Project Zanzibar–creating a venue that’s right for Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Re: Project Zanzibar–creating a venue that’s right for Syden

Post by leenewham »

Good luck Belinda, it's a shame he didn't see the light.

We need something like this locally. I'm sure it would be a great success. But it needs a community minded, forward thinking, enlightened landlord to come forward.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Really sorry this didn't work out for you and Louise, Belinda. If we can save the Windmill, perhaps we can work together on a programme of events there? I think lots of people will remember how well the Windmill worked for the Bollywood event.

Please PM me Belinda if you want to talk.

Do we know if John is appealing against Lewisham's democratically reached decision on the licensing btw?
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

Yes very sorry to hear this Belinda, that is a real shame as would have been exactly the ticket for this area. Have you had any success elsewhere?
BelindaLester

Post by BelindaLester »

Thanks to all for your good wishes and ideas - Mary, we are very interested in the potential of the Windmill....I'd love to chat and will drop you a note

Please feel free to contact either of us if you have ideas for spaces for entertainment/food/music - doesn't matter if they're currently under-loved or under-used

We'll keep you posted on our plans - thanks again!
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

What happens to the Zanzibar club now? He seems to have lost the goodwill of people trying to help him, will he just revert back to profit taking? And not considering his neighbours at all. :roll:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

They have maintained without the exceptional late hours they would be uneconomic. We shall see,

Perhaps they will return to the Island in the Indian Ocean , which we swapped for Heligoland in 1890's.
marymck

Post by marymck »

I believe the owner is appealing against Lewisham's Licensing Committee's decision.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

One must presume no more late nights though. Cannot see them winning appeal .
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Now he has demonstrated he has no wish to be part of the community, I think he will be lucky to keep any license at all.

If there is any disturbance of the peace with the club, the council should shut it down. Period. No more chances.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

That's exactly what I was thinking Lee.
He doesn't seem bothered, he pays lip service to the authorities, just to shut them up but doesn't carry out the many recommendations, he has had his chance,give someone who cares the opportunity to develop something for the local community.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

I have been informed that the landlord of Zanzibar is indeed appealing the councils decision in regards the reduced hours.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

He appears to have a total disregard of the rules,I hope his appeal is turned down.
kam-syd

Post by kam-syd »

Club had a 5am chuckout this morning, usual disruption, cars everywhere, playing loud music and beeping, shouting, litter being dropped. :evil:
Has the appeal been heard and reversed the committee ruling?
@Chris Best - what is the update here?
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Yep, had me awake too this morning. It had been so nice being able to sleep on Sunday mornings past 5am recently.
I'm in collingtree and my bedroom faces the petrol station/club exit so the sound to me is like being at the end of a megaphone, helped along by the trees in the green.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What the dickens is going on.

I appreciate the are appealing ( though not to the locals ). However one would assume until and if they win the appeal they should close at the new hours.

I suggest everyone bombard the council asking what the hell is going on.
marymck

Post by marymck »

And maybe bombard Duwayne Brooks?
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

The appeal date has now been set at Bromley Magistrates Court for a 4 day hearing from the 16 - 20 September. I understand from Lewisham Licensing Officers that Mr Wright has to submit his bundle of papers 42 days before the hearing and that he intents to call 8 witnesses.

Lewisham will be responding as the Committee decided upon a 2am closing time. Officers have asked that residents continue to keep a log of the disturbances and will be arranging a local meeting in the near future.

Mr Wright can continue to operate under his existing licence until the appeal is determined. I understand that further improvements are required by the Fire Brigade and the space is supposed to be sound proofed although residents have said they can hear the base.

I hope many residents will put the date in their dairy as a good show of support for reducing the late night license is important.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Chris Best wrote: Mr Wright can continue to operate under his existing licence until the appeal is determined.
My understanding is that while the appeal is waiting to be heard, the Council's licensing committee's decision stands.

This is from Lewisham's own "Guidance for Interested Parties" ...
NB - Courts will not issue orders suspendin
g the effects of any licensing authority
decision, whilst an appeal is waiting
to be heard. The licensing authority's
decision will take effect immediately,
until the outcome of any appeal is known.
And this is the link to that guidance ...

https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/SiteCollect ... cision.pdf

So it would seem to me that, as the licensing committee voted in favour of a 2.00 a.m. closing that that ruling stands until the Court makes its decision.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mary
you confirm my thoughts on the matter.

The council has ruled, not before time.

Any appeal may alter the situation but up to them surely the council should insist the new time adhered to.
TheDon

Post by TheDon »

Perhaps you should remember how well this has been dealt with by our currnt representatives come Thursday. Seems that last night is a timely reminder of how our council can't or won't deal with this to the satisfaction of those affected.