Project Zanzibar–creating a venue that’s right for Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: Project Zanzibar–creating a venue that’s right for Syden

Post by Eagle »

This is an absolute disgrace.

What other areas would someone who lost still be allowed to carry on disrupting peoples lives , awaiting an appeal.

Perhaps Mr Dowd could show his worth AND close the place down NOW
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

I don't know how legal it is but has anyone thought of discreetly filming the weekly disturbance? Might be worth attaching it as evidence to your complaints.
susan

Post by susan »

THIS IS AN EDITED VERSION (personal info removed) of the email I sent regarding the Zanzibar nightclub:-

<I don't want to spoil young people's fun but .....

The weekend before last I had to call the police at approx 2 am because of intolerable noise from the Zanzibar revellers arriving/parking on their arrival, concern that their two security men were directing traffic along Kirkdale (surely only police have that right?), parking on a driveway, and watching two men urinating in a driveway across the road.

This weekend, once again woken up at 2 am because of intolerable noise from the revellers arriving. I went outside three times to stop cars from parking in my driveway. The first two moved off without undue incident, but the third car of four young men were foul-mouthed when I told them the driveway was private property. They initially refused to move, were foul-mouthed and intimidating. I stood my ground until they drove off (when they then promptly parked in the disabled bay).

Surely there must be laws regarding noise pollution in the early hours of the morning (2 am); the right to undisturbed sleep Friday and Saturday nights, and the right to live free from verbal abuse, intimidation and fear.

I will continue to confront them when they wake me up and deprive me of a night's sleep. They are inconsiderate bullies.

They also litter the street and gardens with cigarette butts, empty cans and advertising pamphlets/leaflets. I resent my council tax being used to clean their mess up. And why should our hard-working street cleaners have to do it?>

[/size]
Conker

Post by Conker »

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Why do not the police instruct the Council to close NOW.

People's lives are being made a misery .

As I said Mr Dowd could redeem himself by closing it NOW.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

That really is abysmal that you have had to experience that Susan.

I have heard back from Cllr Best, the council has scheduled the public meeting for the 7pm, 23rd of July at the grove centre. Flyers are being organised. Please let everyone know. It is important that there is a much attendance as possible.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

I emailed Chris Best and Sgt Abbott today about the community meeting for the 23rd as I had not heard anything further publicising this with only 2 days to go. Has anyone else heard or received anything about this? It seems terribly disorganised and I doubt many residents will go if they don't know about it!!
michael wells

Post by michael wells »

I live about 100 metres away from this club. ..the security the club provide at the start of the evening is terrible. ..how they have the authority to close the road leading to my house is wrong...I have to prove I live there by showing my parking permit. .after the club finishes the security is non existent. ...I have actually seen women from the club picking up the drainage grills which are in the garage forcout and start hitting each other with them. ...the club can not control its clients...upsetting the neighbours. ..noise till 5 am...if they all pissed off and went home when it ended, id be fine with it...but they dont....
sorry zanzibar but im a resident near your club and I think its time u moved on....ill be at the meeting. .x
wen

Post by wen »

In the meantime, even though I'm not that close to the club, I have received a letter from Zanzibar dated 20 July apparently from the new operations manager, Terence Reid, who signs by way of Microsoft Word font. I can't scan it right now, but the usual things - club is under new management since end of May 2014, new guy met with neighbours during the past weeks and I quote "most are happy with the changes we have already made" :lol:

Apparently these are the new changes:
- controlling access to Peak Hill Avenue and Spring hill to keep disturbance to minimum
- team of up to 8 traffic stewards on busy nights to direct traffic/parking along Kirkdale
- stewards will actively encourage customers to leave quietly and "reframe from playing their music in their cars loud"
- no parking traffic cones are being placed along kirkdale to stop customers from blocking driveways of residents
- also provide a yahoo email address and a hotline no. (mobile phone) for residents to report concerns/problems.

You'll excuse me if I'd rather contact the police or the council if I have concerns. And I'm sure there'll be many people who can confirm how much of the above is all fairytale...

Quite disappointed that the meeting for tomorrow does not seem to have been advertised apart from on here! Fingers crossed enough residents are able to turn up, since it's at the Grove Centre
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

Yes, I have had the same letter, and I feel misleading in saying the club is under new management......Terrance Reid refers to himself as the new 'operations manager' however I have been informed by the licensing Sgt that the club licence remains with the same Mr John Wright, or more correctly with Midas management ltd, of which he is company director..

In my experience, nothing has changed for the better since May....in fact it is worse... I am now disturbed by music from the club in addition to the usual disturbances.

Amongst other things,
I am outraged not only that they have the gall to block off my road, but to boast about it.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I assume it is this "Decision" published in June which is being appealed: http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ ... px?Id=1546 which Lewisham Licensing Officers will be explaining. I haven't found anything which says what effect the public meeting today 23rd will have. Is it informative or a means of emphasising objections and if so to what avail?