Old optician/On the Hoof

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
G-Man

Old optician/On the Hoof

Post by G-Man »

Noticed yesterday that there's a change of use sign on the old optician from 'On the hoof'. Them of train station coffee fame. It says the change of use is to restaurant. I'm presuming it will be for a cafe. Or perhaps they are branching out. Either way great news for a great local business.

Cheers

G-man
Last edited by G-Man on 2 Feb 2014 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Lund

Re: Old optition/On the Hoof

Post by Tim Lund »

Fantastic
Toots

Post by Toots »

Which unit is this? I've been asking on the hoof for a while if they can get into the high street. Monmouth coffee on the main retail drag would certainly add some energy to Sydenham's regeneration.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

23 Sydenham Road. Two down from Well Being.
Toots

Post by Toots »

Thank you Tim, that's great news.
parker

Post by parker »

G-Man wrote:Noticed yesterday that there's a change of use sign on the old optition from 'On the hoof'.

What do you mean by optition?
simon

Post by simon »

Optician!
parker

Post by parker »

Should've gone to Specsavers shouldn't I...
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

simon wrote:Optician!
Ha. Thanks! I kept looking at my spelling of it and thinking that's not quite right. I blame a slightly fuzzy head. Whoops.

G-Man
leenewham

Re: Old optician/On the Hoof

Post by leenewham »

This is a really exciting, positive addition to the high street. A local business run by local people.

More of this please.
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

I spoke to lovely on the hoof lady today, all being well they will move into high st and serve food etc. fingers crossed they stay in the station as well!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Thinking about serving food, it struck me recently that this might be just as important a part of an independent café business model. I think it's something where Sugahill is particularly strong.
Last edited by Tim Lund on 5 Feb 2014 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If they provide enough space for people to use it as a work space in off-peak times, it will do well. I use Canvas and Cream and St David Coffee House as mobile office spaces in the mid to late morning. Once the lunch rush starts I either order lunch or leave to free up the table for a potential lunch customer. A space like that in Sydenham would be very welcome.
marymck

Post by marymck »

I believe (and hope) it's going to be a bistro and that it's planned to open 09.00-21.30 hrs, but with fewer hours on Sun.
Cwebby76

Post by Cwebby76 »

That would be amazing! And first I've heard of it, quite out of the blue.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Actually, I'd agree with you on that, Rod. When I work in public places, I am writing. Quietly.

I was in Canvas and Cream the other day and there was a woman with a laptop and a head set, obviously using FaceTime or Skype to conduct a business call. It was really annoying. On the other hand, in St David's recently I've seen people step outside to make and receive calls. Cafes are not offices, but they are nice places to work, and productive. There have been studies that show that the background noise in such places is very conducive to concentration, and better than absolute silence. There is even an app that reproduces cafe background noise to get you in the zone!

Another side issue - I wonder what part of the brain is responsible for the fact that it is easy to tune out a conversation between two people at the next table, but not one person on the phone.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Rachael wrote:Another side issue - I wonder what part of the brain is responsible for the fact that it is easy to tune out a conversation between two people at the next table, but not one person on the phone.
I suspect that two people are having a balanced conversation. You can choose to tune in or out. However on a phone you hear only one side of the conversation and our brains are programmed to fill in empty bits. You are inevitably drawn into reconstructing the conversation you may or may not be interested in. But by then it is too late!

YMMV
Stuart
mosy

Post by mosy »

Does anyone know if a cafe can display for communal use (pick up put down) the day's papers or maybe magazines, or is that a no-no for H&S reasons? Ta.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Kente do, Starbucks do, waiting rooms do, even the local kebab and chip shops do. I don't think I've heard if such a law.

Why do you think that might be the case mosy?
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks leenewham re papers and mags.
I thought I had a vague memory about hospital in-patient wards due to risk of contagion although that might have been MRSA rather than E-coli.