Free loft insulation - Mark Group

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Edoss

Free loft insulation - Mark Group

Post by Edoss »

Hi everyone,

New to Sydenham (1 month) and new to the forum (1 minute)!

I had a representative from Mark Group cold-call at my house last night in the Thorpes, talking about 'ECO funding' and the possibility of getting my loft insulation re-done for free provided that it was insufficient (didn't cover the joists). Apparently conversation areas are being targeted. This is some collaboration between government and energy company initiatives.

First time properly looking up in the loft, and the insulation recently done in 2012 was poorly done. The insulation has not been put between / over the joists and just rests - in patches - on loose boards. The representative was a little surprised by the poor quality job and told me I may be eligible.

Funny thing I noticed afterwards - via a 'receipt' pinned to the attic ceiling - was that the insulation done in 2012 by none other than Mark Group!

Just wondered if anyone else around has been cold-called by this company recently? And perhaps if anyone had their loft insulated by them sometime in the last couple of years? Trying to work out whether its worth even progressing with them if they indeed offer to do it for free.

Ed
stone-penge

Re: Free loft insulation - Mark Group

Post by stone-penge »

The eligibility for ECO( Energy Company Obligation)funding that will insulate lofts and cavity walls(and thus cut Carbon emissions) is due to be widened on 1st April, these changes are related to the politics behind ever increasing energy bills outcry you may remember from last Autumn.
In order to be seen to be doing something the Government implemented changes to ECO to cut fuel bills by £50 a year.(Remember these energy efficiency improvements are funded not by direct taxation but through everyones fuel bills)
To achieve this the government has doubled the length of time the ECO will run without increasing the amount of money the Energy firms must spend; they have cut the Obligation funding in half, is perhaps a better way of understanding it.
The government has scaled back the ambitions ECO had for improving solid wall properties by using(more expensive) internal and external insulation on solid walled houses and has fallen back to general loft and Cavity wall measures that were the mainstay of the CERT scheme that ECO was supposed to replace at the start of 2013
Before these changes on 1st of April the loft and Cavity wall insulation was only to be funded in one element of ECO (CSCo) in the lowest 15% areas of deprivation LSOAs. This as now been changed to the lowest 25%.
In another element of ECO (CERO) they are also allowing loft and Cavity wall insulation as the primary measure
Hence increased door knocking by Mark Group and others.
If you can get it done for 'free' then get it, its your money after all....
Janeco

Re: Free loft insulation - Mark Group

Post by Janeco »

They called on us last year and, while sceptical re cold callers, decided to proceed with them as they promised much deeper insulation in the loft at no cost to us. It was done without fuss and, as far as I can determine, correctly. A recent survey, including our loft, expressed concern about the boards (already in place) in the loft possibly lying directly on the joists but the insulation was deemed fine.