g. to agree some of the details of design. Once these conditions are discharged Purelake will be able to get on with rebuilding.

On a related matter, I've previously posted on this thread about two outstanding appeals by Purelake. These were appeals against the Council's failure to make a decision on two applications to discharge conditions on the previous planning permission.

The Planning Inspectorate has now made a decision on the appeals, and you can view the decisions at http://www.pcs.planningportal.gov.uk/pc ... search.asp (search SE26 4QB in the postcode box and click 'search for cases', click on the reference in which you are interested, click on 'decision' under the green box, then on the + symbols and then open the pdf).

You'll see that the Inspector allowed the appeals, though that's largely academic as the old planning permission cannot be implemented as Purelake largely demolished the pub (hence the need for the new planning application). On the plus side:
- It's one less thing that Purelake can point to as a reason not to get on with discharging the conditions on the new permission (once it's issued)
- As two similar conditions will be imposed on the new permission it should be fairly easy to discharge them when we get to that stage

I am optimistic for the Greyhound in 2014! I hope I'm not disappointed.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I hope the reg's from The Railway ( which had had licence revoked ) do not move to Greyhound when and if opened.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

Does any one have any more news on the Greyhound. Has the deed of variation been signed yet?
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Gaddison wrote:Does any one have any more news on the Greyhound. Has the deed of variation been signed yet?
To my knowledge the deed has not yet been signed by all four parties.

I have emailed the solicitor responsible at Lewisham Council four times seeking an update but he has not responded. Cllr Best has also emailed him. When I get a moment I will chase him by phone.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

biscuitman1978 wrote:To my knowledge the deed has not yet been signed by all four parties.

I have emailed the solicitor responsible at Lewisham Council four times seeking an update but he has not responded. Cllr Best has also emailed him. When I get a moment I will chase him by phone.
I spoke this afternoon to the solicitor at Lewisham Council responsible for the deed of variation. He noted that he had received several emails from me but sadly didn't offer an apology for his failures to respond.

When I pressed him for an update he advised me that solicitors for the various parties which need to be signatories to the deed of variation are considering the draft deed. He promised to email when he has news to report, which he expected 'in the next few days'.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

I second that. Your hard work is very much appreciated Biscuitman
owlwise

The Greyhound Pub - Any Updates?

Post by owlwise »

The structure is now looking quite dangerous and awful. It's shameful. Does anyone know if things are going to get moving with it or do we have to put up with this hideous monstrosity blighting Sydenham for the indefinite future? Councillor Best, do you have any updates?
biscuitman1978

The Greyhound Pub - Any Updates?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

The latest update is just a few threads below this new one you've created - see http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=440

(Admin - could you please merge these threads? Thanks.)

-------------
Done - Admin
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes it is old ground.

Had a good look and it is an absolute mess and disgrace.

The balcony looks overgrown and completely unsafe. The building itself is already showing cracks. The wood stored on the upper floor. I would imagine not in a great state.

Pull it down and turn the area into a flower bed. What could be nicer.

If ever rebuilt will not be the original so hardly historic.