The Alexandra to become a hostel?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
alywin

The Alexandra to become a hostel?

Post by alywin »

The question mark in the title is merely to indicate that I may have misread this, because the planning application was wrapped round a nearby lamppost and was very difficult to read. Strangely enough, there wasn't one on the building itself ;), however, it looks as though the former Alexandra pub on Parish Lane (opposite the lovely Alexandra Nurseries) is to be turned into an 11-bed hostel - with parking. (I wasn't aware that the Alexandra had any parking, but then I never knew it in its incarnation as a pub anyway).

The date by which representations need to be made to Bromley Council is Feb 19th, i.e. tomorrow (although past experience suggests that they will probably consider anything which reaches them before the committee sits to discuss it).

I have to go out to work now: does anyone have time to research this further?
Tim Lund

Re: The Alexandra to become a hostel?

Post by Tim Lund »

From the covering letter:
Re: The Alexandra, 163 Parish Lane, SE20 7JH
Dear Sirs,
We are kindly writing to ask you for consideration of our proposal for 163 Parish Lane, SE20 7JH.
This planning pursues approval for the conversion of an existing building featuring a pub with ancillary accommodation of 6 studio rooms with shared use of toilets and kitchens, into a Restaurant/Gastro Pub with ancillary hostel accommodation of 11 bedrooms with ensuite shower rooms and shared use of kitchen, 4 self contained one bedroom suites and 1 accessible suite.
Formal details start here
Reference 13/04084/FULL1
Alternative Reference PP-03057085
Application Received Mon 09 Dec 2013
Address The Alexandra 163 Parish Lane Penge London SE20 7JH

Proposal Change of use from class A4 (public house) to Class A3/A4 (public house/restaurant) with hostel accommodation (sui generis) to provide 11 bedrooms with shared kitchens and 5 one bedroom suites, associated car parking, cycle storage and refuses storage
More here

Nothing on a web site for the email given for the 'architectural designer', Marco Ferrara-Bardile - does that mean, not actually qualified architect? - but something here
stuart

Post by stuart »

More here: http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/marco-ferrar ... /4/50b/621

Looks like it is a matter of jurisdiction. He is an Architect but as he is not recognised by RIBA he cannot use that title in the UK. Interesting pedigree though ... if he can bring some Venezuelan flair to Penge ...

Stuart
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Sounds okay to me. People need to live somewhere. Especially in this economic climate. It might actually be more of an hostel in the tourist sense. At least we're getting a nice boozer.

G-Man
chrism

Post by chrism »

Sarah at Alexandra Nurseries will know the latest but my understanding is a bistro or pub serving food with short term accommodation upstairs.

See here for Penge gossip

http://www.virtualnorwood.com/forum/top ... hts/page-3

The community is hoping to get Late Knights involved- the brewery has been talking to the owner.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Interesting read. Did any flashes of a mini Greyhound fiasco pass before your eyes? I would no wish that on Penge or anybody. Let's hope we are wrong this time.

Stuart
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

G-Man wrote:Sounds okay to me. People need to live somewhere. Especially in this economic climate. It might actually be more of an hostel in the tourist sense. At least we're getting a nice boozer.

G-Man
really looking forward to sharing a half or even a pint with you there soon :)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

If it becomes a decent real ale pub then great . However concerned so much space used as a hostel. How much left for the Pub.

As for Late Knight's . They are regulars at The Moon and Stars already. Great beers.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Thanks to all the sleuths :). So, converting from 6 beds to 16, with the accessible one presumably at ground-floor level? Really doesn't sound as though there'll be much room left for the pub/bistro part of things. That would explain about the parking, though: I had visions of a hostel for the homeless, and wondered why they would need that much parking!

Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens.
jonathan_har

Post by jonathan_har »

If the delveloper is genuine and honourable (oxymoron I know), then I think this has the potential to be positive - bringing life back to an old building that would otherwise deteriorate..

My concern is the size of the proposed pub. Currently it is 120m2 at ground floor (including function room) and a further 80m2 basement cellar (assumed - existing basment drawings are deliberately not labeled). The proposed pub is 80m2 at ground floor only with no cellar - so it will be approximately half the size of the existing pub including the cellar. That may be fine if a decent pub can function in 80m2, but I doubt it, although I'm no expert. I suppose all of this is well rehearsed with the Greyhound...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Jonathan

I agree important questions to be answered. Also what type of Hostel is it. Bail Hostel ? Youth Hostel ? We just do not know.

I think I went in the Pub once decades ago and quickly came out , but do not recall it being very large
alywin

Post by alywin »

I noticed when I went past it today that it is a very small site - where on earth is the existing car parking? The building is bounded by the railway and that road-which-doesn't-go-anywhere, the name of which I can't remember.
jonathan_har

Post by jonathan_har »

Eagle, the application states that the accomodation is targeted at professionals on short stay, business conferences etc. Apparently the location near Penge East station makes it ideal, and the developer specialies in this kind of accomodation.

Alywin, i don't think there is any parking associated with the existing building, nor is there any proposed as part of the development, reasoning being that it will be short stay accomodation notionally linked to the station so will not need parking.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

One would have thought professionals could afford a proper Hotel. But what do I know.
mikej

Post by mikej »

But Eagle, there are no proper hotels in this area!
Kate R Park

Post by Kate R Park »

MikeJ, there is the chain 'hotel' (Premier Inn/Travelodge?) near Ancaster Nissan, although that's a bit of a stroll from either of the Penge stations.

I confess that I do feel uneasy about the squeezing in of 16 studios, with shared facilities. I just get the sense that the retention of the bar/restaurant space is a nod to community requirements. We went to Beer Rebellion, Late Knight's 'pop-up' pub in Gipsy Hill last Saturday, in an attempt to try one of the burgers that we'd missed at lunchtime at Alexandra nurseries. The 'pub' there is probably about 20m2 in the front bar (including the bar), 15m2 in the back bar, and about the same in the downstairs room, plus loos and various other rooms for cooking/storage/whatever. In all, I'd think they'd got around 80m2 to work with and, to be honest, the operation could be best described as chaotic. The beer is very good :wink: Didn't get a burger though :cry:

If 80m2 is true, and dependant on whether that includes 'back of house' and facilities, I just don't think it's enough to try and run an establishment serving food and drink.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Sincerely hope I am wrong but this all sounds like a stepping stone to social housing of an inferior kind .
No doubt it will appeal to the hi-density contingent that frequents this forum bit I for one am suspicious ...
A very good evening
Nigel
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Evening all. I'm led to believe the developer is keen to sublet the ground floor to somebody else who'll run a bar or bistro for them. The size is small but I believe if Late Knights do become the tenants (and talks are ongoing apparently) they'd make a massive success of it. The place in Gipsy Hill (Beer Rebellion) is a tad shabby but is actually my favourite pub in South East London. It's so friendly and that's down to the boys and girls who work there and manage it. If they deliver the same 8 superb ever-changing beers and fantastic friendly staff (plus the burgers!) then I for one will be in there every bloody night!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Nigel wrote:Sincerely hope I am wrong but this all sounds like a stepping stone to social housing of an inferior kind .
No doubt it will appeal to the hi-density contingent that frequents this forum bit I for one am suspicious ...
A very good evening
Nigel
I'd be suspicious if you weren't; I'd think you'd changed the medication :)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

As Kate says huge Budget Hotel just down the road in Croydon Road. You cannot get more basic than that chain, a hostel in itself.

Would be good if Late Knight's take up residence , but in danger of repeating and repeating myself The Moon and Stars usually has a minimum of two of their beers at any one time. Less than 5 mins walk from Alexandra.